Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the harbor freight cen-tech 60694 obdll scanner and for the most part, it works for what i have needed. but never had to use it on the 200s 2.4 auto trans. so does anyone happen to know if this will work on this car for troubleshooting? and if anyone has it where to get the latest updates for it. my searches turn up nothing that works. found a few sites but they do not work or malware bytes blocks them for some reasons they don't like.

anyway, i have been researching new scanners that will do abs srs tpim park brakes and the like but for the dyi they are a bit costly. so if this 60694 unit can't be updated much anymore what scanner do you recommend for the newer cars/trucks? i have one of those readers you use that is the dongle and your phone but that one does less than the centech unit does and it is newer and i paid way more for it.

anyway i would like to get one that does aba srs trans ebrakes etc as long as i'm going to have to get another one, unless my centech can be updated to do those functions.

thanks, bp

· Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
3,280 Posts
From what I see, this is an engine/transmission tool only:

A capable tool that can do more modules will be more expensive. It is like the sky is the limit. The dealership scan tools cost several thousand dollars. There are some parameters that the automakers, EPA and NHTSA don't want you to tamper with. Strictly diagnostic may be OK.

The Alfa-OBD can do a lot on the FCA products with a laptop PC:

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i have the manual for the 60694 scanner, and i know some scanners cost lots of money but i'm betting that there are some out there that can scan most of the things we could use for fixing our own cars. maybe someone will stop by with some of the units that can do this. i'm looking for one that can do more than the 200 cars. the one you mention most likely can. if i ned a laptop at the car is good but that can be inconvenient at times. but if using a laptop is the way to get a more versatile unit then that is the way to go. so maybe someone has a site for the software for the laptops. thanks much for the ideas.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i found a elm327 obdll scanner that plugs into my laptop. after getting the reply i went out and found it in a drawer, i forgot i had this one. i tried to install the cd programs but they will not install. must be to old now i guess. my adapter is the elm327 interface v1.5a and it has a bunch of software with it but not seem to want to work the scan master software was installed but the code it gave me failed. and i can't get into the help page to find the company to request help. must be one of those china knockoffs i guess. that might be why it was in a drawer and the cd was setting behind it. way back when i got it i must have had issues getting a program to run and just tossed it into a drawer and forgot it.
i do have an adapter that runs on Bluetooth and that runs on the torque lite app on my phone but all that does is scan for codes and lets me clear them. not much for diagnostics. it does have a great feature for dials and graphing. but not much else. and i also have one that i keep in my s10 plugged in all the time for checking mpg and 3 other items i can't remember now but they're in there for a reason. but all that does is clear codes. that one is called the scan gauge. now they are real wxspensive for what little they do. but 20 years ogo it was rather cheap and for what i wanted it serves the purpose.

so if anyone knows any good software for that elm327 i have and actually works let me know. i searched and all the sites that come up do not have any free to try software. and i will not pay for it if i can't try it first. got burned to many times for junk software. hard to get your money back. but a hold in your hand scanner you can return. this is what mine looks like. must be some china junk but who knows maybe it is salvageable.
Product Font Technology Circle Electric blue

thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
This is the same tool as the Autel AL519 and can be updated to version 8.02 available on their web site Susing the Maxsys2 software also downloadable. Don't waste youre time trying to find a Centech update. It doesn't exist. Just another one of those things Harbor Freight has made for them, sells and then just drops the ball. Once you done with the update the tool will power up as an Autel AL519 Scantool and works perfectly. I routinely use it on my 2019 Cadillac XT5.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you telling me i can update the centech scanner to a autel al519? if so do you have the link for that maxsys2 software? i did get an update on the centech maybe a year ago but as you the do not even show that tool on there sight. i'm learning about the harbor freight dropping there line of tool and then not supporting them. i found that out with the 18 volt drill. can't get a battery for that anymore. so i went to the proter cable. anyway of you have a link for that website and it is for converting the centech scanner into an autel al519 i can give that a test run. thanks

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i did an update on this scanner in nov 21 and is was succesfull but i was just asking to make sure it might be compatible. i i connected it during an oil change back 2 years ago and it would not reset the oil light so ihad to do it the hard way

i now have another scanner the foxwell 6x4nt and that has an oil and epb ability so when i next do another oil change i will check it out. and yes i do oil changes per the oil life monitor set to 4000 miles thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts