Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm having issues with upgrading my radio. I have the 5 inch radio and i wanted to put the 8.4 in my 2015 Chrysler 200. my understanding is it should work just fine getting one from another vehicle and that's what I did. I got one from a 2017 jeep grand cherokee. I plugged it in back up camera works climate controls work and the anti theft code needed popped up and I thought no problem I have the code but I typed it in and it said it was wrong. so I called the dealership told them the S/N number and VIN to the jeep. They confirmed I had the right code but still wasn't working. any suggestions on what to try? is the 2017 to new for my car?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What message are you getting, 'Invalid ID'? Is the odometer mileage blinking?
If the BCM is still looking for the old radio serial number, it may need a PROXI run to learn that the new radio is there.

Font Screenshot Number Document Parallel

Line Font Parallel Circle Screenshot

Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Magenta

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. What message are you getting, 'Invalid ID'? Is the odometer mileage blinking?
If the BCM is still looking for the old radio serial number, it may need a PROXI run to learn that the new radio is there.

View attachment 59839

View attachment 59840

View attachment 59841
Yes the odometer is flashing and I believe the exact words are "incorrect code try again" but I'll have to see after I get off work

·
Administrator
2,411 Posts
A blinking odometer means that the BCM sees an alien VIN on the communications (CAN) bus.
The BCM is the master module in the hierarchy.
It may be looking for your old radio's security code and doesn't recognize the new one?
You will probably need to find a scan tool that can do a PROXI alignment/configuration.
Any module change may require a PROXI.
Rectangle Font Magenta Circle Art

Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Parallel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the odometer is flashing and I believe the exact words are "incorrect code try again" but I'll have to see after I get off work
A blinking odometer means that the BCM sees an alien VIN on the communications (CAN) bus.
The BCM is the master module in the hierarchy.
It may be looking for your old radio's security code and doesn't recognize the new one?
You will probably need to find a scan tool that can do a PROXI alignment/configuration.
Any module change may require a PROXI.
View attachment 59846

View attachment 59847
Should I look up the security code for my old radio and try that one then if that doesn't work then do the PROXI?

·
Administrator
2,411 Posts
I have never tried that. I think that the 'seed' for the security code is in the new radio. It might kick out the security code used on the old radio.
I think that if it were possible to 'fool' the BCM to operate this radio, it wouldn't be much of an anti-theft protection.
The BCM isn't receiving the correct response for the radio serial Number it has in memory.
The PROXI will solve that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never tried that. I think that the 'seed' for the security code is in the new radio. It might kick out the security code used on the old radio.
I think that if it were possible to 'fool' the BCM to operate this radio, it wouldn't be much of an anti-theft protection.
The BCM isn't receiving the correct response for the radio serial Number it has in memory.
Okay thank you for the help I'll look into getting a PROXI done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One last question. I've seen on the forums someone bought a alfaobd tool off Amazon would you happen to know the correct one to get?

·
Registered
249 Posts
There is only one version of the alphaobd software tool. The software costs about $50 and you will need an obd link (plugs into the obd port) for about $50. The tool can access and pull dtc's from all of the computer modules so it is also useful when diagnosing problems.

You can go directly to 'alphaobd.com' to purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is only one version of the alphaobd software tool. The software costs about $50 and you will need an obd link (plugs into the obd port) for about $50. The tool can access and pull dtc's from all of the computer modules so it is also useful when diagnosing problems.

You can go directly to 'alphaobd.com' to purchase.
There isn't a specific obd link device that I need to get?

·
Registered
249 Posts
The website will list the preferred (aka known to work) obd links. I use obdlink sx which is a usb cable version I use with the windows app. They have a bluetooth version obdlink for the android app.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you're still looking for recommendations I have an OBDLink MX+. It's a Bluetooth device and it works well with ALFAOBD. It also works with the OBDLink smartphone app (no extra charge if you buy the MX+) which can't do the customization or proxi align but it can read the extended set of codes (there's an extra install it prompts you to do after it connects to your car the first time), so it's nice if you have your phone and just want to do a quick check if something is acting up without going into AlfaOBD.

Reactions: N3ls0n7

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey so I got an obd link LX and I bought the alfaobd app. I ran the proxi alignment but I keep getting this message. I don't have a blue adapter. What does this mean.
You'll either have the get a blue adapter or get an MX+ (Bluetooth) or EX (USB). The LX can't access the middle speed CAN bus without the adapter. From the AlfaOBD page:

"The OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth or OBDLink EX USB are the recommended interfaces for the cars with high-speed CAN bus on pins 6 and 14 and the middle-speed CAN bus on the pins 3 and 11 of the car OBD socket. These are most of the PowerNet and CUSW-based Chrysler/Dodge/Ram(with the exception of RAM Pro Master before 2022 and RAM Pro Master City)/Jeep vehicles starting from about 2012, and Fiat Tipo/Egea. No additional adapters are needed on these cars when using OBDLink EX or MX+. As the OBDLink interfaces have high communication speed they are especially recommended for the Body computer configuration adjustment and odometer correction on Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep vehicles...The LX/SX/CX interfaces require the "blue" adapter for the access to the middle-speed CAN bus."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts