Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received the following notice today.

TransmissionClass Action.jpg

·
Registered
578 Posts
I only made one complaint so far, hard shift 2-3, went to the dealer, didn't bother test driving the car or anything, they did a software update, didn't change anything.
They wanted to keep the car for 10 days to thoroughly check the transmission, can't do that, I need my car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I received one also, the only persons that benefit from class action lawsuits are the attorneys, but an extended warranty wold be nice to have

·
Super Moderator
1,825 Posts
I received one also, the only persons that benefit from class action lawsuits are the attorneys, but an extended warranty wold be nice to have
The warranty extension only provides one ( 1 ) extra year to the transmission coverage only.
6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Those that provide proof of complaints could receive a cash voucher or a trade-in voucher depending on the number of work orders showing the owner complained of transmission issues and were verified by the dealer.

Has no effect on us. Our car already has 85K, and we purchased the lifetime service contract.

·
Super Moderator
2,441 Posts
89K miles on mine. Zero transmission complaints. Other things have broken but not the engine or transmission.

If they have a class-action for the PTU on the same list of vehicles (a known issue) - I immediately qualify.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I guess this is good news for everyone that purchased new! A little disappointing if you're the second owner like myself. To me this says that there is an inherent design flaw with the transmission. The fact that the dealership has been unable to fix my concerns, despite replacing with a rebuilt transmission solidifies that fact for me.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I bought mine new in Apr 2015. It was built in Mar. I have had no mechanical problems either engine or transmission wise since I bought it. I'm just coming up to my 48000 Kms check. Anyway, I live in Canada so this lawsuit does not effect me.

·
Super Moderator
1,825 Posts
Well I guess this is good news for everyone that purchased new! A little disappointing if you're the second owner like myself. To me this says that there is an inherent design flaw with the transmission. The fact that the dealership has been unable to fix my concerns, despite replacing with a rebuilt transmission solidifies that fact for me.
It doesn't mean their is a "inherent design flaw" with the transmission.
These transmissions are in millions of vehicles ( and brands ) today with the same basic design.
Some had software or programming issues.
Some had a faulty wiring at a connector.
Some didn't operate like people expected a transmission to operate. ( why should it, it's completely different then any other transmission )

Like yatbob stated, the only people to benefit from class action lawsuits are the attorney's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got one of those yesterday too. I don't qualify for the cash payment but the extra year of warranty on the transmission is nice since I am a little worried about it breaking. It's been mostly trouble free but earlier this year I got a "Service Transmission" message and the thing locked itself into 3rd gear and refused to change, even after several restarts. That was an "interesting" drive home but when I was going to take it in to the dealer the next morning it had fixed itself. Nice to know that if it happens again in the next 2 years I am covered by warranty.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I received one also. I went through my dealer sheets and I have 5 definite complaints for "rough shifts" and possibly 6. The last one just stated that I brought it in for TCM/PCM software updates on the dealer form. So I need clarification to see if that counts or if the dealer has more detailed info in their system for that visit. 5 is worth $800, 6+ is worth $2000.

My other concern is that I bought it using my dad's employee discount. I read somewhere that with EP you can't sue under lemon the law, but I'm hoping it doesn't exclude me from class action.

I have to weigh the cash or trade in. The fact that FCA settled for such high dollar amounts makes me think that they believe this transmission will fail after 6 years (I'll never get 100k miles in that time) and are trying to cut their losses.

My car has a periodic hard shift into 5th. When I say hard I mean it feels like you've been rear ended by a bulldozer. Sometimes its smooth as butter....sometimes it almost causes whiplash. I can't recreate it....its just completely random.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've still got complaints even after having the transmission changed. I continue to have little intermittant annoying faults. Latest one being the vehicle wont come out of first gear. 25 mph at 3000-4000 rpm. It wont shift at all. I have to stop and try again. The dealer and Chrysler wanted the car for 2 weeks as you have stated. They were willing to give me a loaner but if my car didnt show a problem in that 2 weeks, the dealer was going to charge me for the loaner. Nobody knows your car better than you. I declined to take them up on their generous offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my 200c only a couple of months, and I too have been experiencing the harsh 2-3 shift. (which it didn't seem to do so much on the test drive, of course) It had a harsh 1-2 shift as well, but the firmware update has mitigated that problem. It's disappointing as the rest of the shifts are seamless. I'm kind of wondering if it's a throttle calibration issue, as it lurches like the engine is running out of breath, but if I give it full or near full throttle, the shift is firm, but less abrupt. When I got the update done, the mechanic scrawled "shifts as designed" on the invoice. Which seems to indicate that they've seen many of these complaints but can't do anything about it.

The car is so schizophrenic... I love many things about it, but also am quite disappointed. It feels like an unfinished effort that could have been world class, but was given up on when it was almost there. (and now discontinued) Killed by corporate red tape and general incompetence I suppose. After many years of buying Mopars, I think this will be my last one.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've had my 200c only a couple of months, and I too have been experiencing the harsh 2-3 shift. (which it didn't seem to do so much on the test drive, of course) It had a harsh 1-2 shift as well, but the firmware update has mitigated that problem. It's disappointing as the rest of the shifts are seamless. I'm kind of wondering if it's a throttle calibration issue, as it lurches like the engine is running out of breath, but if I give it full or near full throttle, the shift is firm, but less abrupt. When I got the update done, the mechanic scrawled "shifts as designed" on the invoice. Which seems to indicate that they've seen many of these complaints but can't do anything about it.

The car is so schizophrenic... I love many things about it, but also am quite disappointed. It feels like an unfinished effort that could have been world class, but was given up on when it was almost there. (and now discontinued) Killed by corporate red tape and general incompetence I suppose. After many years of buying Mopars, I think this will be my last one.
Mopar cars are good, just avoid the ZF, stick to a car with the 8 speed and it will be good to go.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm on my third transmission, much of the detail is documented on this forum. Car was with two dealerships for a period of 3 weeks. Probably 4-5 actual visits. Now my 4-5 shift is exactly as Ilcamino describes his above; almost like being hit from behind. Dealer can't reproduce it therefore it doesn't exist. I am just living with it. We will have to see if FCA actually agrees to the terms in the letter about the class action suit.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm on my third transmission, much of the detail is documented on this forum. Car was with two dealerships for a period of 3 weeks. Probably 4-5 actual visits. Now my 4-5 shift is exactly as Ilcamino describes his above; almost like being hit from behind. Dealer can't reproduce it therefore it doesn't exist. I am just living with it. We will have to see if FCA actually agrees to the terms in the letter about the class action suit.
Sucks that it's that bad, my 2-3 shifts hard, but not bad enough to feel like I got hit, once in a while it kicks real hard when I am 2/3 throttle or more, so the higher the rev when it shifts, the harder it kicks, and when at full throttle, it will disconnect for a second then kick into third real hard.
I hope you'll get that cash voucher though.

Third transmission, you should look into getting a lawyer and get out of your loan..., And get another car at a big discount.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I mentioned to my dealer that "I cant be the only one having problems with this type of transmission". Their response was pretty much "yes you are," rather than take responsibility for it. They ought to be ashamed of themselves for playing it down rather than take the side of their customer. My dealer is located in a remote area of Ohio, so I would think they would do everything to satisfy their customers rather than lose one for something like this. I have stated on this website before that my vehicle still has transmission glitches even after the dealer replaced it. Chrysler tried one time to fix it. Now they think their responsibility has ended. The dealer told me years ago that this transmission is German built and that the dealer has limited access to it. Fixing it is extremely limited to external parts only.

·
Super Moderator
2,441 Posts
The dealer told me years ago that this transmission is German built and that the dealer has limited access to it.
Limited access to it? That is probably the dumbest complete lie I have ever heard from a dealership. So then... BMW and Mercedes Benz can't be fixed at a dealer because they are German?

If I buy a Lexus GS350 from a Lexus dealership, they are off the hook for repairs since it's one of the few vehicles left actually 100% made in Japan?

I would take it to another dealer and make sure FCA knows how badly they are being represented by this dealership.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I mentioned to my dealer that "I cant be the only one having problems with this type of transmission". Their response was pretty much "yes you are," rather than take responsibility for it. They ought to be ashamed of themselves for playing it down rather than take the side of their customer. My dealer is located in a remote area of Ohio, so I would think they would do everything to satisfy their customers rather than lose one for something like this. I have stated on this website before that my vehicle still has transmission glitches even after the dealer replaced it. Chrysler tried one time to fix it. Now they think their responsibility has ended. The dealer told me years ago that this transmission is German built and that the dealer has limited access to it. Fixing it is extremely limited to external parts only.
You might be the only one at that dealer with the problems if they sold very limited amounts of the 200. I bought my 200 from a dealer that mostly sold SUV's and Trucks. It's more remote by being outside of the DC region and they seemed to not know as much about the car as the other vehicles due to this. Dealers in the city region were more familiar with the cars. You maybe having similar issue and just need to go to another dealer.

The transmission is German designed, the v6 versions were built in South Carolina along with the Honda and Range Rover ZF trans, while the 4 cylinder versions were built by Chrysler along with the Jeep trans.

I had checked with my dealer about how much it would cost to rebuild these. My 200's warranty expires in about 2 months, will have 100k miles in that time. So I was curious in case it needs to be rebuilt. I was told these are not rebuild-able, only replaceable at a cost of $7000 new with labor. That might explain why your dealer stated they have limited access to them. They cannot work on the actual transmissions, only replace.

There was a TSB put out last year for a software update on the transmission. I just had this done a few weeks ago myself, since my original dealer failed to see this and install it. It fixed many of the issues I had on my transmission. Check with a different dealer on any service bulletins. Had this not been done, I myself would have mostly likely traded this car off a few weeks ago. My transmission was simply slamming into the gears far too hard and unnaturally to what it used to shift like a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts