Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 200c, 63,000 miles. Getting an intermittent squealing sound from front end, no rhyme or reason. Happens while moving, stopped, idling, brakes, in park. Doesn't seem related to steering left or right. Temperature is normal, air conditioning works fine (and I didn't hear the noise when I started and stopped the air). Any ideas? Early warning that water pump is going? No leaks though. Or bearings starting to go in a pulley?

·
Super Moderator
1,763 Posts
2015 200c, 63,000 miles. Getting an intermittent squealing sound from front end, no rhyme or reason. Happens while moving, stopped, idling, brakes, in park. Doesn't seem related to steering left or right. Temperature is normal, air conditioning works fine (and I didn't hear the noise when I started and stopped the air). Any ideas? Early warning that water pump is going? No leaks though. Or bearings starting to go in a pulley?
You didn't mention which engine you have.
Since you said the issue happens when stopped ( in park ) then I suspect it's an idler pulley for the serpentine belt. Both would need to be replaced if that is the problem.
The water pump is covered under Chrysler's 5 year, 100K mile powertrain warranty, but I doubt that is the problem.
The pulley is a covered item, NOT the belt.

·
Registered
137 Posts
my idler pulley was changed last year, it didn't make a squealing sound but rather a growling sound when giving some gas.

i'll check the serpentine or any other belt if it's the 4cyl.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, yes, the 4 cyl. Revving engine does not affect sound. It doesn't sound like a belt to me but I'll check they're tight. If I had to pick, I'd say driver side. (It's very intermittent, for now anyway)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a squealing sound that generally only occurred really cold mornings. I took it in and they couldn't replicate the squealing sound because it only occurred first thing on cold mornings. The second time I took it in I also was able to tell them that I was smelling coolant and they ran a pressure that identified a coolant leak underneath the overflow. They said that overnight the coolant would leak on to the belts and that's why my car would squeal initially in the morning. As long as you have coolant the temperature of the car won't increase, but you could be dealing with a coolant leak or some sort of leak.

After they "repaired" the coolant leak I barely made it home, a 15 minute drive before could see that something was more wrong than when I took the car in. The temperature was normal but I could see steam coming from underneath the hood. Long story short, a correct diagnosis and failed initial attempt to properly address the coolant leak. Since my overflow tank was just below the maximum line, I figured I could make it back to the dealership the next morning. I made it back to the dealership the next morning with no coolant left in my overflow tank and no indications that the engine was operating above the normal temperature range. So I can only assume that there was enough coolant left to help keep the engine temperature from increasing outside of the normal operating range.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The overflow tank is only 'full' ( at the 'hot' line) when the engine is hot. When you let it sit overnight, the radiator sucks the coolant back in as it cools. That is why there is a Cold line and a Hot line on the tank.

It is more important that the coolant level in that tank is 'full' at the cold line, in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
2,411 Posts
If revving doesn't affect the sound - then it's not the water pump or anything that the serpentine belt drives.

I am replacing my serpentine belt and pulley soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts