Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Own a 2011 Chrysler 200. I’m the only owner. About a month ago I tried using my remote start in the morning and nothing. Figuring it was the batteries I changed them and the next day it worked. A couple days later I ran into the same issue however this time the unlock door button wouldn’t work either. I manually unlocked, set the alarm off and went on my way to work. I get to work and shut the car off and when I take the keys out it’s saying the keys are still in ignition. I don’t have time to deal with it then so go into work. End of the day the key fob is working just fine. Over the last month this happens at least a couple times a week. Sometimes it last for a couple days where every time I take the key out I get the key in ignition still and the key fob won’t work. I planned to have it looked at when I got income tax back and had some extra money.
I hasn’t had any issues this week yet until come this morning and the car won’t start. It clicks and the lights flash on then nothing. When I take the key out I’m getting key in ignition message again. My fiancé tried jumping me thinking at first it was a battery issue but still nothing. I’m pretty certain there is something going on with the ignition?? Anyone have this issue?

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S
172 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Does the chime ding when opening the drivers door when it thinks that the key is still in the ignition?
There is a key-in switch that may be sticking 'on'. It is located at the far end of the ignition key cylinder.
I have sometimes been able to spray a shot of graphite lube/solvent, followed by a short blast of compressed air into the keyhole. This may dislodge any debris that may be keeping the switch stuck on. Have a rag handy to wipe up any overspray. Otherwise the ignition switch will have to come out for inspection and service.
The remote start feature won't work and it may set off the alarm if it thinks that a key is left in the ignition.

* Key-In-Ignition Warning - The CCN (instrument cluster) will generate repetitive chimes at a fast rate to indicate that hard wired inputs from the driver door ajar switch, the ignition switch, and the key-in ignition switch circuitry of the ignition switch indicate that the key is in the ignition in the lock position with the driver side front door open and the ignition switch in the Off position. The chimes will continue to sound until the key is removed from the ignition lock cylinder, the driver side front door is closed, or the ignition switch is turned to the On position, whichever occurs first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. Yes it does ding when I open my door. Just like a key was actually still in the ignition. Another thing that I’ve noticed which I’m not sure how it’s related but I’ve gotten to the point where I can tell when the car is going to start acting up. The little clock above my radio unit glows blue. If the clock light isn’t working then I know once I stop my car and turn it off that I’m going to get the key in ignition issue. If I’m driving the clock is blue I’m good. Again I don’t know what that would have to do with anything.
Someone mentioned that it could be something with my remote start and to try the key fob without the remote start. I’m currently looking for my spare key. Probably a long shot but I really need my car

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S
172 Posts
Interesting to hear about the analog clock illumination. The clock lighting is on whenever the cluster or parking/headlamps are on. It has no discrete lighting circuit of its own. Next time it is on, get out and see if the car's external lights (parking/headlamps) are also on.
If the car has automatic headlamps, try moving the light switch to OFF from the A position, except at night when you need headlamps.
If the clock illumination behaves in the same way, it might be interesting if fault codes are stored in the SCM, CCN or TIPM.

www.200forums.com/attachments/techc-pdf.56771/?hash=c6a52288f8b532a97

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts