Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd be interested. The kids can finally stop bugging me to plug their crap in up front.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The parts required to buy are below, amazon links.

HOMREE DC DC Converter Buck Module 12V/24V to 5V 3A USB Output Step Down Voltage Regulator Charge for Samsung Galaxy , iPad iPhone 4S 5 6/6 Plus etc (Standard USB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEF293V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TbXCDbVNCTH2B

BATIGE Small USB 2.0 Male to Female Car AUX Mount Flush Panel Extension Cable for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard 3ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYC9NC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OcXCDbNCN6R47

You can use wire taps to tap into the required wires (+12v and ground) or you can just peel back and splice, either way works but tapping is the best way to prevent damage. You will also need a step bit for a drill or else you need a large drill bit to drill the circular hole in the rear cover. Will add another post later to get pictures and add the directions. Just wanted to get the links in there. Total cost should be around $16.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the idea, I've been planning on doing that for a long time. I taped power from the light for the center armrest and all set! thanks for the nudge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For starters, you need to pull off the rear cover (the part you are going to add the usb to). It just pulls off from the top, pull it away from the center console. You will want to either measure the center, or eye ball it. I just eye balled it. I took my drill and used a step bit until i was able to fit the end of the usb in and pull it through and it will fit snug. I recommend taking your time with the drilling. If you drill too far with the bit then it will NOT be snug then you will have to glue it. At this point you can connect the usb male end to the female end of the buck converter. You will need to use the converter because usb is 5v and the car is 12v. Now feed the wire under the passenger side of the center console/armrest area. At the front, locate the 12v power outlet. There is a panel at the passenger kick panel. It just pulls out easily. Only held on by small clips. Once it is gone, you have to remove the power to the 12v outlet. It is a white connector that will pull out easily too just hold in the retainer clip and pull. Now the part you have to be very careful when you splice the wires. If you use t taps then just tap into the wires to connect. I just stripped back enough wire and securely taped with electrical tape. There are 3 wires there in the 12v outlet. 12v, ground, and a wire for the light. The larger pink wire is the 12v, and the black wire is the ground. You connect black to black, red to the larger pink wire. The outlet is key controlled so as long as you dont have the vehicle in run or acc it will not turn on so you will not have to worrk about shorting. If you want to disconnect battery as a precaution then you may. Ensure your connections are secure and then put the panel back in. It just goes back in with the clips. Make sure you start with the front and then push the back of the panel and it will be secured. If not try again. I will post some pictures very soon. If you have any questions let me know. Someone mentioned dual usb. For dual usb, you can just double the parts and do it twice. The charging is decently fast, not quite full fast charging but way faster than typical usb charging. Perform at your own risk of course i am not responsible for mistakes or accidents. Enjoy your upgrade...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Never make a splice by simply wrapping and taping. Always solder or crimp a splice and then use heat-shrink tubing to cover it. Tape eventually lets go, and wrapping wires can allow intermittent connections, which means damaging voltage spikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts