Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Chrysler 200, 196,000 miles. About a year ago, after my car had been parked for 12 hours in 25 degree weather (if that matters) within minutes of pulling off from home the “Shift to P then desired gear” message popped up, it stalled as if it were in neutral. I was able to start it, drive home & parked. I figured it was bc I didn’t let the engine warm up (don’t judge me) my car sat for a week until I had the money to take it to the shop. Soon after moving the car to take it, I noticed There was a leak. After an Oil check, it was completely empty. I put 1 quart & drove 35 miles to the nearest Firestone. Something about them putting the wrong filter plug, 9 hours of waiting later & it was done. Didn’t happen again until today. No error message other than “Shift to P then desired gear” 3 times in 20 minutes. I just got gas at a rinky dink gas station so I wonder if that could be the problem. I heard about the recalls, never been to the dealership. I’m a doordash/waitr/ubereats/ Lyft driver.. 16 hours a day. I need this remedied asap

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,470 Posts
Welcome to the forum. At 8 years old and almost 200K, you should visit a dealership service dept if only to run the VIN and check for recalls, updates, etc.
Does Chrysler even know you own this car or how to reach you if they had to?

If it asks you to 'Shift to P and then to desired gear' when it is obviously already parked and in 'P', the car must not know that it is already in 'P'.
You might have a 'loss of communications' fault code between the ESM (electronic shift module) and TCM (transaxle control module) that are part of the shift-by-wire system.

Does the PRNDL blink when this happens?
DTC=Diagnostic Trouble Code (same as a fault code).
Font Number Screenshot

You car has missed some module software updates. The software updates are improvements to address issues like this. Nothing has to come apart and no parts have to be replaced:
Font Number Screenshot Document Parallel

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

1 - 2 of 2 Posts