Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2016 Chrysler 200 (2.4) 45k miles

I recently had to replace an ignition coil for cylinder #4. Ever since I got my car back from the dealership it has a rough idle when the A/C is on. When switching from park to reverse sometimes it feels like the car is going to stall. (New battery)

I took the car back to the dealer, they say that they can feel the rough idling but they checked everything, checked the coils and all seems fine. They said motor mounts and transmission mounts are good. Nothing they can do. They basically told me to drive it until the check engine light comes on or I break down.

Is anyone familiar with this? Any help would be appreciated

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
637 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Is the idle 'rough' because of a cylinder misfire or just a slow idle?
If the #4 cylinder still has an obvious misfire issue (spark, fuel, valve actuators or compression), it should be something that can be diagnosed and confirmed.
They already confirmed that the car has a rough idle, right? Get everything documented in writing on a repair order as word-of-mouth isn't admissible for a claim.
They don't need a 'ck eng' light or fault code to be present and it would be unthinkable to tell a customer to 'drive it until it breaks down'. "Nothing they can do' sounds like a blow-off term.
Ask to speak with the service manager or dealer principal.
Catalyst and engine damage could occur by continuing to drive it in this condition.
There is a bulletin (if it hasn't been done yet) for cold rough idle and catalyst protection. This should be covered under the 8/80 extended Federal emission warranty. It is a PCM software flash:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically the car has a noticeable vibration while the AC is on, while in park or stopped in traffic. If I turn off the AC the vibration isn’t there. Service writer at the dealership said his best mechanic looked at the vehicle. They notice the vibration, but no codes are popping up. They checked all the coils, spark plugs, motor mounts and transmission mounts. They can’t find what’s causing the problem and they don’t want to start tearing apart the motor and charging me up the a** for something they can’t pinpoint. I called a different dealership and explained the situation and they told me it sounds like mounts are bad and that’s common on the 200s.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Could be a fuel injector crapping out. Mine did (3.6) and some others here.It might only be noticeable when the engine is under load. (A/C on) Mine was very faint but eng light came on for a day then shut off but the code was a misfire so my mechanic had too check the coil<plug<compression and injector too pinpoint. I would confirm w the dealer they checked the injector and if they did a compression test. That would rule out any engine problem. keep us posted and good luck!

Reactions: 200_S_AWD

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2016 Chrysler 200 (2.4) 45k miles

I recently had to replace an ignition coil for cylinder #4. Ever since I got my car back from the dealership it has a rough idle when the A/C is on. When switching from park to reverse sometimes it feels like the car is going to stall. (New battery)

I took the car back to the dealer, they say that they can feel the rough idling but they checked everything, checked the coils and all seems fine. They said motor mounts and transmission mounts are good. Nothing they can do. They basically told me to drive it until the check engine light comes on or I break down.

Is anyone familiar with this? Any help would be appreciated
my two cents , had the same ruff idol at a stop changed over to 89 octane gas and it helped , 10.1 compression is a lot for 87 octane .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts