Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm on my second battery in my 2015 3.6. replaced stock that would just randomly go dead after 2 years... replaced it with another... 2 years later (last weekend) I noticed the battery voltage reports kinda high (14.5 volts while running) and never seems to go down even after extended driving trips of an hour or more. i took the battery back to the place i bought it from and they confirmed it's capacity was less than 1/4 of what it should have been and the resting voltage as low (11 volts) so they gave me a new one under warranty... but the car is still showing really high voltage (varying between 14.57 to 14.68 confirmed with voltmeter (car shows 14.4 and 14.5) even after driving it for the last 4 days. (half hour trips at a time)

I've never really looked into the voltage before, but can anybody confirm or deny if this is a normal voltage? it seems really high to me... but ive heard newer cars tend to charge really high...but this doesn't go down at all. Could I have an alternator issue that is going to be cooking my battery? all the connections are tight and there is no resistance in the wiring.

·
Super Moderator
1,884 Posts
I'm on my second battery in my 2015 3.6. replaced stock that would just randomly go dead after 2 years... replaced it with another... 2 years later (last weekend) I noticed the battery voltage reports kinda high (14.5 volts while running) and never seems to go down even after extended driving trips of an hour or more. i took the battery back to the place i bought it from and they confirmed it's capacity was less than 1/4 of what it should have been and the resting voltage as low (11 volts) so they gave me a new one under warranty... but the car is still showing really high voltage (varying between 14.57 to 14.68 confirmed with voltmeter (car shows 14.4 and 14.5) even after driving it for the last 4 days. (half hour trips at a time)

I've never really looked into the voltage before, but can anybody confirm or deny if this is a normal voltage? it seems really high to me... but ive heard newer cars tend to charge really high...but this doesn't go down at all. Could I have an alternator issue that is going to be cooking my battery? all the connections are tight and there is no resistance in the wiring.
I agree that the battery's are critical in these 200's.
The voltage you see isn't out of the ordinary.
With three Chrysler / FCA products in the household, I see voltage ranging up to 15 on my Durango. 5 years old, no issues, still original battery.
A low of 13.6 on my Challenger, all original including battery, almost 4 years old.
Our 200 is almost 6 years old, battery replaced once. Voltage shows between 14.1 to 14.3 most of the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks, that's a little reassuring. I'll still be keeping an eye on it. i guess i'm just used to cars charging at like 14.3 and then settling down to 13.X once the battery has been topped back off again.

·
Registered
272 Posts

That charging voltage is a little high. Definitely 11 volts while off is NOT normal, and indicates either an abnormal current draw or a failing charging system or battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That charging voltage is a little high. Definitely 11 volts while off is NOT normal, and indicates either an abnormal current draw or a failing charging system or battery.
yeah the battery was toast. I did get a new battery, but the voltage is still a little high for my liking. I did compare to a 2019 dodge caravan that we use for work and after startup, it was 14.6/14.7 as well. i didnt run it long enough to see if it tapered off.

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Replacement battery went out. That's what I get for buying a Wal-Mart battery. At least I won't need to be driving much anytime soon.

Just had a fun fiasco at Wal-Mart. No one there is cross trained and I was there for nearly 2 hours - automotive section had just shut down because of the pandemic. My replacement battery is dead so I went to exchange it for a new one.... almost had to pay despite the 5 year pro rated THREE YEAR FREE replacement warranty - battery less than 3 years old. To give you an idea how that went "You can't mail in a car battery" was almost uttered. I don't blame the employees especially considering the circumstances, I blame Wal-Mart and their bad protocol and lack of cross training. If I were dishonest I could have walked out with $14 cash on top of the free replacement battery I was rightfully owed. I had to tell the guy "this is nice but isn't your register going to be short?"

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Do you think this could be the cause of a u11e9?
It's funny you ask that. I suppose it is possible, and I was hoping it was in my case as my CEL is illuminated with that code (didn't post that on here). It was not the cause with mine. I cleared the code after installing the new battery, and although the light hasn't come on yet, the fan kicked on high not long after I started it and the AC compressor wasn't on.

I am sure next time I start it I will get the light and the code again. No obstruction in the grill shutters either. Probably a bad sensor/motor or worse yet, a wire harness. I haven't bothered to fix it yet since 1. it's not a critical issue even if it is annoying and 2. I have not had time to diagnose further. My gas mileage hasn't changed.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts