Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know some of you will discourage me from doing this, but im going to do it. i just don't know what plugs to use. sparkplugs.com says that i can use Champion, NGK and Denso. i HATE Champion with a passion, part of why i want to change my plugs. i wanted to run Denso because i have heard all good things and that they are supposed to be some of the best plugs on the market. I have heard alot of good about NGK also, but i have never used them. the Denso plugs are hard to get and will take me a couple weeks to get them. i found a cross reference for the NGK. i work for a Mitsubishi dealership and we keep the NGK plugs in stock. if i went with the NGK, it will cost me about $20 more to run those. if you had the choice, would you pay the extra and go with the NGK?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Only the 2.4L uses standard copper core plugs. The owners manual specifies changing the plugs on the 2.4L every 52K kms, or 32K miles. The V6 spark plugs are iridium, and can last up to 156K kms or 96K miles.

I've had great luck with NGK Vpower plugs. I run them in my Durango R/T. I just changed them after 30K miles and they could have easily gone another 10K miles. I also tow with the Durango regularly.

I switched the OEM plugs in my Triumph T100 to NGK Iridium plugs and it idles much smoother. If I had to replace the plugs in my V6, I'd go with the NGK Iridium. It's not about the added cost, it's about the added smoothness good plugs can bring to an engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, that's my problem. my car has, and is getting worse, started having a vibration/rough idle. my gas mileage has plummeted also. i have done a carbon clean on it and injection cleaner, non has helped. im thinking a plug has gone bad. the power has dropped off also, and you can feel that. as i said, i hate Champion plugs, and that is what the 3.6 comes with factory. it's looking like i will have to go with the NGK.

·
Registered
306 Posts
well, that's my problem. my car has, and is getting worse, started having a vibration/rough idle. my gas mileage has plummeted also. i have done a carbon clean on it and injection cleaner, non has helped. im thinking a plug has gone bad. the power has dropped off also, and you can feel that. as i said, i hate Champion plugs, and that is what the 3.6 comes with factory. it's looking like i will have to go with the NGK.
I've never had issues with Champion plugs. NGK plugs are easier to get. I do run Champions in all my small engines. The main thing is making sure the plugs are gapped properly before installation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Biggest thing with Chrysler vehicles is they really don't have very good luck using anything other than what comes in them from the factory. I know this isn't always true, and I can already see a couple posts from people who think they know what they are talking about in the near future, but more times than not, Chrysler engines usually run best on Champion plugs. A couple of the engines use NGK's which seem to be pretty good. No different than how GM products usually run best on AC Delco. I HIGHLY advise against the use of Bosch and Autolite. I see MANY vehicles come into our dealer with these plugs in them because someone didn't want to pay us to do their tune up and they used Bosch or Autolite and now the vehicle misses and idles rough and whatnot. You should be fine with NGK. I have 20k on my 2012 and I thought about switching them out around 30,000 miles just for the **** of it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have never had good luck with Champion. i had a Mitsubishi eclipse with the non turbo chrysler 2.0 DOHC in it. i put bosch in it and it ran perfect. put the factory recommended champion, and it ran like total crap. i should be receiving the Denso plugs today that i ordered. can't wait to get them in and see how they do. i will post pics of the plugs when they get here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2015 200 limited 2.4 eb8 engine code put denso tt iridium code 1064 put autolight iridium code p304

Finally put in champion copper core run the best and no codes or mil light @ $9.32 I will change them out ever 32k just runs like new oh Btw car Has126k on it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My OEM champion plugs went 7yrs and 100,000 miles. Nothing wrong with that. I replaced them with NGK Laser Iridium SILZKR7B11 9723. Honestly, I don't think it makes a hill a beans what spark plug you use.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
421 Posts
Copper plugs are rated for 32K miles (52K km). Platinum and Iridiums are rated for 100K miles (160K km).
Copper does have burn characteristic advantages, despite its shorter rated life. Copper is a good conductor of heat and electricity, but is a softer metal.
There are no 'Miracle' spark plugs (instant starting, more horsepower and better fuel economy claims).
A lot of engineering and laboratory time and resources are spent by manufacturers in selecting the best spark plug for your particular 'burn' application.
Many drag racing and aviation engines still use copper spark plugs.
'Wrong' plugs can cause stumble and misfire. Always select the recommended OEM plug for best results.
A lot of people are highly opinionated and hold strong beliefs about the 'best' spark plugs, like they are for 'best' motor oils, etc.
Just go with what your owners manual recommends and you should be good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I get it at the end of the day as long as I do not get a mil light and the car runs right then having to change out plugs every 32k I can live with it.
On a the 2.4 it takes 30 mins to do
Just make sure the motor is cold.
@2.27 per plug who cares .
The rest of it is all market hype.
Thanks for your comments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts