Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I brought my car to the dealer today and as I expected they have to replace the PTU.
All though I didn't buy car from them, they are treating me pretty good. They set me up with a rental (A Toyota Yaris bleeech) covered under the power train warranty.
They had to order it so I don't think I'll get my car back until next Monday or Tuesday.
I'm really hoping this is the last of the problems with this car. I really like it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took mine in today as I too got the AWD System Unavailable error that would come and go intermittently. Although I didn't buy my car from my local dealer, they treat me well every time I go in. They looked at it this afternoon, and called me back within a few hours to tell me that the PTU needs to be replaced. they have to order the part, and it will be there on Thursday. In the meantime, I picked up the car, and will drive it minimally until this is resolved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The AWD service required message came up on my 2015 Chrysler 200C AWD at 46025 miles. I took it in to the dealership and they said the earliest appointment they have is for next wednesday. They also said PTU issues aren't covered by my power train warranty. When I told them that I have extended bumper to bumper I bought at the dealership, they said it may cover it! I looked at the service schedule on their website and their service schedule shows that they have plenty of service appointments available this week and the next week. I feel like I am being lied to and I don't know how this is going to work out!

·
Registered
840 Posts
The AWD service required message came up on my 2015 Chrysler 200C AWD at 46025 miles. I took it in to the dealership and they said the earliest appointment they have is for next wednesday. They also said PTU issues aren't covered by my power train warranty. When I told them that I have extended bumper to bumper I bought at the dealership, they said it may cover it! I looked at the service schedule on their website and their service schedule shows that they have plenty of service appointments available this week and the next week. I feel like I am being lied to and I don't know how this is going to work out!
It's always possible for them to have open appointments, in general, though with no openings with the tech or techs who are certified to do this job..

Seems to me that others here have had the PTU replaced under the power train warranty, though I suppose maybe it was actually under the three-year bumper to bumper. Expect we'll soon hear from them.

·
Super Moderator
2,583 Posts
They also said PTU issues aren't covered by my power train warranty.
They are 100% incorrect. The PTU is covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Mine was replaced well past the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My service awd light just came on with almost 39000 miles going to dealer tomorrow..hope it covered under the power train warrantyIf anyone paid a for PTU = Power Transfer Unit out of pocket how about a rough estimate $$$

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just took my car (83,000 miles) into the dealer last week with this issue. They kept the car and ordered the PTU. Does anyone know if the replacement part has been updated? New part number or revision level?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a CPO 2016 200C AWD with 20K miles on it in Dec. 2018. Started getting the SERV AWD indicator a year later at about 35K. Brought it to my local dealer (not the dealer I purchased it from). They said that the CPU was shot but that they couldn't replace due to the fact that it was a "junkyard" replacement part. That is shocking seeing that I purchased it with low mileage AND why wouldn't the original owner have taken advantage of the warranty? Mysteries abound - taking it into dealership where I purchased it in a week and a half. Stay tuned...

·
Super Moderator
1,926 Posts
Bought a CPO 2016 200C AWD with 20K miles on it in Dec. 2018. Started getting the SERV AWD indicator a year later at about 35K. Brought it to my local dealer (not the dealer I purchased it from). They said that the CPU was shot but that they couldn't replace due to the fact that it was a "junkyard" replacement part. That is shocking seeing that I purchased it with low mileage AND why wouldn't the original owner have taken advantage of the warranty? Mysteries abound - taking it into dealership where I purchased it in a week and a half. Stay tuned...
That was a false statement by the dealer. Chrysler / FCA doesn't use "junkyard" parts for warranty repairs.
Your powertrain warranty is for 60,000 miles, or 5 years, whichever comes first.
A simple call to Chrysler customer service might help.
800-247-9753
Ask for a case number at the end of the call.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the service AWD light on my 2015. Dealer cleared it once but then it appeared again so I took it back. This time they kept it for 3 days and ended up replacing the complete PTU at no cost!

·
Registered
2015 200S AWD
1 Posts
I would like some feedback here...
Had the "AWD system unavailable" light come on 7 months ago on my 2015. Took the vehicle in the following month - dealer said they wanted to replace both shift actuator & ptu - because they believed the ptu had to be replaced to fix the issue properly. But according to them, the "powers that be" said to just replace the shift actuator. Warranty repair so dealer had to do what they were told (according to them). When I got the car back they said "you might be back here in 3 weeks."

Before this light came on, I had been noticing a drop in overall performance for months - car seemed to be dragging, just not as much pep, couldn't accelerate as quick as "normal," and that nice little growl the engine has was gone - it sounded not as powerful - just like every other car out there, whereas before I would get compliments on the sound. In addition, the fuel economy had dipped noticeably - upwards of 5 mpg. I had commented on these things to a "car guy" and said, "there's something not right with my car," but he just chalked it up to the car not being brand new and driving more city miles. For people curious about symptoms surrounding this issue - that is what I was noticing before the light came on.

The car had ~56k miles on it at the time the AWD light came on. I didn't know it at the time but it had about 5 months left on warranty...
I get the car back - the engine sounds louder, the performance is improved, the fuel economy increases by ~3 mpgs (not 5). I was always a little unsure about completely "back to normal" but I figured over time the car would show signs that I could look out for...

Fast forward 5.5 months, I was cruising on the freeway and suddenly needed increased speed asap - was trying to avoid a reckless driver on the freeway driving extremely fast... I gave the pedal ~no more than half max throttle - I needed acceleration, not necessarily max effort which I knew would take too long to get. But still, the car did not respond - even 5 mph increase would have helped in this instance. But I got no acceleration, no increased speed, no sound even of engine revving, nothing. ~2 seconds go by and nothing. Another second and my foot is off the pedal because I'm bracing for impact which thankfully did not occur... But in those moments, I was a sitting duck and feel I should not have been. And I was very rattled afterwards by the other driver and my car's lack of response. We were climbing a steady grade hill when this situation occurred.

Now, I am adamant my car should have responded - should have done something in the time I needed it to respond. Even if all I got was a rev sound, I would have stuck with the pedal. But I got nothing. I told the dealer this and brought it in. They took it for a test drive and couldn't find anything. I tried showing them that I felt the car was dragging at lower pedal input, not more pedal input (because it's going to wind up when you open throttle no matter what car you're in) and that it was taking too long to respond up a hill and seemingly required more pedal input to respond than before. Approximately 7k miles have but put on the car since the repair in December. I have just lapsed my warranty but it is under a month. I'm concerned at this point about the potential of a ptu issue resurfacing some months down the road, and then I'm on the hook for the repair when the dealer (according to them) recommended replacing the ptu last December...

Without being able to recreate the issue I experienced (I tried in a road test but the car responded ok), do I have any options? Besides just documenting everything? I recognize the pragmatist would likely say more evaluation is needed and it will come with time. But time, in this instance is seemingly not on my wallet's side...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all, well after about 25,000 miles of trouble free driving, I received an All Wheel Drive unavailable, service AWD message. The light and warning went away after about 15 seconds. I had started to notice the AWD system taking longer to engage prior to this but thought nothing of it. Brought the car in on Friday and the techs stated it was a PTU issue and they are replacing under warranty (powertrain warranty). Just a heads up, if you own an AWD and get this error, take it in. The tech gave me a loaner because he said the PTU could lock up at any time and cause an accident.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have seen one or two threads but not many comments.
Yes, I did, as you may have read already. Mine had about 35K and experience was similar. I didn't get a loaner, but I did get a new PTU free of charge!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts