Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Scotty says pretty much any modern car sucks. I don't put much stock in anything he says.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do find Scotty to be a bit over the top sometimes, but he is right about the 200. I have had two of them. The first was a 2012 with the 3.6L, started getting some kind of bearing noise around 15k miles. Had it looked at multiple times at different dealers and a water pump replaced. My second was a 2015 200. I had that one for just over 50k miles. In that time the front wheel bearings went out, coolant reservoir cracked, battery died, engine got a rough idle, never got over the quirky at best transmission, and a random coolant leak towards the end. I was putting more fix-it money into the 200 than my 1995 Grand Cherokee. They do look good, but there was definitely some serious quality control issues to be addressed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2015 Limited is turning 102,000 tomorrow. I bought it used "previous accident" with 8000 miles on it. Besides oil changes, I've replaced the tires, battery, and disconnected the driver's side hands free speaker as it was squealing loudly. Oh yeah, I replaced the spark plugs with iridiums. It's been a pretty good vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2,618 Posts
The best car in the known universe is a white 90 something Toyota Celica - you just can't beat it. :rolleyes:

I stopped watching when he stated you could get a Camry for the same price or less. Who in the USA would pay MSRP for an new American branded mid-sized mainstream sedan? Are we pretending FCA, Ford and GM don't have crazy "rebates" on their cars? My car MSRP was ~32K. I did't pay anything NEAR that price. A 4cyl Camry would have been more than what I actually paid - and that's what counts, what you actually paid for it, not MSRP.

Don't mean to be rude but I will mention that my son says Scotty sounds like he's slightly to mostly drunk in all his videos, and doesn't agree with most of anything Scotty has to say, despite the fact that my son is an enthusiast that is a little more bias towards Japanese cars - but owns a Dodge Neon. :)

I have had 3 Chrysler 200's all new - one of them I have taken from new to 113,000 miles.

Sure there are more reliable vehicles, but the majority (but not all) of those are boring appliances and the ones that are not appliances cost far more and maintenance and repair cost match those high prices - unless you buy used or lease.

I don't regret owning any of the three 200's I had, I would do it all over again.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Scotty sucks!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I agree with everything he said, from personal experience, my dealer spent about $8k fixing my car using CarMax warranty, never in my life have I been to the dealer so many times in 2 years.
Transmission shifts hard 2-3, I don't care anymore, glad I didn't get the 4 banger, italian POS, made in the USA my arse!
Electrical issues, yeah I got one, every 10 months or so my driver side sunvisor burns out, there's power through the plug, I replaced the visor twice in 2 years and it burned out again last month.
I need a CV shaft now, driver side, have an appointment with the dealer in a few weeks, again!
F this car, every 6 months it needs something fixed, sure it looks good and the V-6 is fast, but transmission is no good, and the story about the brake pads is correct, every time In looked up a part, using the VIN number, I ended up with half a dozen options, seriously annoying.
My next brand will be Korean, they make their cars nice, inexpensive and reliable, love the new Optima, keeping my eye on the GV70 in the future.

Reactions: JohnDoe11b

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't kill the messenger! For the most part, Scotty is right.
Joe: Sorry to hear about your woes with the car. My '16 200c purchased new after having sat on the dealer's lot for 13 months has performed flawlessly and currently has 42,000 miles. It is the most luxurious car I have ever owned with the beautiful leather and wood interior, panoramic sunroof, symphony of safety features and a quiet and efficient Pentastar V-6. I feel my car is the exception to the rule and being later production may have allowed many of the problems to have been worked out. Resale prices on these vehicles reflect that they are sub-par in most respects and you are wise to switch brands.

·
Super Moderator
2,618 Posts
I agree with everything he said,
My next brand will be Korean, they make their cars nice, inexpensive and reliable, love the new Optima, keeping my eye on the GV70 in the future.
hmmm.... you should see what he has to say about your Korean cars - Kia's and Hyundai's "Yandai's" you like then... I am thinking you won't agree with him on that. He thinks of them the same as the Chrysler brand and the Chrysler 200.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was waiting for someone to say this! He rips into them!!

Jokes aside, Scotty is a smart guy and has an entertaining YouTube channel, but he knocks every brand except Toyota/Lexus.

But test drive all desired cars, research, and make a decision you are comfortable with!

hmmm.... you should see what he has to say about your Korean cars - Kia's and Hyundai's "Yandai's" you like then... I am thinking you won't agree with him on that. He thinks of them the same as the Chrysler brand and the Chrysler 200.

·
Super Moderator
2,618 Posts
I was waiting for someone to say this! He rips into them!!

Jokes aside, Scotty is a smart guy
Well... OK but hmmm... Jalopnik noticed this - there are some other things you might look at as well a little closer. That said I have heard a few other professional mechanics say and do similar very very stupid things. No one recently besides Scotty tho... I agree it's entertaining.

Look at the link hawkfan posted above...

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
142 Posts
I do agree with the Hyundai/KIA suggestions... Before I bought my 2016 200s (salvage)... I drove and recommended both... The 2006 Spectra was the first car in years that I had to do nothing to it (after rebuilding it from salvage)... It still runs flawlessly for a friend of mine I sold it to her for $1000... We have had 4 Spectras, 2 Sonatas, 2 Accents, and one 2014 Optima (all rebuilt salvage)... They just work and run... My 2016 200s was very expensive to reassemble (aluminum and plastic parts) and at 48k miles needs rear wheel bearings... I do like the 200 BUT the combination of FIAT and American quality (imported from Detroit) reminds me of past USA cars and their constant upkeep...
All brands have their problems an Hyundai/KIA had problems with 2.4l engines (built in America)... Our 2014 Optima was strangely built in Korea and not Georgia and the engine was built there also so no recalls on this one...
Time will tell on my 200...
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
I enjoy listening to Scotty and for the most part, he’s only trying to help, and does provide good advice to his viewers. However, like everybody, he has his bias...

All I can say is the 2013 Chrysler 200, 3.6L has been flawless. My son drives it now and with 127,000 miles, it continues to be FLAWLESS. The only thing I had to replace was the T-Stat and that was at 98,000 miles. Overall, I’m very happy with it.

I always believed that you got more car for the money with Chrysler, however, you could tell Chrysler 200 was going under given that there was only one interior color options in the 2015+ models...at least I couldn’t find one with another interior color...and...given some of the issue with the model, I’m glad I didn’t trade up.

KMN
2013 200 Limited, 3.6L with Tan Interior LOL
127K Miles

·
Super Moderator
2,618 Posts
Just to clarify further... yes I agree Scotty does know a few things, but what I would consider obvious for someone that has been associated with the automotive industry for as long as he has (longer than I have been alive) - or even just an enthusiast for that long, but I won't pick on him anymore. He does have a point with his bias - at least it's consistent.

Without going into great detail and a long explanation about the 2.4 in that Chrysler 200 in his video and the 2.4 in the Optima and Sonata (that all 3 look oddly similar) for one very small aspect of the greater issue... when someone says they are getting rid of their Chrysler "junk" for a Hyundai - it's not much different than saying they don't like Minneapolis because of the cold weather so they are going to move to St.Paul where it's warmer - OK fine maybe not that close but you get the point... best analogy I could think of quickly.

Yeah it was 2009, but it's the same stuff in different packages without very many changes... you honestly think they dump their parts bins clean and start with a fresh design? If you believe sales and marketing then you believe they do. If you know the auto industry, you know how slowly ALL automakers make any substantial changes for one because of costs... See below

Mitsubishi GS platform | Wikiwand <-- How about that new Eclipse Cross?

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
at 26k miles now and the engine bay has a squealing sound during cold starts, but goes away in a couple seconds. During inspection they noticed the rear passenger CV boot is leaking and fuel nozzles keep clicking off the moment I try to fill it up. Even at absolute minimum squeeze it will still click off eventually.

Tried to clear the evap hose that comes out of the filler neck today but I'm definitely doing this wrong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
at 26k miles now and the engine bay has a squealing sound during cold starts, but goes away in a couple seconds.
The squealing noise is likely the tensioner. Some of the 2015 models with the V6 have this issue during cold starts. The solution is to replace the tensioner (it's covered under warranty if you have any warranty left). Here is a TSB on this issue: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10119621-9999.pdf

Can't really offer any help on the fuel system issue but I thought this might be helpful if you want to get rid of that noise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The squealing noise is likely the tensioner. Some of the 2015 models with the V6 have this issue during cold starts. The solution is to replace the tensioner (it's covered under warranty if you have any warranty left). Here is a TSB on this issue: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10119621-9999.pdf

Can't really offer any help on the fuel system issue but I thought this might be helpful if you want to get rid of that noise.
Advisor just called and said it needs a new pulley. Not covered under cpo warranty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts