Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, since this issue is surfacing at least once a week, I thought it would be a good idea to document it here. Can someone that experienced this issue jump in and explain in detail what the dealer did to fix it?

I have a feeling that it could help people point their dealer in the right direction faster as for one, my dealer never heard of this issue.

MODS: Can you make this a sticky please?

EDIT: Sorry for the typo in the title, should have been BRAKE...Not sure if I can fix it though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Readers Digest short version:
Car lost all power on highway, the afformentioned error messages popped up, and was towed to dealer. They reflashed TCM and sent it home. The next day, the car broke in the exact same spot (exactly, same time of day and everything) with the same error messages. This time I was able to get the car moving again and drove to the dealer. The car acted up for the dealer, throwing multiple codes for all kinds of different things (abs, tpms, trans, brake, etc). They ended up reflashing the TCM with a new version of the software that had coincidentally just been released that day. They drove it and it was still not acting right. So they called Star Service and they recommended that the dealer inspect, clean, and grease the TCM connector due to possible corrosion from water during the wash cycle at the ZF plant. Car has been fine ever since, though I still don't trust it like I used to, especially when approaching the spot of highway that it seems to be so fond of. Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the same issue don't need to repeat it all here, but I will say its still in the shop after 2 weeks. On mine Star told them to replaced that wiring harness which would include the connector. The part is on nation backorder(wonder why?) and they may not receive it until the end of December.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had this issue and my transmission was completely replaced with a new one - no issues now.

·
Registered
858 Posts
So three different fixes, so far, for the same symptoms. While it's possible all three instances were the result of different causes and therefore all three solutions were correct, it seems a lot more likely to me that the common root cause is the connection between the harness and transmission, which potentially was addressed by each of the three solutions. If I were ZF or the harness manufacturer though I would much rather being footing the cost for cleaning the connector than replacing my assembly, especially if that's all it really takes. There would be lot less down time that way for the customer too. It will be interesting to see what other posters have to say about their experiences.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So three different fixes, so far, for the same symptoms. While it's possible all three instances were the result of different causes and therefore all three solutions were correct, it seems a lot more likely to me that the common root cause is the connection between the harness and transmission, which potentially was addressed by each of the three solutions. If I were ZF or the harness manufacturer though I would much rather being footing the cost for cleaning the connector than replacing my assembly, especially if that's all it really takes. There would be lot less down time that way for the customer too. It will be interesting to see what other posters have to say about their experiences.
I don't think its three different causes at all from what I have read. I think the problem is the connector on the internal wiring harness in the transmission. In my case they are replacing the harness. In another case they cleaned the connector and the third case they replaced the transmission. I am still waiting for the part which is on backorder and that could be the reason the repairs went the way they did in the other two cases. It could be that it was much quicker to get a whole transmission rather that wait 6 weeks for the harness and in the other case of course it would be quicker to just clean and grease the connector. In my opinion the root cause is probably the same thought.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Were the connectors a problem right from the factory, or were they damaged by the weather after?
I'm going to look under the car and in the engine bay in hopes of cleaning and greasing all connectors.
I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I had a close look at the 2.4 engine, actual electrical components laid out all around the engine.
Yesterday I noticed even more components buried deep by the wheel. What will happen after a few years of salt and water ?
Take a look at a Toyota for example and EVERY electrical component is either out of the engine bay or completely sealed with no connectors

There were even mouse droppings on the battery carpet, must have been from the dealer lot where I had it stay waiting for parts.
I suggest people set up mouse traps around their car like I do since the critters can chew through wires, nest in your air box etc.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Were the connectors a problem right from the factory, or were they damaged by the weather after?
I'm going to look under the car and in the engine bay in hopes of cleaning and greasing all connectors.
I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I had a close look at the 2.4 engine, actual electrical components laid out all around the engine.
Yesterday I noticed even more components buried deep by the wheel. What will happen after a few years of salt and water ?
Take a look at a Toyota for example and EVERY electrical component is either out of the engine bay or completely sealed with no connectors

There were even mouse droppings on the battery carpet, must have been from the dealer lot where I had it stay waiting for parts.
I suggest people set up mouse traps around their car like I do since the critters can chew through wires, nest in your air box etc.
With the extreme weather that we have here and all the salt, calcium and sand that they put on the roads, I keep my engine bay as clean as possible. Everytime I wash my car, I clean the engine bay. My 07' Sebring's engine bay is almost like new...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well just over 3 weeks out of service and still waiting for the internal wiring harness. I don't what to say other than I'm a little disappointed in this. I had called Chrysler customer care about this and the woman was very nice and took all the information and she saw how many Chrysler products I have bought and she thanked me for that. Then she sent this to a case manager and while he has been nice on the phone it seems he is just a person with no power do really do anything. He did send it to their backordered parts people and he says they can usually get the parts quicker which is good but I still have no answer to when it will arrive. He calls the dealer every few days to see if its in and then calls me to tell me its not. I did ask on the last call If I could get a car payment covered for the month or something just for being off the road so long and the answer was no. Then I asked if he could maybe send it up to someone else at Chrysler to see if they could do anything and after a brief hold so he could ask someone he came back and so no their is no one higher than him. So I know that was total crap, but I will wait a few more days and hope the part arrives this week. I think overall Chrysler had made big improvements with the product, but they need to work out these quality issues, but I think their biggest issue is the customer service really needs to improve.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well just over 3 weeks out of service and still waiting for the internal wiring harness. I don't what to say other than I'm a little disappointed in this. I had called Chrysler customer care about this and the woman was very nice and took all the information and she saw how many Chrysler products I have bought and she thanked me for that. Then she sent this to a case manager and while he has been nice on the phone it seems he is just a person with no power do really do anything. He did send it to their backordered parts people and he says they can usually get the parts quicker which is good but I still have no answer to when it will arrive. He calls the dealer every few days to see if its in and then calls me to tell me its not. I did ask on the last call If I could get a car payment covered for the month or something just for being off the road so long and the answer was no. Then I asked if he could maybe send it up to someone else at Chrysler to see if they could do anything and after a brief hold so he could ask someone he came back and so no their is no one higher than him. So I know that was total crap, but I will wait a few more days and hope the part arrives this week. I think overall Chrysler had made big improvements with the product, but they need to work out these quality issues, but I think their biggest issue is the customer service really needs to improve.
Stand your ground, they will bend. They have to compensate for your loss especially with a brand new car. The situation would be totally different on a 1 year old car, but new cars don't belong in the shop for a month as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Tell them you will lemon law their ass for a Ford Explorer, see if they still don't want to reimburse you after that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please also specify the engine type as the transmissions are different on the V6 versions (9HP made by ZF themselves as opposed to ZF designed, but built by chrysler with chrysler modifications on the I4)

·
Super Moderator
2,208 Posts
Mine is a 3.6 V-6 and I'm now being told it could be mid January before the part is in.
Just hire a "lemon law" attorney and get it over with.
Either Chrysler needs to get with the program and know how to fix these issues ( and supply parts ) or they can buy the cars back.
I love our car, but I wouldn't tap dance around waiting for a repair on a new car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just hire a "lemon law" attorney and get it over with.
Either Chrysler needs to get with the program and know how to fix these issues ( and supply parts ) or they can buy the cars back.
I love our car, but I wouldn't tap dance around waiting for a repair on a new car.
Well, right now it's not a "lemon" as his problem is still just the one original problem. His delay is trying to get the part to fix it. Unfortunately, that's common with any newly designed or refreshed cars. Parts are hard to come by. Just ask anyone that's already crashed their new 200 or other newly released vehicle. They'll be waiting months for even simple repairs.

It's definitely frustrating and Chrysler should do whatever they can to get these parts out quickly, but this isn't just a Chrysler problem, it's with all makes and models that are new. Heck, that's even the case with old models. Just ask anyone with a GM vehicle currently on recall status (my Pontiac G6 has been waiting 4 months for a part to fix the transmission shift cable).

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, right now it's not a "lemon" as his problem is still just the one original problem. His delay is trying to get the part to fix it. Unfortunately, that's common with any newly designed or refreshed cars. Parts are hard to come by. Just ask anyone that's already crashed their new 200 or other newly released vehicle. They'll be waiting months for even simple repairs.

It's definitely frustrating and Chrysler should do whatever they can to get these parts out quickly, but this isn't just a Chrysler problem, it's with all makes and models that are new. Heck, that's even the case with old models. Just ask anyone with a GM vehicle currently on recall status (my Pontiac G6 has been waiting 4 months for a part to fix the transmission shift cable).
Simple solution, tell the dealer to take the part from a new car on his lot and they will be able to fix the new one once the part gets in. I wouldn't accept to wait this long for a part on a new car. This is part of the reason why my story went sideways with Chrysler in October.

·
Super Moderator
2,208 Posts
Well, right now it's not a "lemon" as his problem is still just the one original problem. His delay is trying to get the part to fix it. Unfortunately, that's common with any newly designed or refreshed cars.
I condensed most of what you said so I can reply to the specific issue. I am not attorney, or do I know the laws of each and every state. What I do know is in New Jersey, your vehicle classifies as a "lemon" if it has been in the shop for 30 days, in part, or over subsequent visits, for multiple issues.
This vehicle ( rb200's ) does qualify in my state. Let Chrysler wait to repair the car. Refund his money and let him decide on another car.

Simple solution, tell the dealer to take the part from a new car on his lot and they will be able to fix the new one once the part gets in. I wouldn't accept to wait this long for a part on a new car. This is part of the reason why my story went sideways with Chrysler in October.
Most dealers won't do this. It takes a car off the sales inventory. The OP's car is sold and they really don't care about that car, just the next buyer to walk in the door that might buy the car waiting for parts.
That won't happen, the buyer will walk away ... wouldn't you ?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yea had I found out that my car from the lot had been parted out to fix someone else's car, I would have easily walked away from that deal. That would have created two problems rather than solving the one problem for the dealer. Loss of sales and the disgruntled owner. I think they would pick just the disgruntled owner.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I agree with you guys, but I know it is something they do from time to time having work at my dealership for 12 years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just took my car in for this issue happening to me as well on Monday 12/1/2014. I have a 2015 200 S with the 2.4l engine. I talked to the service department and he said that they had to send up a Star Request to find out more. He stated that another issue that they ran into is when they put it in park and took their foot off the brake in the service bay that it continued to move. I am still waiting to find out more and hope it is not going to be down to long as they told me they can only give me a rental for 5 days.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts