Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 200 S in for service and had asked them to look at the RR wheel bearing as I thought it was getting noisy. The service dept said the bearing is OK but the bushings on the knuckle are worn and that is creating the noise. The bushings are NOT serviceable and the replacement knuckle as a superceded number. Chrysler is telling the dealer that BOTH sides will need to be replaced as the old and new knuckles can't be used.

Has anyone run into a similar circumstance. I have a extended warranty but I don't see the knuckle being covered when I read the details
Any help is appreciated
BTW We now have 161,000 on the clock on this 2015 S

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,227 Posts
Welcome back! This has been discussed here before and I was trying to get the measurements of the old bushings to see if there were 'generic' steel-backed rubber bushings available.
There are a number of standard bushing sizes out there and I'm sure that these are metric.

The automakers shy away from having technicians press bushings in & out of cast aluminum pieces, hence the assembly-only replacement.
I believe with the proper arbors & tooling supporting the knuckle in a press, the old bushing could be pressed out and the new one pressed in. I wanted to investigate this further on an old knuckle first.

See this thread here:
Rear Suspension Surprise!

For more threads, enter 'rear suspension' in the 'Search Community' at the top of the page.
If you go ahead with the knuckle replacement, ask them to save you the old knuckles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello

Thanks for the reply. I can appreciate the pressing issue. I have had some experience pressing things apart in my old days of motorcycle repairs. I have seen parts going flying across the room on more than one occasion! <g>
I am still waiting to see if it is covered by warranty. The knuckles aren't cheap -$400 or so on Internet
I will post the outcome

thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
2,208 Posts
Hello

Thanks for the reply. I can appreciate the pressing issue. I have had some experience pressing things apart in my old days of motorcycle repairs. I have seen parts going flying across the room on more than one occasion! <g>
I am still waiting to see if it is covered by warranty. The knuckles aren't cheap -$400 or so on Internet
I will post the outcome

thanks again!
Let us know which extended service contract you have.
This could be valuable information for the owners now seeing bushing deterioration in other areas.
I looked at my Mopar contract and it does not specifically call out the rear knuckle as a covered item.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the Lifetime Protection plan. I also looked at my contract and it does NOT specifically call out the knuckle. I already let the dealer know those details. He told me that they always need to get work approved if over a certain dollar amount. I honestly don't feel hopeful, but I will let you know what he finds out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts