Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies for what is going to be a lengthy post – I just cannot figure this out and want to provide as much detail as possible. I am not a mechanic, but I’m no stranger to auto maintenance – I’ve probably done this exact same thing at least 50 times over the years.

Over the weekend, I put all new pads and rotors on my wife’s new-to-us 2013 200 Convertible Touring. After wrapping up, I went to take it for a test run and after approx. 500 feet (50’ of that in reverse), the driver side outside rear pad fell out into my driveway. There was no obvious damage to the pad or caliper, so I put the old pad in and went for a ride. I made it less than a mile (including another 50’ in reverse) and the passenger side outside rear pad (also a new one) fell off. This time, one of the 2 spring clips that secure it to the caliper was snapped off. I then took everything back off and re-installed the old outside pads on both rear wheels. I took it for a rather spirited ride of about 5 miles with lots of braking. I checked the pads at a few spots along the way and everything seemed to be staying in place. When I got home, I decided to back down my half-mile driveway – it is quite steep, so I was on the brakes quite a bit. When I got back, the driver side pad was fine, but the passenger side had slid about .5-.75” down. It is still in the caliper, but the top clip is no longer making contact and the lower clip is pushed all the way down (the counter-clockwise rotation of the wheel in reverse would account for this). I have attached photos - they are not the best since the they were taken with the wheel still mounted, but it should give you an idea.

I am stumped. The new rotors are exactly the same diameter as the originals. The new pads are exactly the same size as the originals – the edges on the new ones are chamfered, while the originals are more blocky, but both failed. The inside pads fit nicely in the bracket, and I replaced the shims/clips in the bracket with the new ones provided (which were also an exact match for the originals). Everything was/is tightened sufficiently. The only thing that was out of the ordinary to me was the removal of the calipers – the top caliper slide bolt is obstructed by the rubber hose, so I had to remove the bottom slide bolt completely, pivot the caliper 90 degrees on the top bolt, and slide the caliper assembly out of the rear bracket. I have never seen as setup like this.

I would appreciate any feedback on what is going on here. Obviously, it is something I am doing wrong since there were no problems in the 1000 or so miles we put on the car before I changed the brakes.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I know with the newer series 200 there is a service brake mode that is activated when replacing the brakes. I don't know about the first gen 200. If you did activate it did you return it to drive mode. Just a thought. You also compared the new pads to the old ones?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know anything about a service mode.

The new and original pads are the same size/style.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
576 Posts
What brands and part numbers are the new pads and rotors? Should be on the box and the receipt. Do they match?
My first thought is that those would appear to be the wrong pads. They may be missing a locating nub to hold them to the caliper?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rotors are Carquest, Part No. YH245331P

Pads are Carquest, Part No. GNAD868

#s on receipt and box match.

The original and new pads are identical, besides the chamfering on the face of the new ones. The photos posted are of one of the original pads which I put back in - both the new and original pads came out, which leads me to believe that this is something I'm doing wrong as opposed to an issue with incorrect parts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Maybe a bad caliper? Not compressing all the way?

·
576 Posts
It is just the outboard pads that are falling out? There has to be some other difference between the old and new ones.
I am seeing a rear rotor part # YH145672P (262mm dia), not YH245331P (302mm dia) for a 2013 Chrysler 200 Touring V6.
I am entering the vehicle info in your first post into the Rockauto and Advance Auto websites to look up parts.
This is the V6 engine, correct? They don't differentiate between the sedan or convertible.
The pads for the 262mm rotors is GNAD1037.
See fig. 26 here:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only the outboard pads are coming loose. The car is 4-cylinder. It had the 302mm rotor, and I replaced it with the same size.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It is just the outboard pads that are falling out? There has to be some other difference between the old and new ones.
I am seeing a rear rotor part # YH145672P (262mm dia), not YH245331P (302mm dia) for a 2013 Chrysler 200 Touring V6.
I am entering the vehicle info in your first post into the Rockauto and Advance Auto websites to look up parts.
This is the V6 engine, correct? They don't differentiate between the sedan or convertible.
The pads for the 262mm rotors is GNAD1037.
See fig. 26 here:

Your link appears to be for a 2007 Sebring. The original post is for a 2013 200 Convertible Touring with the 2.4 engine.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Gotta be some wrong parts there

·
576 Posts
2007-2014 Sebring/200/Avenger were all JS body. The brakes in the post # 8 link should look the same.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When you put them back into place are the springs sitting in the recessed part of the caliper? From your pictures they don't look to be seated properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take them back and compare them to another new set, or another parts house for a comparison
The new pads are identical to the originals. And like I said, the originals failed as well after I put them back in,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you put them back into place are the springs sitting in the recessed part of the caliper? From your pictures they don't look to be seated properly.
The springs were in the correct location on the caliper. The photos were to show how they moved.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I looked at this you tube video for the 2013 200 rear brake service and the new pads have very distinctive nubs that clearly snap into place thus holding the pad firmly into the caliper. Check the video out and it might show something different to what you experienced during your own brake service.

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
116 Posts
View attachment 57056 View attachment 57057
[/QUOTE]
If you look at the third picture you will see the metal retaining clips are not in the correct position... The pads are too close to the center of the rotors... The clips should be farther away from the center and resting in a rectangular indentation... If you look at the clips they are also deformed from being pushed down (look at the picture as the top part of the clip is bent correctly and the lower part is smashed upward... You probably re-installed the original pads incorrectly also... Dave

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
116 Posts
Shamrock249
If you read the OP the outside pad was placed to far out and was not seated in the indentations locking it in place...
I'm not trying to be a wise ass so please don't take this post as such... Sometimes posts can be mis-read...
Dave

·
576 Posts
The nubs locate and lock the outer pads in place. The clip holds the nubs firmly in the caliper holes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts