Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I bought myself a 2015 Chrysler 200C with the 2.4 as a commuter car. It’s got 33k miles on it. I really like the car, but last night I noticed when I’m stopped at a stoplight or something, the car shakes pretty significantly. As soon as you press the pedal, it’s smooth again. When the car is in park and running, it still shakes slightly, but nothing like when it’s in drive. It’s to the point when standing outside the car, it almost sounds like my Powerstroke diesel. I popped the hood and noticed the motor is literally shaking. I’ve read it could be spark plugs, but that seems odd to me. When driving it’s smooth as can be (and responsive as a 4 banger could be I think?) Anyway, any insight?

·
Super Moderator
2,583 Posts
Without being there and looking at it, my guess would be - normal. In fact, unless someone is posting here that has personally diagnosed your vehicle, anyone is just guessing.

Something easy to try:

I assume you use 87 octane/regular fuel? Change fuel stations and/or run 89 or higher. It's perfectly fine on 87 fuel, but it will smooth out some with 89 or higher.

If you are using 89 or higher, try using different fuel station.

(if high altitude substitute "85" for 87 and "87" for 89)

If you are positive it's 100% smooth cruising and accelerating then the spark plugs and ignition coils are probably fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Please post if you found a solution. My problem comes and goes on my 2015 200c. I got a very very slight rough idle issue and I can hear the strokes of the engine sometimes. Like I said mines comes and goes and no engine codes. Mine happens when I first start the car and leave it in park
And the rpm slowly goes down from 1000 to about 750. It shakes just a tad nothing major. But I can tell it wasnt like that before. I am using a fuel cleaner just to see if theres a difference after a while. 55k miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand nobody can diagnose it for certain without looking at it. I was more curious to see if it was a common problem, how it was supposed to run or if anyone else had the same issue. I’ve seen several places say it’s the spark plugs, that just seems odd to me though.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Isn't the 2.4 known for being rough at idle? I saw many posts before complaining about that, I think it's normal and nothing can be done.

You could always check the engine and transmission mounts.

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
Alright guys. The 2.4 is known to be a shaker, and a little noisy, but not to the extremes some are saying.
Of course without seeing and driving, no way for any of us to tell the OP or theboss if what they feel is normal or not.
Our 2.4 is a little noisy and shakes a little ( very little ) and it's not as smooth as my 3.6, of course !

Again, if there are no codes, I would start with the basics like Black Knight said. Fuel.
Some fuel cleaner won't hurt either. ( a fuel system cleaner, like Techron )

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 2.4L is just naturally like that. Its quite noisy at idle and will shake. Depending on the temperature it may be perceived as worse. It is especially noisy this time of the year when its cold. Unless it really starts to hammer and make really bad noises or the CEL turns on I wouldnt be too concerned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015c with 31K that developed an extremely rough idle the vibrates the steering wheel and the seats of both the driver and passenger when the dealer installed the recall software for adaptive cruise control. This is not a routine rough idle! Dealer claimed today is was because of a worn lining on a motor mount and I replaced it at a cost of $389. There was no improvement. I will try high octane gas as others have suggested and new plugs before any more expensive dealer guesses.
It should be noted that a new transmission was installed Friday as a result of many complaints that the transmission would often not downshift to low gear at a stop sign until after the accelerator was depressed and would then launch with a severe jerk. Launch jerk occurred twice this morning on my way to the dealer so I doubt the new transmission has fixed either problem. Stephanie (good person!) is my case manager so I will advise her tomorrow of my continuing problems.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have a 2015c with 31K that developed an extremely rough idle the vibrates the steering wheel and the seats of both the driver and passenger when the dealer installed the recall software for adaptive cruise control. This is not a routine rough idle! Dealer claimed today is was because of a worn lining on a motor mount and I replaced it at a cost of $389. There was no improvement. I will try high octane gas as others have suggested and new plugs before any more expensive dealer guesses.
It should be noted that a new transmission was installed Friday as a result of many complaints that the transmission would often not downshift to low gear at a stop sign until after the accelerator was depressed and would then launch with a severe jerk. Launch jerk occurred twice this morning on my way to the dealer so I doubt the new transmission has fixed either problem. Stephanie (good person!) is my case manager so I will advise her tomorrow of my continuing problems.
Great, engine and transmission are trash, time to get a lemon law lawyer and get rid of it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Our 2015 200C (2.4L) vibrates in idle only when in gear (stop light).. When we first got it, it was smooth with a higher idle.. but after all the flashes to address the rough shifting, the idle is lower now..

But with the higher idle, you had to make sure brake was firmly applied, otherwise it would jump forward.. It's a 9 speed thing.. our '14 Dart is fine with different transmission.

Next time at a light, gas a little to raise rpms slightly..smooths out..

JK

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a shake also . I have a 2016 Chrysler 200 in mine has a shake too but if I raise the RPMs a little bit it's fine spark plugs everything they've been changed that do the maintenance. And I've been wondering about the idle shake myself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts