Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone i've been searching everywhere and cant seem to find it. I know i'm not the only one with this problem because i hear it with other 2.4L engines in 200's and even the renegades. Hypothetically lets say i roll through a stop sign lol and the transmission stays in 3rd and i give it gas to leave the stop sign theres a short lived rattling noise from the engine. almost sounds like the valves are slapping or something. it will also happen at a complete stop if i hit the gas to hard it will happen as well. Any ideas? im assuming its normal because ive heard it in multiple other 200's but i would like to know what it is so i can plan on a possible repair..

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
123 Posts
If it's a 2015 200 then the transmission software may have to be upgraded... The 2015 had lots of tranny software problems and SHOULD downshift to 1st gear at a total stop... Yours is like a manual trying to start in third gear..lots of shaking and no torque... I have a 2016 200s with the 2.4L and it never starts in 3rd... In fact I have the shift paddles (S-model) and it WON'T allow a higher gear to be manually set from a stop... FCA did a lot of software upgrades in 2015 and had a few mechanical transmission failures also...
Dave

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
637 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Assuming this is a 2015 2.4L, there are some TSBs.
If the dealer updates the TCM, have them perform a Quicklearn and PROXI reset after the flash:

There are more updates depending on optional equipment. Ask to have all the updates done at the same visit, so you only have to pay once.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's a 2015 200 then the transmission software may have to be upgraded... The 2015 had lots of tranny software problems and SHOULD downshift to 1st gear at a total stop... Yours is like a manual trying to start in third gear..lots of shaking and no torque... I have a 2016 200s with the 2.4L and it never starts in 3rd... In fact I have the shift paddles (S-model) and it WON'T allow a higher gear to be manually set from a stop... FCA did a lot of software upgrades in 2015 and had a few mechanical transmission failures also...
Dave

yeah this is exactly what happens, i have the c model.... i almost enjoy driving in "L" when im on lower mph roads lol thank you for the information! Are they going to charge me an hour for labor or are updates kind of a recall sort of thing. Thanks in advance!

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
637 Posts
PCM software updates are under the 8/80 extended federal emissions warranty. TCM maybe, due to an X84 warranty extension that doesn't cover everything. Body-type modules are covered under the basic warranty.

They aren't 'recalls' as driveability and shift quality isn't necessarily considered a safety or emissions thing. Not all cars will exhibit the symptoms described on the TSBs. They are to be used as guidance for the technicians when making service decisions.

A 1 hour labor charge is about the shop standard for minimum or diagnostic charges. Policies and pricing vary among dealerships.

Software updates are a clean, unobtrusive service. Nothing has to be disassmbled or replaced. The tool is plugged into the car and the necessary flash is installed. The Quicklearn is the only service that would require a drive.
Get them all done at once to save time and money. The updates has made a marked improvement in my ownership experience.

At 115K miles, you would have to ask about possible TCM flash coverage, quicklearn and PROXI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts