Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title would suggest, my PTU went out again. Warranty over.

I've been driving it it less frequently and the fuse to the PTU is disconnected now - maybe put 150 miles since the "srvc AWD" light stayed on permanently - intermittent before. Question is - can I run without the driveshaft connected?

I don't want to end up driving it and have it lock up or something before I can fix it.

It is starting to make noise like an old 10 speed bicycle freewheeling when moving - noise gets faster with speed not engine RPM. It's for sure the PTU - the sound is audible from either side of the front, bearings are fine, CV's are fine etc...

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Sorry to hear of the PTU failure. That is disappointing. If that has been replaced under warranty previously, I believe I would ask Chrysler to provide some ( any ) assistance.

Are rebuilt units available ?

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear of the PTU failure. That is disappointing. If that has been replaced under warranty previously, I believe I would ask Chrysler to provide some ( any ) assistance.

Are rebuilt units available ?
My wife also suggested I check to see if Chrysler would provide assistance since it has failed a few times under warranty. Maybe I will go that route.

I can find new, rebuilt and used units - its the same part number as on the active drive 1 Cherokee (not "Grand" Cherokee - but the small one).

·
Registered
814 Posts
Black Knight,

With the multiple PTU issues you've experienced, I'm curious whether you drive predominantly in "S" mode with the AWD engaged, especially at highway speeds when ascending grades. It occurs to me that the AWD system may actually be under-engineered for this kind of "sporty" usage. I'm speculating that any durability testing was with a lighter duty cycle in mind, such as for the Cherokee with only periodic use at lower speeds for off-road or slippery conditions.

Regardless, I would definitely raise the issue of the repeated failures with FCA. It certainly can't hurt to complain, as these failures really should not be happening.

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Black Knight,

With the multiple PTU issues you've experienced, I'm curious whether you drive predominantly in "S" mode with the AWD engaged, especially at highway speeds when ascending grades. It occurs to me that the AWD system may actually be under-engineered for this kind of "sporty" usage.
I predominately drive on the highway in "D" with the cruise on. My commute is 37-46 miles each way depending on if I take the tollway (faster time longer distance) or the normal highway. I ocassionally step on it in "S" but mostly in the city and not all the time. Too much traffic anyway.

The longer i have owned it the less "fun" I have had with it. I would think that too but if you do some web searching "Cherokee PTU failure" - the problems I am having with my PTU are identical with people with Cherokee's, including driveshaft and rear axle issues. Quite a number of them in fact. Lots of video's etc... Cherokee's, Renegades, Compass - basically all FWD based AWD newer FCA vehicles with the 9-speed.

https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-jeep-cherokee-general-discussion/239476-dreaded-ptu-failure-2016-trailhawk.html

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sorry too hear the bad news B.K. I would definitely try the dealer/FCA for help seeing it was already replaced under warranty and you just went over 100k. WTF they're using the same weak parts, you'd think the part be upgraded bye now, the Jeeps aren't going anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After it's fixed I have decided I will probably run with the fuse un-plugged except in the winter on most days if I keep this thing - when the time comes I will decide. This is based on my experience and Tyler-98-W68's posts on a Cherokee forum.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had my service AWD light come on a few weeks ago, luckily still under powertrain warranty... they replaced a PTU actuator (at least that's what the said) and all was well for a couple weeks... driving home to grab lunch today and what do you know, service AWD is back. Not sure what the deal is, buy luckily my powertrain warranty is good until December of this year (won't hit 100k by then) so this should all be under that warranty... just very frustrating that this car has been pretty much problem-free (other than a few little things) for 71,000+ miles and now, all of a sudden, I'm running into these issues!

Hopefully you have good luck getting your issue taken care of... not sure how many miles you have on your 200, but worth checking to see if your powertrain is still covered.

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Had my service AWD light come on a few weeks ago, luckily still under powertrain warranty... they replaced a PTU actuator (at least that's what the said) and all was well for a couple weeks... driving home to grab lunch today and what do you know, service AWD is back. Not sure what the deal is, buy luckily my powertrain warranty is good until December of this year (won't hit 100k by then) so this should all be under that warranty... just very frustrating that this car has been pretty much problem-free (other than a few little things) for 71,000+ miles and now, all of a sudden, I'm running into these issues!

Hopefully you have good luck getting your issue taken care of... not sure how many miles you have on your 200, but worth checking to see if your powertrain is still covered.

102K miles.

I am learning the PTU on the Cherokee this one not the Jeep Grand Cherokee
and 200 is a POS (same part number), through experience and reading.

If I had it to do over again, I would have purchased the FWD or bought another vehicle altogether, I might should have kept my 13' 200S V6.

If I were a wagering individual I would put $$ that your replacement PTU went out and that they will need to replace it again.

After I fix mine, I am going to drive it with the fuse pulled most of the time and only plug it back in when I know I am going to have to drive it in severely bad weather.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's what scares the **** out of me... I'm sitting on the cusp of losing that warranty coverage and the fact that they already "replaced" things once really worries me. I'll have to talk to the dealer tomorrow morning about what kind of guarantee their work has... if this keeps happening and I get beyond the 5 years/100k then we're going to have some issues.

I was really hoping to get another 3'ish years out of this car, so fingers crossed at this point, I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry didn't mean to worry you but I would get an extended warranty now if you can - if you don't want to pay to have someone do it (or if you can replace it yourself) after the factory warranty is up.

I am going to replace it myself if I can't get a goodwill repair from the dealer I bought 3 Chrysler 200's from. The part itself used is ~$250-300 + fluid + my time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Since i have a AWD myself, what are the early symptoms of a PTU failure ?
i read a couple of thread here and on the Cherooke forums but couldn't find the answer.

All i know so far is :

- Service AWD - MIL
- heavy clunk noise and no power after that

I even read that a grinding noise when turning the wheels and accelerating.

Other than that ?

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i read a couple of thread here and on the Cherooke forums but couldn't find the answer.

All i know so far is :

- Service AWD - MIL

Other than that ?
Just cause mine failed - 3 times - most people will probably not have an issue but... you never know.

That said - symptoms for me were, front wheels start to lose traction gradually and randomly on slippery surfaces. Rear wheels just start to not engage and it acts like a FWD car, and then eventually the light comes on intermittently, and if not taken in and fixed the light will stay on, noises start a little while after that.

·
Registered
96 Posts

All i know so far is :

- Service AWD - MIL

Other than that ?
Not sure if ANY of this is related... but very early in the car's life they found some leaks in the rear transaxle, replaced some seals and all was supposedly well... went through a couple REALLY cold winters and noticed on cold starts were was a serious "whine" coming from the rear end, high pitched grinding, amplified at lower speeds, eventually went away as the car warmed up.

Then this summer, maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago, driving normally, in D, regular old to and from work stuff... Service AWD light comes on, EVIC tells me AWD Unavailable and Requires Service... took it in, all under power train warranty, mind you... you replaced the PTU actuator... car was fine for 3 weeks... then boom, same thing, normal every day driving and it's back on.

I've never driven this car hard (honestly it's RARELY seen anything over 80, let alone the right side of the tach) and almost never drive in Sport mode. Not sure if any of those previous issues are related, but just figured I'd throw them out there.

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've never driven this car hard (honestly it's RARELY seen anything over 80, let alone the right side of the tach) and almost never drive in Sport mode. Not sure if any of those previous issues are related, but just figured I'd throw them out there.
That's what I have read on the Cherokee forum as well as far as failures and driving habits. PTU, driveshaft and rear axle.

Yes I am an enthusiast and yes I have enjoyed my ~300HP I paid for on occasion, but most of the time I don't drive it hard - I drive lots of highway miles with the cruise control on, I have a long commute.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, PTU is ok now... but the dang car almost stalled leaving work this afternoon, so obviously still something wrong. Voltage was dropping down to like 12 while sitting there at a stoplight maybe 50' outside our parking lot. Revs were dropping and it felt like it wasn't getting fuel or something... was doing this before the PTU went bad but not quite as drastic or dramatic. Dropping it off tomorrow morning so we'll see what the story is now. Feel like this car has been at the dealer more often than I've driven it this month.

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Well, PTU is ok now... but the dang car almost stalled leaving work this afternoon, so obviously still something wrong. Voltage was dropping down to like 12 while sitting there at a stoplight maybe 50' outside our parking lot. Revs were dropping and it felt like it wasn't getting fuel or something... was doing this before the PTU went bad but not quite as drastic or dramatic. Dropping it off tomorrow morning so we'll see what the story is now. Feel like this car has been at the dealer more often than I've driven it this month.
Time to replace the battery !

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Battery is totally fine, they're saying it was a bad rocker in the engine. Which makes me think something more serious might be going on... we'll see when I pick it up in a hour or so.
Maybe the voltage dropped because the engine RPM's dropped ?
I have yet to hear of a rocker issue, but the Jeep forums do talk about it.
Let us know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So this is what the tech wrote on the work order...

"Check for codes - 03030 - removed plenum and swapped coils, tested again still had misfire. Swapped plugs - same misfire. Removed valve cover gasket and found bearing in rocker was bad. Replaced cylinder and lifters on cylinder #3. Reinstalled valve cover and plenum, ran tests again - no misfire."

Car seems fine today, but I'm giving this a few weeks before I call it fixed. Very odd such a specific thing would happen on a car that's been babied for it's entire life. Recently went on a trip to Branson, MO (about a 900 mile roundtrip from home) and that's the longest that car has ever been driving continuously, so maybe that had something to do with it? Never had a single issue with the engine in this car from day 1 - regular oil changes every 3500-4000 miles, never abused, never even seen anywhere close to stress... but maybe that's the problem - car finally gets some extended use and something that was bad from the get-go finally bites the dust.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts