Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Chrysler 200 limited and I have an oil leak. The car is used and the previous owner was in a car crash so I'm sure it got messed up during that. I got it looked at a few times by the shop and then by an independent mechanic. The shop told me I need a new gasket but also is charging over $1300 for service and the independent mechanic told me my oil leak is coming from my speed sensor and I need to replace the rings on them both. There's a puddle of oil right under where the first speed sensor is. Can anyone confirm that an oil leak could potentially happen from the speed sensor? Also it's a 3.6 L

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
636 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I always begin any fluid leak diagnosis by drying the area off and starting over, especially when you have two conflicting opinions.
If the leak is bad enough to leave a puddle, it is a fairly large leak and should be relatively easy to find.
Spray the area with brake cleaner and let it dry. Leaks usually travel down (gravity) and rearward (road draft). If this is the 6-speed (62TE), the plastic speed sensor or pan could have got bumped in the crash and started leaking. The sensor body may have cracked? or the pan gasket seal my have been broken? Also check the cooler hoses/clamps. Use ATF+4 meeting Chrysler MS-9602 only. Refill lost fluid or go the extra mile and change the fluid and filter.
Always diagnose first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts