Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Car has some hail damage which I don't particularly care about, hence why it is cheap ($4k CAD = ~$3k USD), which is why I was looking at it in the first place. I wanted to see if anyone has any general suggestions for things to check beyond normal buying used cars tips (I mean I might as well take those as well though).

Some details:
  • The car has 145k km (= 90k miles) on it.
  • The owner has informed me that there is a fault code of P0456 (evaporative emissions system – small leak detected) meaning that the CEL is on
After reading up on the car's 'common problems' (from some google searches), it seems like these/this model(s) have issues with random engine stalls, jerky transmission shifts, and failed passenger heating have made me really anxious about possibly purchasing this car. Any general or specific advice on the fixability of these problems would be helpful. I'm a DYI kinda guy but the repair procedure to fix the engine stalls (which the previous site makes it sound like would fix the problem if it should arise in this car).

·
Super Moderator
2,612 Posts
Don't buy it because the seller/dealer is lying since there is no such thing as a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited AWD.

You know what I take it back.

Things to look out for - look under the car and see if you see a small rear pumpkin (axle) with 2 CV axles connected to the rear wheels, if you do, buy the car because it's custom since Chrysler never made a 2013 Chrysler 200 AWD, they did make a Sebring with AWD, a swap could be done - quite the complicated mess of a modification I would think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't buy it because the seller/dealer is lying since there is no such thing as a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited AWD.

Wow, I would have never guessed to even verify if a car model exists, thanks for the heads up. They didn't specifically write it down, it was selected from a drop-down, so I wonder if it was a mistake on his part? Either way, I asked about it and we'll see what he says.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked if it has AWD and he said no, it's FWD. I'd like to believe him but admittedly I don't have much experience buying used cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the VIN. With it you can get a bit of information, e.g. get a carfax report (may be a cost) or original window sticker. Go to one of the auto sites, edmunds, kbb, etc and get price estimates and reviews. Lots of information using this internet thing...

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
560 Posts
As with any 8 year-old used car, carefully look the car over. If the guy kept the car maintained and cared for it like a family pet, you can tell and it will show.
If he kept the car clean and kept receipts, that helps. If there is a story behind the car, listen to it's history.
If it seems like he is trying to dump or flip the car, that may also be apparent and something that sets off alarms.
Drive the car. Listen for unusual noises or vibrations. Make sure that you try all the controls and that "everything works".
An 8 year-old car may need attention to things like tires, battery, fluid changes, tune-ups, etc. Any worn parts have to be considered "maintenance" at this age. A high odometer reading may be OK if the car was well-cared for. You might expect the car to need "some" repairs.
Any accident damage may be acceptable as long as the repair was done correctly by a competent technician.
Bring a friend along for a 2nd opinion and support about the purchase. He may notice something that you didn't.
Between the 2 of you, you should be able to make an educated buying decision. It will be your choice. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2013 Limited with the V6. It has 123,000 Km. The heater problem would have shown up years ago. The jerky transmission was eliminated with software updates. If it has the 4 cylinder engine, the stalling was mainly caused by low oil levels because the VVT used oil pressure . The engine would shut down to prevent failure. I like the V6 and would stay away from the 4 cylinder.

Considering the 145,000 Km on the car, it is close to quite a bit of maintenance on the V6. Plugs are due at 160,000 Km and is expensive to have it done ($400). The coolant needs replacement at 10 years. The serpentine belt is due for replacement, unless it has already been done. When I replace mine, I am planning on also doing the tensioner, idler, and alternator. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and have had it rustproofed each year since it was new. I guess it boils down to how the car has been maintained, and how much rust has occurred.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts