Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's what I have read on the Cherokee forum as well as far as failures and driving habits. PTU, driveshaft and rear axle.

Yes I am an enthusiast and yes I have enjoyed my ~300HP I paid for on occasion, but most of the time I don't drive it hard - I drive lots of highway miles with the cruise control on, I have a long commute.
Maybe that's the secret, you have to drive it hard in order to have a problem free PTU lol

in my case, i like to drive it hard, but in winter time it's almost every snowfall :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
If memory serves, there has been one previous 200 UF rocker arm repair mentioned here.

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Update, since the symptoms started @ 99K miles... they are going to fix it under warranty. Per my instinctive loyalty, I have to buy another vehicle from them...

but until then, after it's fixed I will be running it without the PTU fuse until it's winter and it's very cold and very slick out etc...

·
Registered
803 Posts
That's what I like to hear. FCA doing the right thing by you. Have you been told what the repair would cost if not under warranty?

I understand your thinking, of not wanting to risk another failure after three(?) already. However, we don't know for sure just how unlucky you've been. Yes, there are a significant number of failures reported online, but what is the overall failure rate? Is your expertise near the median or are you an outlier?

In my case, I have no plans to ever run it with AWD disabled, since that is an important feature to me, without which I would never have bought the vehicle. I am curious though how much "extra" I might end up paying for the feature. Whatever it is, I suspect it will still be less than I would have paid for any other comparable AWD sedan at the time. Or at least I hope so. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's what I like to hear. FCA doing the right thing by you. Have you been told what the repair would cost if not under warranty?

I understand your thinking, of not wanting to risk another failure after three(?) already. However, we don't know for sure just how unlucky you've been. Yes, there are a significant number of failures reported online, but what is the overall failure rate? Is your expertise near the median or are you an outlier?

In my case, I have no plans to ever run it with AWD disabled, since that is an important feature to me, without which I would never have bought the vehicle. I am curious though how much "extra" I might end up paying for the feature. Whatever it is, I suspect it will still be less than I would have paid for any other comparable AWD sedan at the time. Or at least I hope so. :eek:
I will ask and update when I bring it in as to how much it would have cost.

Regarding pulling the fuse after it's fixed, I am just being paranoid and actually I like the fuel economy I am getting with the fuse pulled right now - 27+MPG commuting. The FWD does get better mileage I can only assume. As far as my "expertise" goes - well, I am a long time amateur mechanic that does all major work himself on his vehicles out of warranty since I was teenager (starting in the late 80's with the help of my father) I have done engine swaps and direct replacements, transmission swaps and direct replacements, and other major repairs. Never a complete engine rebuild or a transmission rebuild. As far as knowing if the PTU would fail again? I don't really know, I sure hope not - only actual experience I have had is with this car, and what I have read here that most of y'all that haven't had this part fail, and what I read online about failures for this specific part on the Jeep forums.

It's a good car, it was a good value, stuff happens. I am just glad it's getting repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I meant to type "experience" not "expertise". :mad: Sorry for not being more careful, and causing you to answer an unintended question.:rolleyes:

The point I was trying to make is whether the failure rate you have seen is near "normal" or (as I hope) way worse than the general experience.

Regardless, best of luck to you going forward and thanks for the update!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Update, since the symptoms started @ 99K miles... they are going to fix it under warranty. Per my instinctive loyalty, I have to buy another vehicle from them...

but until then, after it's fixed I will be running it without the PTU fuse until it's winter and it's very cold and very slick out etc...
Thats great news!! And thats a great idea pulling the fuse and just put it in for the winter. Jeep should have a switch too do that since they dont want too fix the part. It def extend the life of the PTU. All you AWD owners should be doing this! IK I would, thanks BK.

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I put back in the fuse and drove it to the dealer.

Sure enough, the blasted serv awd indicator turned off and the noise stopped after I hit a rather large unexpected bump on the highway. :mad: I know right, sounds like I am making it up... *sigh*

I sure hope they don't say nothing is wrong. It is still driving like a FWD car.

UPDATE: (I didn't bump the thread for this)
The Service Advisor found it to be true that the PTU is faulty and is working with Chrysler to approve the replacement - running their tests etc...

Whew...

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My car will be done Monday. The replacement PTU should arrive sometime today. :cool:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Again...thats great news!! hopefully it will last this time.

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have it back. It's fixed free of charge, and I am pretty sure it's a dealer thing but that particular part is now covered for 2 years from today regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My SERV AWD light turned on today at 89000 miles. I have an appointment to bring it in Monday.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
7 Participants
SteveInMA
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing