Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking into buying a fully loaded C AWD V6 with 9K miles for 19 grand, 1 owner, clean. The bumper to bumper warrantee is just about up.

I really love the look of the car, but I've seen a rash of issues involving the 9 speed tranny and it has me a little nervous. I know the 5yr powertrain covers it, but is it something to be expected, or did they fix the issues with the recall about the harness in the TCM?

I'm not new to Chrysler/Dodge. I've always had their products and have been happy. I just sold my 15' Challenger last week (hard to let go).

I would love to hear some feedback. Thanks...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a new 2016 200C platinum in June of 2017. Car now has 12,000 worry-free miles. The only difference I see between a 2015 and 2016 is that yours may need some computer updates to address/correct potential issues with the transmission etc. You should be able to enter the VIN and see if any updates are needed. A service contract, aka extended warranty, would help ease your mind. $19K is a good price - this model depreciated horribly. I don't care since I keep cars for over 100,000 miles where they are essentially used-up value wise. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
Yes I would be concerned with any new or used car.

That stated, the ZF 9 speed transmission in the V6 200 isn't problem plagued, it's more software update issues and people not understanding how different a 9-speed automatic is different from their old 3,4 or even 5 speed speed automatics in their old car performed.

Additionally, the 9 speed in the 4cyl and V6 are different, the V6 version sees far less issues.

I have had zero issues with my transmission in my 2015 - 72,000 miles now. This is the most enjoyable car I have owned.

·
Registered
562 Posts
V6, awd, fully loaded, low miles, go for it. It will depreciate in value like crazy, that's American cars in general anyway, bought mine for $18k six months ago, now it's worth $13k, get gap coverage.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes I would be concerned with any new or used car.

That stated, the ZF 9 speed transmission in the V6 200 isn't problem plagued, it's more software update issues and people not understanding how different a 9-speed automatic is different from their old 3,4 or even 5 speed speed automatics in their old car performed.

Additionally, the 9 speed in the 4cyl and V6 are different, the V6 version sees far less issues.

I have had zero issues with my transmission in my 2015 - 72,000 miles now. This is the most enjoyable car I have owned.
I can agree on this statement, i have a V6 and the only concern I've had was the couple gear shift jerks.

If you get the car I'll let you know now, those are dog clutch catches. Shifting between 2-3 and 7-8 you will probably see or feel a small delay or a quick jerk depending on speeds.

There was an update to this within the year of it coming out. What i did was immediately get it looked at and made sure that the car pcm was completely updated soft ware as well.

Only problem i got is bouncing back n forth with the water pump and thermostat from spraying.

It depreciates, get gap , FCA, get warranties, i got a 6 year 100k.mi.

I currently have 37.6k.mi. on mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I am currently shopping for one as well. May I ask if your $19K figure is OTD or is it before Tax, tax, title and dealer fee?

Craig

Hello all,

I'm looking into buying a fully loaded C AWD V6 with 9K miles for 19 grand, 1 owner, clean. The bumper to bumper warrantee is just about up.

I really love the look of the car, but I've seen a rash of issues involving the 9 speed tranny and it has me a little nervous. I know the 5yr powertrain covers it, but is it something to be expected, or did they fix the issues with the recall about the harness in the TCM?

I'm not new to Chrysler/Dodge. I've always had their products and have been happy. I just sold my 15' Challenger last week (hard to let go).

I would love to hear some feedback. Thanks...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

My car should be here at the end of the week. I paid $19k with fees included, minus tax.

Add $1.5K for bumper to bumper warrantee for 100k miles.

Out the door $20,500.

I think I got a great deal for a completely loaded car with AWD V6 and 9k miles, and not having to worry about it for years to come is a bonus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone so much for the feedback.

Much appreciated. I will post some pics when it arrives.

Thanks,

Austin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Austin, sounds like you got a really good deal!!! Can you post a screenshot of your window sticker so we can see you cars content?

Use this link but replace this VIN with your VIN.....When you do a screenshot simply exclude or hide your vin in the photo.

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CCAEG8HH552096

Craig

Thank you.

My car should be here at the end of the week. I paid $19k with fees included, minus tax.

Add $1.5K for bumper to bumper warrantee for 100k miles.

Out the door $20,500.

I think I got a great deal for a completely loaded car with AWD V6 and 9k miles, and not having to worry about it for years to come is a bonus.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2015 200 C AWD V6. I already had the transmission changed once. I bought it new and I don't think the car had 12000 miles on it when the transmission went south. It wasn't that it stopped working at that time, it's just the RPM shot up when shifting from 2-1. It was a big enough surge to cause the car to surge. Bad when you're coming up behind someone at a stoplight. I actually had someone run into the back of me when I was in my van that claimed the same type of problem. Her car surged when stopping. It was not a Chrysler that hit me but I am assuming it was the same type of transmission from Germany. On my second transmission, the same problem happens but at different shifting times from the first. If I accelerate to sixty quickly and then let off of the gas quickly, the transmission gets lost on what to do next. Usually, it just stays in the same gear it was in when I let off of the gas. I think it's third or fourth and runs 3000-4000 rpm for a time before it decides to shift down to 1500 RPM where it should be. This tranny definitely has issues. It gets worse when it gets fully warmed up. Right now I would feel very uneasy if I had to take this car on a long trip. The Chrysler people usually monitor this website. They always tell me to take it in to my dealer. Anybody who owns this type of car knows that the problems that occur don't always happen on command. They happen randomly so having a tech riding with you may not produce the desired results. I can only try to take video of the RPM indicator and show them that driving at 60 MPH at 3200 RPM is not normal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
There we go! :D

Well with all of the horror stories at least I'm getting bumper to bumper for 5 more years 100k miles. Looks like mine doesn't have any recalls (it had one for a radio security issue thats been resolved). I think it was built early 2015 not 2014 so hopefully the bugs got somewhat worked out by then.

·
Registered
344 Posts
There we go!

Well with all of the horror stories at least I'm getting bumper to bumper for 5 more years 100k miles. Looks like mine doesn't have any recalls (it had one for a radio security issue thats been resolved). I think it was built early 2015 not 2014 so hopefully the bugs got somewhat worked out by then.
V6 and a good car, just need warranties. Treat the car nicely and it will do the same for you. Grats on the purchase.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If I accelerate to sixty quickly and then let off of the gas quickly, the transmission gets lost on what to do next. Usually, it just stays in the same gear it was in when I let off of the gas. I think it's third or fourth and runs 3000-4000 rpm for a time before it decides to shift down to 1500 RPM where it should be.
Mine does the same thing, first time it happened I had to brake real hard, while the trans wanted to keep the car going, they should have tested that transmission a lot more before putting it into production.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
That's the thing, the transmission is fine, it's just doesn't function the same way an old 6 or 5-speed transmission does, and if you don't know what to expect, you will think there is a problem when there really isn't. This same ZF transmission is in many other brands now including Acura.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
This transmission is different than anything else you've ever driven. That being said, my 2015 has already 4 trips from Québec city, Canada to Miami, Florida with nothing to worry about. The "surge" described above is a normal behavior for these transmission and has been documented on this forum a couple years ago. I don't have time to find the post now but a search would probably allow you to read on the "surge".

the dog clutch is not between 1-2 and 7-8 as stated above, the dog clutch is between 4th and 5th and will shift hard sometime when the car is cold (I mean Canada cold). this is a weird feeling when it shifts hard but completely normal, just go easy when cold if you live somewhere that has a winter season.

The 2nd to 3rd hard shift is not experimented by everyone and can be somewhat fixed by a software update. Some will tell you that the update didn't fix it, other will tell you that the update works.

Accelerating quickly to 60MPH and 6th gear and letting go of the gas is not a normal driving situation and the transmission will get lost sometime between 4th, 5th and 6th because the ratio are very close and it doesn't know in which gear it should be but Under normal driving conditions you will not feel anything wrong.

this transmission is not perfect but the V6 version of it has proven after 4 years to be reliable if all the recalls are done and all the updates are done.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Stumbling back into this thread i found out they're messing with the trans again? Much i seen was a schematic and looks like it will probably be just for RWD? The 1st Dog Clutch to be changed to a standard clutch and quite a bit of hard component changes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts