Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday on the way home from work - a few blocks from home, I saw a little intermittent steam coming from the hood - not much at all, in fact I thought maybe I hit a puddle just right and it was burning off from that, but I smelled coolant, this time a strong smell. Long story short, my car peed red coolant all over my garage floor after I pulled in, mostly at the middle and back of the car cause of the belly pan. The radiator is leaking and I have verified it's not a hose or the t-stat housing - just in time for one of the worst snow storms in Denver in possibly a decade or more (yesterday).

I did a search on here and couldn't find anyone that has replaced their radiator themselves. Pitter98 had a radiator leak replaced under warranty around 8K miles, and there were a few threads with people that had leaks and/or coolant smell and/or low coolant that didn't report back as to what the issue was. Looking at the radiator, it's plastic and aluminum - like I am sure almost all radiators in newer cars are - still a crappy design if you ask me no matter if "everyone" does it or not. I haven't hit anything to cause damage to the radiator either.

I am at 93K miles, powertrain warranty I don't think will cover the repair. I'll post back once I fix it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh man...that sucks. Hopefully you got a back up 4x4. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man...that sucks. Hopefully you got a back up 4x4. Good luck
Thanks. I used my son's 2000 Dodge Neon yesterday morning right when the storm started (he doesn't have his license yet) that I put new brakes and tires on recently. The office was closed yesterday anyway. Drove his Neon to work today.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Dude...I read this and just cringed....I have even more miles and don't want such a thing occurring to me yet. This is not a cheap replacement, not so much for the part, but due to the labor.

Hoping it's just a bad lower hose rather than the radiator. Seems to me that Chrysler has not put the highest quality hoses in these cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That sucks to hear. You've been having terrible luck with your 200 lately.

And yeah, I had mine replaced under warranty, so can't say exactly where it was leaking or what the cause was, but I know it was a few hours worth of work for them to replace it. There is a lot of stuff to get out of the way to get it out. Good luck with it though and feel free to give us a how-to if you want just in case somebody else has to do it. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 2016 200s that took a hit to the front... The radiator is not terribly hard to replace... The condenser, fan assembly, and the transmission cooler are attached to it... Two bolts at the top and remove the two radiator hoses... the passenger lower hose is held in place with a wire clip that you remove and then just pull off... The top hose uses a standard squeeze clamp...

My 2016 has a separate oil cooler attached to the top of the front of the radiator... The 2015 may have an internal cooler... My non-OEM radiator came with an internal cooler that I just left plugged...

Check out ebay for the best prices delivered to your door in under 4 days!...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2015-2017-Chrysler-200-Radiator-54299DH-2016/392128027429?fits=Year:2016|Model:200|Make:Chrysler&epid=25024005296&hash=item5b4ca6db25:g:-S0AAOSwnFpbpHya

The job requires removing the upper covers and the plastic front radiator support (plastic clips and 10mm bolts)... A very much doable project...
Daves200s

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 2016 200s that took a hit to the front... The radiator is not terribly hard to replace... The condenser, fan assembly, and the transmission cooler are attached to it... Two bolts at the top and remove the two radiator hoses... the passenger lower hose is held in place with a wire clip that you remove and then just pull off... The top hose uses a standard squeeze clamp...

My 2016 has a separate oil cooler attached to the top of the front of the radiator... The 2015 may have an internal cooler... My non-OEM radiator came with an internal cooler that I just left plugged...

Check out ebay for the best prices delivered to your door in under 4 days!...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2015-2017-Chrysler-200-Radiator-54299DH-2016/392128027429?fits=Year:2016|Model:200|Make:Chrysler&epid=25024005296&hash=item5b4ca6db25:g:-S0AAOSwnFpbpHya

The job requires removing the upper covers and the plastic front radiator support (plastic clips and 10mm bolts)... A very much doable project...
Daves200s
Thanks for posting some of the details of the job and the link.

I was hoping I didn't have to remove the entire front clip or remove the radiator from the bottom like what's required on an LX platform (300/Charger). *whew* Starting on it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yep... It comes out the top... Removing fan assembly gains access to lower passenger hose...
Remove tranny cooler Mounted to AC condenser and move it out of the way after removing line supports...
Unbolt condenser (4x 10mm bolts), and move away from radiator... unbolt radiator and slide back over condenser lines (top passenger side)...
I have had mine off and on a few times while measuring rails and radiator mounting bracket...
There are two radiator drain pitcocks...lower to drain the radiator... and upper to allow bleeding air out of the system...
Daves200s

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I didn't have much time yesterday.

Taking a break from working on it now, I am not seeing any way to remove the cowl (under the "decorative" cover with the plastic body fasteners), without having to remove the bumper cover first. I really am not looking forward to removing it. I was contemplating putting it back together and having it towed to a dealer and paying to have it fixed - but I am too stubborn/cheap.

I hoped the leak was from the upper radiator hose. I can see it was removed and re-installed at least once - it's a little crooked and I can see an indentation on the hose from where the clamp was before - but the leak is near the bottom on the left (drivers) side on the bottom of the same side as the upper hose.

I will post back once I get further along - I am motivated to get it done sooner than later. My son's Neon is in great shape, even cosmetically - actually better shape than my 200 at the moment, but 4cyl + 3speed automatic...

I did find this on YouTube:

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will posts pics and add to this post later, maybe tomorrow, but the bumper cover is off, headlight assemblies needed to be nearly completely removed, they have to be moved out of the way in order to remove the support - what looks like a cowl/cover to gain access to the radiator, condenser and transmission fluid cooler.

I can see why (almost) that a dealer would charge so many labor hours to even replace the upper hose properly. Lots of fasteners and connectors to remove and if you are not careful, things can break or you could end you removing things you didn't have to etc... Then there's putting it all back together, and I am only 2/3 the way taking it apart.

These parts were removed before for warranty work that required it, I know because there are more than a few fasteners missing.

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here's the reason for having to remove the front bumper to gain access to the radiator. From the top it just looks like a cover. It actually wasn't that hard to take off, just annoying and a little time consuming.

If you want to replace the upper radiator hose, you would have to remove this, unless you wanted to cut a hole in it and maybe weaken the structural rigidity - but I would advise against that. If it's too much of a pain to do it correctly, take it in and have it done correctly, just my 2 cents. I'd rather take an extra 30 minutes rather than needlessly hack up my car.

booger1.jpg booger2.jpg

·
Registered
316 Posts
You the Man!

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Waiting on parts to arrive, should be here today or tomorrow - odds are it won't be done till Saturday or Sunday

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Still working on it.

There are so many parts off the vehicle right now, it looks like I am trying to fix it up because it's been in a collision rather than just a simple upper and lower radiator hose and radiator replacement. I will have more pics when it's done.

Radiator is out, it's the radiator itself that's the problem. Hoses are fine but are being replaced anyway since it's at 93K miles. No physical damage that I can see (like a rock hit or something). So it's either defective and just decided to leak now, or maybe one of the "potholes" (or "craters" in the city and county of Denver) I hit cracked something on the inside - if that's possible.

Could hav been worse, it could have decided to leak farther from home or worse yet overheat (it never got past normal operating temp).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow...can't believe how service un-friendly this car is. Good thing you have some auto skills, and thanks for a great, helpful thread. I'm staying tuned...

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll post some pics if I get to it tonight, the new radiator arrived today.

I waited until after I pulled the old one out to order a new one, just to be 100% sure the leak was from the radiator not the hoses.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Black Knight...
As you know I have replaced the parts you are dealing with (salvage car)... I just took it out for a reasonably long trip (70miles)... and while driving it I was exploring the screen menus and came upon the "coolant temp" screen... As I was driving the car I saw the temp rise a few times to above 230F but the graphical screen only showed midway and not hot... What have found as the "norm" for these engines? (4cyl)... Being electronically controlled for cooling it kinda unnerved me as I'm used to 190F in all the other cars I have... Do they really run this hot?...
I forgot that the front radiator frame needed to come out and if you didn't know about the 4 bottom bolts they could throw you... Still not that hard to get to after dropping the undercarriage shields...
My windshield and AC cooling lines are going in this Friday...Getting closer to making it a "legal" car...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Black Knight...
As you know I have replaced the parts you are dealing with (salvage car)... I just took it out for a reasonably long trip (70miles)... and while driving it I was exploring the screen menus and came upon the "coolant temp" screen... As I was driving the car I saw the temp rise a few times to above 230F but the graphical screen only showed midway and not hot... What have found as the "norm" for these engines? (4cyl)... Being electronically controlled for cooling it kinda unnerved me as I'm used to 190F in all the other cars I have... Do they really run this hot?...
I forgot that the front radiator frame needed to come out and if you didn't know about the 4 bottom bolts they could throw you... Still not that hard to get to after dropping the undercarriage shields...
My windshield and AC cooling lines are going in this Friday...Getting closer to making it a "legal" car...
Dave
Normal - these newer cars run pretty hot for emissions and fuel economy.

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's done. New radiator is in, all is good and tested, no leaks, no air in the system. I saved a bunch by doing it myself but it's not an "easy" repair, or at least it wasn't for me.

I have never seen so much plastic and plastic fasteners on a car, then again, the last radiator I replaced was on a... can't really recall - probably an 80's vehicle of some kind.

I will post the pictures at some point, I am still cleaning and re-arranging my garage.

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most notable - the part number on the coolant reservoir and the part number in the manual (MS-90032) for coolant DO NOT match. There appears to be no such animal as MS-90032. I requested that, and no where on the bottle of coolant did "MS-90032 appear" only "MS-12106", also when you look for it online - if there's a picture of the back of the bottle it's "MS-12106" like what's stamped on the reservoir. That whole situation bugged me the most having to figure out what to pour in.

MS-12106.jpg

I should have but didn't replace my serpentine belt while i was there - but here it is buried down on the front right side next to the lower radiator hose assembly. Yes I had to remove the airbox, resonator and shield to get to it (and lower radiator hose) - also very cramped.

Teardown.jpg Serpentine.jpg

Here was another thing that looked simple but was a pain to un-plug - if I had more room in my garage, I would have left it attached and just moved the bumper cover aside, it just took more force than I was comfortable because I don't like to force things for fear of breakage:

Connector.jpg

I have more pictures - but didn't take enough because it took me a while to figure out how to re-install some of the plastic panels etc...

Let me know what you want to see and I will post it if I took a pic of it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts