Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
2014 200 Limited
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing the PUG lower intake, and I noticed better throttle response immediately. I did forget to reinstall the formed Styrofoam piece that was sitting on the front portion of the engine. Does this piece have any significance?

· Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
3,087 Posts
Chrysler wouldn't have spent money on it if they didn't think that it was important. It isolates engine heat from the coils, injectors & intake runners. Especially with high underhood temperatures after shutting down a warm engine. The heat soak after shutoff skyrockets the temperatures.
The heat may not damage anything in the short-term, but may boil the fuel in the rails as the pressure drops. You might experience hot restart issue?
It may also help to dampen noise from injectors & lifters.

· Premium Member
2014 200 Limited
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chrysler wouldn't have spent money on it if they didn't think that it was important. It isolates engine heat from the coils, injectors & intake runners. Especially with high underhood temperatures after shutting down a warm engine. The heat soak after shutoff skyrockets the temperatures.
The heat may not damage anything in the short-term, but may boil the fuel in the rails as the pressure drops. You might experience hot restart issue?
It may also help to dampen noise from injectors & lifters.
That all makes sense.
Thank you.

· Premium Member
2014 200 Limited
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The FOAM is for noise reduction only! Unfortunately, that also means it will trap heat under it. My Camaro had all that on it, and I took it all off. With the foam out, air can get under there, and cool off the inake manifolds, fuel rail, and injectors. Fuel injector coil resistance rises with heat, and effects the performance of the injectors. Taking the foam off, just meant I could hear the injectors, and the high pressure fuel pump at idle, with the radio off.

Leave it out, you're better off, and it will reduce intake air charge temperatures while in motion. Air will be able to get under the lower & upper intake, and over the oil cooler and cool it all down a step. That is good for the intake, and the injectors. The only down side is, you may hear the injectors clicking.
Thanks. I couldn't hear the injectors clicking. I'm satisfied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts