Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 2012 hardtop convert, and starting to go through things to fix.

First up is the drivers power seat, which works in every way except the forward/backward directions.

a) any way to manually adjust in the meantime before doing a full repair/replace of motor (if it is that) later?

b) any advice on trouble shooting it in the long term? Switch works for all other directions, so don't think it's switch. Perhaps its specific to the front/back motor?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,156 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Do you hear a 'click' when trying to operate the seat fore and aft?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forums. Do you hear a 'click' when trying to operate the seat fore and aft?
Hi, thanks for the reply!

Yes! When I push it (forward or back) I hear a faint click, kind like a "tick." Not as loud as the click/buzz that I hear when I move it in the other (operable) directions.

EDIT: Just in case, this is the power seat button style with just the base of the seat power/electric. The back is lever operated. I have seen some power seat buttons with both a base and a seat back power button.

·
Super Moderator
1,156 Posts
The seat can unbolt from the floor and be tipped backwards to work underneath with the wiring still connected. The click may be from the fore/aft motor trying to turn? You should be able to tell which one is clicking by placing your hand on it. Be careful about pinch points with your hand in there.
Short speedometer-type cables transfer the rotation to the track pinion & worm gears. There may be a binding condition that is jamming the fore/aft drive?
The inboard and outboard tracks must be kept parallel with no interference.
The cables should flex enough to be removable. This should assist in finding the jam. These are serviced as an assembly (see # 7).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seat can unbolt from the floor and be tipped backwards to work underneath with the wiring still connected. The click may be from the fore/aft motor trying to turn? You should be able to tell which one is clicking by placing your hand on it. Be careful about pinch points with your hand in there.
Short speedometer-type cables transfer the rotation to the track pinion & worm gears. There may be a binding condition that is jamming the fore/aft drive?
The inboard and outboard tracks must be kept parallel with no interference.
The cables should flex enough to be removable. This should assist in finding the jam. These are serviced as an assembly (see # 7).

Thanks for this, and yes, getting at it. Question-- best I can tell, if this is the fore-aft motor, I am able to replace just that unit with this:

Or, by "serviced as an assembly" do you mean, the whole base assmbly of the various motors and track need to be replaced all at once?

·
Super Moderator
1,156 Posts
It is rare (but possible) for the motors to go bad.
Usually the linkage creats a binding situation. At the dealer, we replaced the whole seat adjuster as an assembly in order to reduce the liability of a return visit.
If you can remove the motor drive cables to verify that the motor itself has failed, then go ahead and replace the motor assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts