Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put on the 1/4" insulation foam on the front driver and passenger sides, I could feel the vibrations coming through the floor so I did this.
I got it from Amazon, Dynamat 11102, 32x54 is just enough to do the front.

Tip: You'll need a 19x26 piece for the pass side, so cut that first, then use what left for the driver side, razor blade won't cut good, need scissors, and a maker to lay it first, mark it, cut it, then stick it on. Also have to cut around that black piece of plastic towards the center, I don't know what it's for but I goes across to both sides and I couldn't move it, so I cut around it. Can do the foot rest by itself, since it comes off easily, much easier to do it right that way.

Also, the place where it vibrates the most from is the foot rest, so if you don't want to do the whole thing, you can just do the foot rest, you'll feel the difference for sure and it's easy to do.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I only drove 2 miles since then, I'll let you know once I hit the freeway Tuesday. Feels more plush, that's for sure, and it's nice quality foam so I'm sure it's gonna help, it's 1/4".

Anything there where it's all metal is better than nothing, stock cushioning is fibery and doesn't seem to insulate well, feels like it's full of air, not thick like foam.

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Sounds like a good project. I know they use dynamat for vehicle restorations, so it's a quality product.
Good luck with the results !

·
Registered
137 Posts
I only drove 2 miles since then, I'll let you know once I hit the freeway Tuesday. Feels more plush, that's for sure, and it's nice quality foam so I'm sure it's gonna help, it's 1/4".

Anything there where it's all metal is better than nothing, stock cushioning is fibery and doesn't seem to insulate well, feels like it's full of air, not thick like foam.
Is it hard to remove the carpet though ?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it hard to remove the carpet though ?
No, it's not glued on or anything, just remove the side plastic parts where the door closes, then pull the carpet back.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drove around today, 7-8 miles, city, definitely helps with making it more quiet when hitting road imperfections, feels like I have new, soft tires.

One thing I had to fix was the foot rest was loose because it was not all the way in, so I had to cut around the foot rest on the floor pan where there was dynamat, so that I could push the foot rest all the way in. Tip: before removing the foot rest, mark around it with a marker so that when you put the mat on it will leave space for the foot rest to be pushed all the way in.

Will report back tomorrow after driving 20 miles on the freeway, should be nice and quiet too.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great news, drove around a lot today, including freeway, and it made a BIG difference when it comes to reducing sound and vibration, I strongly suggest you guy with the S model do this mod.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing I just realized, the black plastic thing in the middle must be the vent ducts that go the the rear, that's why they're on both sides.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would it make a difference if i put some in the trunk lid ? Or even at the bottom...
Not really, we're driving 4dr sedans, not hatchbacks, sound is muffled by the back seat.
Where it matters is where you sit, so the front like I did helps a lot, and perhaps under the carpet in the back seats and under the rear bench seat if you wanna go all the way, but for me the front is good enough.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Not really, we're driving 4dr sedans, not hatchbacks, sound is muffled by the back seat.
Where it matters is where you sit, so the front like I did helps a lot, and perhaps under the carpet in the back seats and under the rear bench seat if you wanna go all the way, but for me the front is good enough.
My observation with AWD is that significantly more road noise is transmitted from the rear suspension. So while you may very well be correct with FWD cars, I suspect with AWD there might also be signficant benefit from noise dampening the rear and trunk floor.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My observation with AWD is that significantly more road noise is transmitted from the rear suspension. So while you may very well be correct with FWD cars, I suspect with AWD there might also be signficant benefit from noise dampening the rear and trunk floor.
So do everything then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts