Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some advise after reading so many threads with people that have electrical issues with their 15' 200:

If you have a 2015 Chrysler 200, and it has the original battery in it - replace the battery now or at least put it in the budget to replace it soon, especially if you frequently use it for short trips.

Have the battery load tested if you are unsure of its life and are like me and want to get all your $$ worth out of it and don't want to replace it too soon, sometimes the standard test will not reveal that your battery is weak.

On the 2015 and newer 200, strange sometime seemingly hard to diagnose electrical problems can and most likely will happen before typical symptoms of a weak battery appear as with older vehicles.

Keep in mind this was posted March 15, 2019, so as time goes on, this will be applicable to 16's and 17's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got my battery replaced last week. Stepdad took it to autozone to get the battery tested, after the car dying over 5 times throughout the week. Autozone tested our battery and told us everything was fine with it, but I had previously known that this battery was horrible from factory from reading forums. The technician there told us that we had a bad starter due to the loud clicking sound on startup "50k miles so we didn't think it was the starter". We drew the line once we realized their was smoke coming from the battery itself, we discovered a huge crack along side the battery by the negative connector, that was made from the battery melting. We picked up a battery same day and now everything is working perfectly, and the car hasn't cut out while driving like it used to with the old battery.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just some advise after reading so many threads with people that have electrical issues with their 15' 200:

If you have a 2015 Chrysler 200, and it has the original battery in it - replace the battery now or at least put it in the budget to replace it soon, especially if you frequently use it for short trips.

Have the battery load tested if you are unsure of its life and are like me and want to get all your $$ worth out of it and don't want to replace it too soon, sometimes the standard test will not reveal that your battery is weak.

On the 2015 and newer 200, strange sometime seemingly hard to diagnose electrical problems can and most likely will happen before typical symptoms of a weak battery appear as with older vehicles.

Keep in mind this was posted March 15, 2019, so as time goes on, this will be applicable to 16's and 17's.
Thanks Black Knight! I was gonna thread this today also but you beat me too it! Hopefully there's some answers on the final outcome on some of the electrical probs that have been posted here lately.

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just want to add to this, with some electrical problems, the symptoms might not go away instantly after battery replacement (if a weak battery is the problem) - quote from another thread from fltru103 in relation to an electrical problem:

"After the replacement of the battery, the vehicle takes at least 3 starts for the car to stop the messages ... providing no other issues are present.
The battery must be at a full charge also. Not just pulled from the rack at the auto parts store and installed" -fltru103

·
Registered
371 Posts
image_21950.jpg BATTERY LOAD TESTER. Dont use a volt meter.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Chrysler replaced the battery in my 2015 3.6 about two and a half years ago (warranty). Knowing the history of the original Chrysler batteries I'm guessing mine is due to die again sometime soon. I have pretty well settled on the Canadian Tire AGM Eliminator battery. battery info, SPECS - Group #: L4/94R/H7; CCA: 800; CA: 920; RC: 140. 60 month warranty.
Question, Is there a right or wrong way to install a new battery in the 200? I seem to recall that some people ended up with electrical or computer problems after an install which leads me to believe that there is a certain proper way to do this job. I have replaced numerous batteries in my lifetime but with these new cars and their electronics I think it prudent at ask the question.

·
Super Moderator
1,884 Posts
Question, Is there a right or wrong way to install a new battery in the 200? I seem to recall that some people ended up with electrical or computer problems after an install which leads me to believe that there is a certain proper way to do this job. I have replaced numerous batteries in my lifetime but with these new cars and their electronics I think it prudent at ask the question.
If you installed a battery before, then you know the procedure. I drove to my wife's work place and replaced her battery in the parking lot. You will get some dash lights to flash, but after the third on and off cycle of the vehicle, all indicator / warning lights should go off.
I bought a "Bosch" battery, 96 month warranty, pro-rated. The first 36 months is a full replacement guarantee after which the pro-rated part kicks in. Cost $200.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The proper way is to attach a regulated charger to the cables before removing the cables from the old battery. That way the computer stays powered during the short period of time that it takes to remove the old battery and replace it with a new one. I didn't do this and ended up having the car towed to the dealer to reflash the computer. An expensive lesson learned. The car started with the new battery, but the transmission wouldn't shift out of park and once started, the only way to shut it off was to disconnect a battery cable as the push button on the dash did nothing at all. The dealer said that this didn't happen a lot, but I wasn't the first person that they had seen with this type of problem.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I changed my battery twice, no probs. Did it the old fashion way, in and out. First time was a good used battery I had cause car was dead in driveway. Got a couple years from that one and recently it died. All i did was push start button once for acc and waited a minute for everything too boot up. When starting there is a sec or two delay before it starts. All good after that. It should be that easy....I cant believe your car would have too be towed and re-flashed for a dead battery. But...its happened. Gotta be another reason why that happened too you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In most cases the car can handle not having power for a few minutes. I replaced my battery a few years ago and just did it myself and had no problems afterwards. The SafetyTec systems (lane keep, parksense, etc) were off on the first start but aside form having to use the buttons to turn them back on it started up as normal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In most cases the car can handle not having power for a few minutes. I replaced my battery a few years ago and just did it myself and had no problems afterwards. The SafetyTec systems (lane keep, parksense, etc) were off on the first start but aside form having to use the buttons to turn them back on it started up as normal.
In most cases that is true. I have two Jeep Cherokees and the 200C. The battery in one of the Jeeps (2015) failed while at Hilton Head a year ago. First symptom was the start/stop feature quit working on the way to HH. So when the car wouldn't start one night, I waited a few minutes, tried again and it cranked and started, I immediately took it to the nearest Walmart. There were no dealers open and we were heading home. They replaced the battery and I noticed them placing a charger on the cables before removing the old battery. I questioned them why they did this and the answer was that with some of the newer vehicles, removing the battery with no back up power is like rolling dice. When it happens, the car has to go to the dealer to get reprogrammed. I learned the hard way that the Walmart guy was right. I will try not to make the same mistake again. I had a charger that I could have used on my 200C, but was too lazy to use it. If the battery fails with an open cell, as opposed to a shorted cell, the voltage can go to zero. If this happens while the car is sitting for a period of time, then you have the same scenario.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just replaced the battery in my 2013 Limited 3.6.The car was starting and running well, it was purely preventive maintenance. The car is just over 7 years old and they are predicting a cold winter. After it was installed, I took my wife shopping in a town about 50 Km away to give the battery a top up.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Autozone is crap, I had two batteries die within a month, my car and my wife's car, and according to AutoZone they were good, ended buy AGM batteries from Pepboys.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Autozone is crap, I had two batteries die within a month, my car and my wife's car, and according to AutoZone they were good, ended buy AGM batteries from Pepboys.
Hit or miss, then. Have never had problems with Autozone batteries over the last 30+ years. Most lasted 5-7 years. But this time around I tried Interstate.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Batteries I bought were the good ones, lasted one year, both of them, paid almost $180 for each one, had 3/5 year warranty.
Went to 2 AutoZone stores, both said battery was good, they charged it, the one for my 200, put it back in the car, started fine, tried to go out a few hours later and it was dead again, and since they didn't give a crap about what I said and they wouldn't honor the free 3 year replacement warranty, I went to Pepboys and bought an AGM battery.
2 weeks later, same story with my wife's car, same $180 battery, so I didn't even bother with AutoZone, went straight to Pepboys and bought an AGM battery, done with AutoZone.

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hit or miss, then. Have never had problems with Autozone batteries over the last 30+ years. Most lasted 5-7 years. But this time around I tried Interstate.
Nor have I. I don't think it's "Autozone" that makes the batteries anyway, it's a supplier - not sure who. They probably had a bad batch or some that sat on the shelf too long etc...

I had a problem with a WalMart battery in my son's Neon. Went through 3 in 6 months. It wasn't another issue, it was the battery and they honored the warranty every time. The last battery from them has been in there for 3 years now.

·
Super Moderator
1,884 Posts
No automotive supplier company makes their own batteries. I believe there is only 3, possibly 4 manufacturers of auto batteries, in the US.
It's the age and length of time the battery sat on the shelf before it was used.
That and the fact most people do not bring a new battery to a full charge that helps give them a premature death.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Of course AutoZone don't make the batteries, but they didn't give a crap about honoring the warranty, $180 in the trash x2.
Perhaps I should just buy batteries from the dealership from now on, they seem to last longer than the ones from auto stores.

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your Autozone's in Vegas sound like the opposite of how they are near me. I have been given replacement parts on honor - ex. bad coil - long story short I forgot what coil I replaced and swapped around. The manager didn't care and gave me a replacement anyway. He probably could have looked closely at what was stamped on the coil but didn't seem to care and was more concerned with taking care of the customer. I wrote them several nice reviews.

·
Registered
818 Posts
One issue might be the heat in Las Vegas, definitely hard on batteries. But still, Autozone should honor their warranty. Maybe there are a lot more failures there due the hot weather, but that's no excuse.

Plenty of experience here with poor OE battery life too. So don't count on that as a solution. I had two go already. (And the dealer had to run through hoops performing a several hour battery charge and test procedure to meet the requirements for warranty replacement. So even though under warranty, it was a significant hassle what with waiting for the FCA road service contractor to come and jump start, and then waiting around for hours for the dealer to replace the thing.) The second one failed outside of the 24 month warranty, and I replaced it myself with an Autozone, which taking into account the time and additional hassle at the dealer for the first one, I wasn't unhappy to pay for. Since I don't drive a lot of miles, and had the early first failure, I check and charge the battery in this car regularly. So far the Autozone is holding up better than the OE did.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts