Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I've been test driving a 200 that I was ready to buy, but heard this noise (video below). It sounds like the rocker tick the Pentastar is known for. When you press the gas the ticks ramp up with the throttle. Sounds like multiple. Can hear the ticking from inside the cabin when its quiet and the windows are up. Just want to make sure that is what I am hearing.

Thanks in advance for the peer review!

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
It 'could' be. The valve covers would have to come off for an evaluation. It wouldn't be fair to say yes or no without an actual diagnosis.
Is it a collapsed HLA? If it is a defective rocker arm(s), how bad is the damage? Has it taken out a cam? Is this the reason that they are selling the car (Are they being honest about this & acknowledging the noise)?

Are there any signs that the top of the motor has already been apart (socket marks on the bolt heads)?
Would they negotiate or split the cost of an evaluation/estimate by another party? Or do they just want to sell the car?

I wouldn't outright condemn the car for this if it is the only issue. After repair & going forward, I'd use a synthetic motor oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395 only.
Automotive tire Font Gas Household hardware Engineering

Automotive tire Font Musical instrument Auto part Metal

Automotive tire Font Auto part Metal Cameras & optics

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Font Auto part Magenta

Reactions: BigTelecom

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's a tough one to tell. I've heard ones where the rocker arms absolutely failed and you can identify it immediately.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts