Chrysler 200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
VIVIDAWDGIRL,

Just a word of advice regarding those screws. Don't leave those unprotected for long. Either some sort of sealant or white lithium. Even matching paint. Those are subject to moisture where they are which will lead to corrosion on them as well as in the holes.

By the way, that spoiler looks awesome. Very nicely done.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Are those screws Stainless Steel?
Nope. Stainless steel has a distinctive color. Those are a "treated" steel or possibly aluminum. Either way they will start corroding and cause the trunk lid to corrode if left as they are.

You may work electronics on Aircraft but for 20 years in the U.S. Air Force I worked aircraft structural repair and corrosion control. Corrosion is something I know very well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I just got the touch-up paint, It was on order for awhile but finally came in.

Weird but it now comes with clear coat as well.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Nope. Stainless steel has a distinctive color. Those are a "treated" steel or possibly aluminum. Either way they will start corroding and cause the trunk lid to corrode if left as they are.

You may work electronics on Aircraft but for 20 years in the U.S. Air Force I worked aircraft structural repair and corrosion control. Corrosion is something I know very well.
I just installed the same spoiler VIVIDAWDGIRL installed and I did replace the original screws with stainless (pics coming soon) but I was wondering if you think I will have any trouble with electrolysis? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Good for you.
Planefixer, I don't think New2Chrysler2015 meant any disrespect. I took it like this is/was his profession and he knows it like you know your profession. In other words,
I don't think he was sayin'. He was just sayin'. Know what I'm sayin'? ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Planefixer, I don't think New2Chrysler2015 meant any disrespect. I took it like this is/was his profession and he knows it like you know your profession. In other words,
I don't think he was sayin'. He was just sayin'. Know what I'm sayin'? ;)
True that, but using that analogy...of years equating to experience.
I'll give my resume..
Aviation.. 40 years, All types of repairs... Airframe Major Repair, Structures, Engine, Avionics, FAA DER, and yes ....CPCP
Only one of a small majority in my New England Regional FSDO that is qualified to work and return to service ... anything that flies..not to mention I can fly them
So does that mean I know twice as much?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
True that, but using that analogy...of years equating to experience.
I'll give my resume..
Aviation.. 40 years, All types of repairs... Airframe Major Repair, Structures, Engine, Avionics, FAA DER, and yes ....CPCP
Only one of a small majority in my New England Regional FSDO that is qualified to work and return to service ... anything that flies..not to mention I can fly them
So does that mean I know twice as much?
Sure sounds like it to me, but I'm not qualified to say! But if you told me it was so, I'd sure believe it!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wow, that price seems awesome for such a good mod. I was looking into the more flush mounted spoiler myself. Did your spoiler just adhere with sticky tape, or was there more involved to install it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Did your spoiler just adhere with sticky tape, or was there more involved to install it?
I think I can answer this for you.

20150817_144846.jpg 20150817_145834.jpg ATT_1439837537552_20150817_145055.jpg

You need to drill 4 holes in your car. I can't see how anybody could do it by themselves, it doesn't lay flat on the trunk for hole measurement. I'm getting it installed tomorrow. I wanted to do it myself, but just can't bring myself to drill holes in my car... LOL! Figured it is worth it to me to have a shop that does this kind of thing all day long get it perfect. Will post pics when done.

·
Registered
333 Posts

I just installed the same spoiler VIVIDAWDGIRL installed and I did replace the original screws with stainless (pics coming soon) but I was wondering if you think I will have any trouble with electrolysis? Thanks!
All I can say is if you want to prevent the chance of corrosion I would seal the screws or bolts and prevent any moisture or air from getting on then or into the hole.

Here is an example of why given to us by Chrysler. Look at your door hinges.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think I can answer this for you.

View attachment 30170 View attachment 30178 View attachment 30186

You need to drill 4 holes in your car. I can't see how anybody could do it by themselves, it doesn't lay flat on the trunk for hole measurement. I'm getting it installed tomorrow. I wanted to do it myself, but just can't bring myself to drill holes in my car... LOL! Figured it is worth it to me to have a shop that does this kind of thing all day long get it perfect. Will post pics when done.
Thanks, that definitely answers the question. For me, I would be more interested in one that was a more simple install. But of course those don't have the same look as the spoiler you guys have.

·
Registered
129 Posts
OK, my spoiler got installed!

Cost: $267 painted and delivered / $49 to install.

It needs cleaned and waxed but still looks good. Only took 45 minutes to install. Doesn't block the middle tail light at all, and can just see the top edge about a half an inch in the rear view mirror. The paint color matches perfectly in sun and shade. I think the car goes a little faster now :rolleyes:

BEFORE AFTER
20150817_145703.jpg 20150818_182945.jpg

Other pics
20150818_182551.jpg 20150818_182610.jpg 20150818_183018.jpg 20150818_182642.jpg

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
OK, my spoiler got installed!

Cost: $267 painted and delivered / $49 to install.

It needs cleaned and waxed but still looks good. Only took 45 minutes to install. Doesn't block the middle tail light at all, and can just see the top edge about a half an inch in the rear view mirror. The paint color matches perfectly in sun and shade. I think the car goes a little faster now :rolleyes:

BEFORE AFTER
View attachment 30226 View attachment 30234

Other pics
View attachment 30242 View attachment 30250 View attachment 30258 View attachment 30266
Sweet! How about a pic or two of the bolts from underneath?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sweet! How about a pic or two of the bolts from underneath?
Wow, glad you asked hadn't looked myself yet. They did a **** good job. All 4 holes are completely sealed. I asked them what they do to prevent corrosion. They said they shoot in a rust inhibitor first and then calk the whole thing. It already comes with a rubber gasket in place.

20150819_000527.jpg 20150819_000502.jpg 20150819_000542.jpg

41 - 60 of 81 Posts