Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried to install my driver's side camera underneath the side mirror and realized that to run the cables from the mirror to the inside of the car wasn't as easy as I thought. So far, I know how to get the wires from the mirror to the inside of the door panel. From there to the inside of the car, I think that I can run the cables through an accordion looking rubber tube that is attached to the lower part of the door and to the cars footwear area ( idk if that's the correct name for that area) which is the one that carries all the cables for the door controls to the inside of the car.

Has anyone done it before? Could you please give me some ideas?

Thanks in advance to all of you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am looking to do the same mod... What you are thinking is what I have read is the best way to run the cable.

What camera are you using? Why this camera? Did you do a lot of research?

Thx

·
Registered
317 Posts
Do you have any pictures you can show, with mounting, or a write up or post that you can provide? This sounds awesome, link to hardware if possible as well

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the interest in doing this mod and your help as well. I haven't taken pics but I will do as many as possible once I start working on the second one. I just installed the first one on the driver side and left the cable hanging inside the door panel until tomorrow since I had to head to work. Be patient on me since it'll be my first time posting a walk around with pics. I wasn't planing to do a walk through but I see that there are other people trying to do this mod and there is not detailed information about this mod on this forum.

The camera that I'm using is this one: I don't think is the best but it has good things (Read Below)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121150021490?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Positive Thing(s) About It: They are CCD with night vision, flush mount type, and you can switch on or off the guide lines by cutting a green cable that it is easy to reattach later on with a twist-on wire connector gray or blue color (either one should work for the size of those cable) There is a white cable next to the green and it works as a switch as well for Mirror or No Mirror image (I have no idea what that means. I'm gonna try cutting it to see what it dose). I like how clear and colorful the image is. I haven't' checked the night vision feature yet. I will let you guys know once I try it out on dark areas.

Negative Thing(s) About It: I know that the image should show part of the bumper of my car but the red guide lines shouldn't be on top of my bumper. To me the lines where not placed high enough inside the camera or maybe the lens angle is not high enough. I hate it with my life :mad:. I'll try to contact the seller to see if i could move those lines up instead of having to stick a small piece of thin black plastic or rubber in the back of the backup camera between the trunk and the camera itself so I can lift up the image and thus the grid lines.

To avoid this type of negative problem, I will suggest you guys to buy a camera with the same features of this one and that also the little lens could swivel up and down with the touch of your finger. I don't even know if that camera exist, please let me know if anyone finds it.

For the side position cameras, I will cut the green wire to turn the grid lines off and see how high the image will look like then.

Stay tune for more. LOL :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, I was just searching to find a camera where the lens swivels with a small form factor, flush mount type, CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) technology. (you can search on google "CMOS or CCD" to learn more about the differences). Asn I found this on e-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360-Ccd-Car-Vehicle-Rear-View-Side-Front-Camera-Back-Up-Spy-Mini-Cam-Wide-120-/400857703897?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

The big drawback is that it looks like you'll have to make a big hole underneath the side view mirror in order to put the camera in. The mirror has a small area but I think it could fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for your response... Looks like we are working to do the same mods... I also see you have a 2012, which I also have, so that will help me out...
I assume you had to put in a lockpick? If so, which version?
I am looking at this as a backup camera (http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/chrysler-200-oem-rear-view-backup-camera-system.html). It is a bit expensive but if I keep the car for 4-6 years, it will be worth it as the camera seems to have good reviews.
How many cameras are you looking to put in.. I am thinking 4.. (f,r,ls, rs)..
I have a 130RES system in my vehicle now, but am looking to upgrade to the 730N/RHR.
I wont try to hijack your thread but will post things that I find. I am going to start another thread as I have a handful of questions on the 730N.
Thx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the lockpick V.5 but if you have the money to spend and want to install 4 cameras then you need to get the lockpick air.

I'm planning to install 3 cameras. Backup camera is already done; left side is half way down; and the right side in on the way.

I will post more pics once i start working on my second side camera.

And here is a good thread to install the backup camera.

http://www.200forums.com/forum/34-chrysler-200-do-yourself-articles/1043-rear-camera-installation-w-pics.html#/forumsite/20698/topics/1043

I was able to install the back up camera right on the middle of the trim piece. I just had to use a round file in order make room inside the trim area.

The camera that you are planning to buy looks great but it is a hefty amount of money for my budget and I'm sure it is worth every penny.

Thanks for not trying to hijack my thread :) lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the V.5 Lockpick can handle 4 cameras... Would be great if you can send pics as you go...

As for your side cameras, if your connector can hold another nut or two to hold the camera in place, I would add them. I would hate to see, after "some" time that the nut came loose either in the side view mirror or ear view. One or two additional nuts would secure the camera in pace bit better..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lockpick v5 it allows to connect either a front/left cam, plus a baby/right cam, and a backup camera. Read about it here:

http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm

Now, regarding mounting the side cameras, you don't need to use two nuts instead use one nut and a split lock washer:

https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/ML6360000A20000

I'm using that website as a visual aid of how split lock washer looks like. I've never purshased anything through them. You could get them at your local parts store.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read a couple sites that sell the unit. I was under the impression that the v.5 has 4 video feeds. Maybe I should relook at the v.5 more closely. Thanks for the heads up...

As for the lock washer, one would be needed, but I have seen some get loose on tractors, ride on lawn mowers, etc.. I would use them if only as another fail safe. No big deal...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, yesterday I spent half of my day trying to figure out how to run the video, positive, and ground cables inside the car from the side mirrors. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figured it out at all. I might have to take it to someone that is more knowledgeable than me and pay for it.

I will post the pictures of how to install the cameras on the side mirrors and get the cable up to the door panels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GREAT NEWS!!!. I found the way how to do it myself. I'm just half way on the passengers door but I couldn't finish due to work time. As soon as I'm done with both doors I will post all pics and I'll explain how to do it. Just a little bit more waiting time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK, here we go. In order to be able to run the yellow video cable from the door to the inside of the car, you have to cut the cable, run it (the way I will show you with my pics below) and then rejoin them back together once inside the car. The following youtube video explains how to repair an RCA cable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C_RDEAdSco
Pretty much you will be running three small cables (red positive, black ground, thicker black video) with no yellow connector on the video one.

First let's install the camera on the rear view mirror.

Move the mirror with the door control knob all the way up and unhook all the tabs for the outer mirror housing with a flat screw driver or whatever is easier for you.

Step 1.jpg

Step 2.jpg

Yellow arrow below shows where you will have to route the camera cable once installed. You can disconnect those heating connectors after the glass mirror part is completely off its base. Make sure to hold down the jelly covered base thing and pull the connectors off. It seems that it is about to break once you start pulling off the connectors. This is a picture of the left side mirror from the back, and according to it, the black cable heater connector is plugged in to the pin closest to the side of the car and the blue and black cable to the other pin. MAKE SURE YOU DOUBLE AND TRIPLE CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS BEFORE UNPLUGGING THEM. I don't know if there is actually a problem if you install them with the wrong pin. Just in case, take notes of your set up.

Step 3.jpg

There are two of the circled clips. One on the right (circled below) and one on the left.

Step 4.jpg Step 5.jpg Step 6.jpg Step 7.jpg Step 8.jpg Step 9.jpg

Drill the camera hole and run the camera wire through the hole shown in the pic. below. Make sure that the camera position doesn't obstruct the mirror's movement later on once installed.

Step 10.jpg

Continued on next post.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This is how the camera looks once installed.

Step 11.jpg

Make sure to tuck the cable in the metal groove along with the taped cable that was originally in there.

Step 12.jpg Step 13.jpg Step 14.jpg Step 15.jpg Step 16.jpg

Pic. below shows the main tab that holds the triangle plastic piece. This pic. was taken after the cable was already run. That means that this piece I had to take it off in order to unbolt the side view mirror completely. I forgot to take a pic. of it before. There are three bolts. you only see two in pic and the third one is behind the plastic triangle covered with a black rubber.

Step 17 (1).jpg

At this point you need to take the door panel apart. It is very easy. Just three screws and pry it off starting from the inner upper side of the door panel first. Here is a link that has pics: http://www.200forums.com/forum/34-chrysler-200-do-yourself-articles/1066-front-door-removal-change-speakers.html

By now, you should be able to tangle the camera cable around with the other cables so it can look nice and clean in there (I didn't do a good job at it as you can see below :rolleyes: jejeje)

Step 17 (2).jpg

Now, peel off the accordion looking rubber off the connector base.

Step 19 (1).jpg

Pry off the connector base by pressing the tabs with a screw driver. Also, unhook the black long rubber off from two or three green hooks that are attached to the door. It is the long straight rubber showing on the right side of the picture below.

Step 19 (2).jpg

To be continued...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Those are torx bolt T15.

View attachment 18922

Cross the hole wiring through the long rubber piece. Pics. below.

View attachment 18930 View attachment 18938

First, unhook the red tab and then the respective tab for each connector and wiggle it loose. Take your time with the black connector since it was kind of hard for me to get it off.

View attachment 18946 View attachment 18954

Take the black tape off and don't forget to put it back on once your done running the cables.

View attachment 18962

Unclip those two circled side (pic. below)

View attachment 18970

Do the same with the lower plastic part. Make sure you remember how it goes exactly in order to put it back on.

View attachment 18978

Here I had already fished the cables through the accordion rubber. But I need to show you that in order for you to run the three wires inside the accordion rubber you need to first cross the white base connector back behind the long rubber piece and then you fish them.

View attachment 18986

Below I made a mistake and fished the cables without passing the white connector behind the long rubber piece. And as you might have already guessed, I had to take the cables back out and cross the white connector and then fish the wires again.

View attachment 18994

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Below shows how I got the wires through the black accordion rubber with the fishing tape.

Step 32.jpg

To route the wires, use the space closer to the center of the white connector (where it says YES in green color)

Step 33.jpg

Install everything back up as before. Except for the white base connector to the black and the green connectors.

On the passenger side, for you to be able to run the wires to the inside of the car, it will be easier or maybe the only way of grabbing the wires from the inside is by taking off the glove box. Easy cake. Open it up. On both sides (inside of the walls) there are two tabs. You need to pull them inwards with a screw driver. One at a time while you keep pushing the glove box down with your other hand until both come off. Glove box will lower some more but there is still a cable on the right hand side that is holding it up. Push that pin from the inside of the glove box outwards, release the cable and unhook the glove box.

There is like a rubber wall that you need to puncture and make an opening. Then, you get a big size paper clip, straighten it up and bend one of the ends until you make it round and hook one of the three wires at a time to the paper clip's bent part (basically you just created a very thin "fishing tape" to guide the wires). Insert the paper clip through the previously punctured hole from the outside and with the other hand, inside the car, help the paper clip's tip to go completely through the hole with the wire hanging at the other end. Do this for each wire and it will look like the pic below. This pic. was taken through the glove box opening to the right hand side.

Step 35.jpg

On the driver's side you don't need to make a hole. There is no such rubber wall, however; I suggest to use a fishing tape in order to make an easy cable routing. Finally, rejoin the other end of the video cable and plug it to the lockpick device.

I hope this helps.

If anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll explain in the best way possible.

Happy Modding!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are describing what I just done on my GC it is a pain getting the wires through rubber according Boot after getting both ends loose I used a large wire tie and taped one at a time and pulled them with dish detergent for lube. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts