Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radio stopped working, but other audio works like CDs and satellite. I bought a new antenna that screws on at the outside top. Still not working. So now how do I take the headliner down to get to the mechanism that the antenna is screwed to.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
347 Posts
Do you have a stereo or 'ST' indicator showing on the display when tuned to a local FM station, but no sound? Do you have a background hiss or static from the speakers when in radio mode?
The radio (tuner) may be in 'mute' if everything else works. I don't know which radio you have. A Chrysler TSB 08-024-14 addresses a mute condition on RHW/RHP radios (see Symptom/Condition list):

·
Registered
532 Posts
Radio stopped working, but other audio works like CDs and satellite. I bought a new antenna that screws on at the outside top. Still not working. So now how do I take the headliner down to get to the mechanism that the antenna is screwed to.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
ChryslerCares

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2012 200. I've done everything you have and it still won't work. Have you been able to find out what yours is?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. My 2012 200 radios sound just went out one day, but still displays. I put it in my other car and still no luck. The amp fuse isn't blown so it might be something in the radio itself. pls post if you know how to fix it. If I find out I will.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have a stereo or 'ST' indicator showing on the display when tuned to a local FM station, but no sound? Do you have a background hiss or static from the speakers when in radio mode?
The radio (tuner) may be in 'mute' if everything else works. I don't know which radio you have. A Chrysler TSB 08-024-14 addresses a mute condition on RHW/RHP radios (see Symptom/Condition list):
I don't know what kind of radio I have. It's not the one with the display screen. There's no hiss just static. It hadn't played for months then the other day it came back on but a very poor signal. I have traced the antenna and it's not unhooked. How do I find out what type radio I have and how would I get an update disk.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
In the lower, passenger-side corner of the radio, are there 3 white letters beginning with an 'R'?
A failing antenna may still pick up local FM stations, but no AM stations.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
You could try a 'substitute' antenna plugged into the back of the radio. The center pin is the station signal in . See the port near the blue mark in the image below.

A plugged-in 3' (1m) piece of wire touching the center terminal and held up near a window or the windshield should pick up stations, if the car antenna or cable to the antenna is bad.

If the problem is inside the radio, the RES is common and a basic corporate-use radio. There are a lot around. It would likely be cheaper to find a good used one than try to get your old one fixed.
There are no updates for the RES.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I can be reached through PM. Click the avatar and Start Conversation if you like.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You may also have a problem with the AM/FM section of the radio and all else may be OK...
A hiss may be from the radio not having a local oscillator (radio section problem)...
The OEM radio for a 2012/2013 200 would be very cheap at a local "pull-a-part" salvage yard and I don't believe it has to be "married" to the car (just plug and play)...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts