Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just has an inspection done on my 2015 LX as it was just coming up to the end of it's 5yr warranty. It has just under 100,000kms.

Everything passed, except my cracked windshield and they said all 4 of my brake rotors are so rusty they need to changed.

They want $1340 to do a complete brake job.

To me, if the rotors are that bad, within the warranty period (and mileage) they should be warrantied?

Keep in mind, they are not worn out, and the pads are good. They are, apparently, so rusty they might fall apart....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I will presume this inspection was done by a dealer service dept. As the brakes are not covered under the warranty, I would pass on the brake work. If you have a concern, have them inspected by a trusted local mechanic. After 100,000kms, it is possible the front pads may need replacement but without being able to see for myself it is not possible to tell.

By complete brake job, I presume that includes rotors and pads. The price quoted is a bit on the high side due to the use of dealer parts but is not out of line.

Regarding the rotors, they will rust particularly where salt is used on the roads but it is surface rust. I have seen front rotors ground down to the vanes and they did not fall apart, noisy yes.

Bottom line for me, rust is not a reason to replace brake parts unless they are noisy, grinding, or pulsating when applied.

As for the warranty covering the rotors, most warranties specifically exclude brake pads and rotors.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize that 'wear' parts are not usually covered by warranties. However. that is for normal wear and tear, whereas a rotor rusting, so badly, the dealer deems it a safety concern, in under 5yrs, 100,000kms is more of a mfg. defect.

The rotors on my 1983 Monte Carlo have a little surface rust on the non pad surfaces. My 2005 Honda ST-1300 rotors are completely rust free.

I remember doing the brakes on a 1998 Dodge Dakota that was about 6yrs old, and the rear drums looked like they would 'fall to dust' if you hit them with a hammer.

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
143 Posts
Before you shell out $1340.00 take a look at rockauto.com. The prices for front rotors (daily drivers) are under $30 each and the rears are under $20 each... As far as a "complete" brake job I doubt that it is needed...
All standard brake rotors RUST and the rust is usually worn off in the braking area the first time you apply the brakes after the car has sat for a while... I'd suggest finding another opinion or replacing them yourself after watching a youtube video on your car. Because FIAT (Chrysler) uses European hardware you will need to buy some torx sockets ... Even an independent mechanic will do the job for MUCH less than the dealer wants for the job...
Because I rebuilt my 2016 Chrysler 200s (4cyl) and had to replace the aluminum engine cradle and right short (CV) shaft I had to buy the torx sockets to remove the front end parts... Lowes carries the external torx socket sets...
As far as the job goes an average driveway mechanic can easily do it...
Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would (will) do the brakes myself, when it actually needs it. The rust is not on the pad surface its the rotors themselves. The light coating of rust on the pad surface comes off first time I use the brakes. They are saying the rotors may fall apart.

Oh, and we Canadians have had Torx drivers for decades!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
977 Posts
I am certified to do annual motor vehicle safety & emissions in NY state.
I can see a cracked windshield not passing if the crack extends into the wiper path, but would they fail it for rusty rotors?
Something isn't right. I would have them show you where the state or province motor vehicle inspection document that would fail rotors for rust. Is it impeding safe braking in any way?
Have them put up or shut up. It sounds like a starving tech is trying to sell a brake job.
See p. 38 here:

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't a vehicle inspection for licensing, just an FYI inspection, for me, before the warranty ran out. Hoping they might catch anything that should be fixed before then.

A few months earlier the dealer replaced the rear links and shocks under warranty.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It wasn't a vehicle inspection for licensing, just an FYI inspection, for me, before the warranty ran out. Hoping they might catch anything that should be fixed before then.

A few months earlier the dealer replaced the rear links and shocks under warranty.
Like yourself I have the extended warranty due to expire April 2022. It's the Chrysler 419 plan and also, like yourself, I intend to have the car checked over by the dealer before that date.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
977 Posts
So if you decline the 'suggested' brake work, there are no repercussions against your warranty?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just has an inspection done on my 2015 LX as it was just coming up to the end of it's 5yr warranty. It has just under 100,000kms.

Everything passed, except my cracked windshield and they said all 4 of my brake rotors are so rusty they need to changed.

They want $1340 to do a complete brake job.

To me, if the rotors are that bad, within the warranty period (and mileage) they should be warrantied?

Keep in mind, they are not worn out, and the pads are good. They are, apparently, so rusty they might fall apart....
First thing I would do if the brakes are working fine is go somewhere else for the inspection and see if it is really an issue. I must say my state does not do that kind of inspection. Crack in windshield has to be in drivers view to fail, lights, horn, blinkers, turn signal and tire tread that is it. We have it pretty good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
First thing I would do if the brakes are working fine is go somewhere else for the inspection and see if it is really an issue. I must say my state does not do that kind of inspection. Crack in windshield has to be in drivers view to fail, lights, horn, blinkers, turn signal and tire tread that is it. We have it pretty good.
I should also say if the rust is flaking you can take a wire brush and clean the flakes. Where the pads compress on the rotor should be cleaned by the pads when you drive it, if rotors are not clean where the pats rest the brake cylinders may be bad and that could be the problem he is referring to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts