Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had issues with their 200 sporadically not starting properly? The several times it happened to me, it almost sounds like the engine is not getting gas. It tries to start and after several attemps, finally fires but for the first 10 - 15 second after it fires, it has a really bad tapping noise.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem Nettrekker, but I can't say that I've noticed a problme with mine starting at all.

I'm no mechanic, but perhaps its the fuel pump? Or maybe even the type of gas that you are using?

I know that we can use the low octane gas, but there is low octane from a reputable gas company and then there is low octane sold out of drum in a back lot somewhere?

We have half a dozen big name brand gas stations in Canada that I will go to, but I avoid the lesser known ones for the problems that you are experiencing......of course I'm not saying that's what your problem is, just offering a suggestions.

·
Registered
202 Posts
since these new cars are all computerized maybe it could be the air/fuel mixture the computer is allowing in the engine isn't sufficient enough.

Do you have any lights on your dash?

Try using a higher octane fuel, maybe it will help give your engine that extra kick it needs.

I hope your having luck with the issue, keep us updated

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds like H20 in the gas tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A buddy of mine at the dealer told me he found a TSB on long crank time while he was looking to see if there was anything on the transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine Starting issues

Has anyone else had issues with their 200 sporadically not starting properly? The several times it happened to me, it almost sounds like the engine is not getting gas. It tries to start and after several attempt, finally fires but for the first 10 - 15 second after it fires, it has a really bad tapping noise.
I'm having similar issues with my 200. When I start the car it sputters to try and start and then begins to run smoothly. It's as if I turn the key and don't know when to let go of the key because I'm unsure if it's going to start, but once it has started it sputters as if it might die out. I scheduled an appointment with Chrysler but seeing how it doesn't happen on every occasion it would be hard to pinpoint. So they have asked me to notate when it happens so we can see if there is any consistency if it's from a cold start or after sitting for an hour, etc. I am unhappy with the issue for a brand new car and hope the problem can be fixed. I'll keep the forum up to date if and when anything happens.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I'm having similar issues with my 200. When I start the car it sputters to try and start and then begins to run smoothly. It's as if I turn the key and don't know when to let go of the key because I'm unsure if it's going to start, but once it has started it sputters as if it might die out. I scheduled an appointment with Chrysler but seeing how it doesn't happen on every occasion it would be hard to pinpoint. So they have asked me to notate when it happens so we can see if there is any consistency if it's from a cold start or after sitting for an hour, etc. I am unhappy with the issue for a brand new car and hope the problem can be fixed. I'll keep the forum up to date if and when anything happens.
Is it possible that you just used crappy gas, or has it always been like this?

I would say that since you are going through the trouble to track this that you track the gas that you use as well.

It would appear that a lot of us are running Shell regular gas, and are not having a problem at all. Not saying that this will fix your problem, but it could give the tech guys one less thing to look at.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The is a TSB for this condition TSB 18-006-11 REV. A
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience any of the following:
MIL Illumination
The Technician may discover that P0128 - Thermostat Rationality DTC
Long Crank Times
Long crank times could be experienced when the coolant temperature is less than 131° F
(55° C) and the engine has been shut off for 7 minutes or less.
Updating the PCM software will correct the conditions listed above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had both TSB updates done and neither fixed the problem in fact this morning my car failed to start the first time I hit the ignition button. My car is garage kept in an insulated garage and I have had this issue in both summer and now winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is TSB?
My car just started doing this the past month. I've had it since last April and now that it is cold it has a problem starting in the morning when the car has been sitting overnight. Seems to me it has something to due with the mixture of gas. I hit the remote starter and then go out to the garage and notice the car is not running and I can smell an order of "rich" gas. I would hope a mechanic at a dealership can fix this problem within a half hour or sooner. If it is just a computer problem.

·
Registered
875 Posts
What is TSB?
My car just started doing this the past month. I've had it since last April and now that it is cold it has a problem starting in the morning when the car has been sitting overnight. Seems to me it has something to due with the mixture of gas. I hit the remote starter and then go out to the garage and notice the car is not running and I can smell an order of "rich" gas. I would hope a mechanic at a dealership can fix this problem within a half hour or sooner. If it is just a computer problem.
Are you running E85? I know I have starting issues running E85 in the winter months. I usually stop running it in the winter for that reason. IF I have a tank of E85 and I have issues starting, I hold the pedal down 1/2 way when starting. The extra air helps it turn over right away.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi Cdunm. TSB means technical service bulletin. What year is your 200? I can provide you with some details of any relevant TSB to hopefully ensure a speedy resolution at the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Cdunm. TSB means technical service bulletin. What year is your 200? I can provide you with some details of any relevant TSB to hopefully ensure a speedy resolution at the dealership.
I have the 2015 200 S with the V6 engine. So last night I left my car in the driveway and did not pull it into the garage. This morning I did not have a starting problem. It started right up with the remote starter. I'm no engineer so I'm wondering if for some stupid reason it is just the lack of air in the garage that makes it sputter and turn over for 10 seconds before it starts and sputters and then after 2 seconds it runs fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you running E85? I know I have starting issues running E85 in the winter months. I usually stop running it in the winter for that reason. IF I have a tank of E85 and I have issues starting, I hold the pedal down 1/2 way when starting. The extra air helps it turn over right away.
I'm using regular gas. Never used the E85 in this car.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have the 2015 200 S with the V6 engine. So last night I left my car in the driveway and did not pull it into the garage. This morning I did not have a starting problem. It started right up with the remote starter. I'm no engineer so I'm wondering if for some stupid reason it is just the lack of air in the garage that makes it sputter and turn over for 10 seconds before it starts and sputters and then after 2 seconds it runs fine.
Hi Cdunm,

I did find a TSB that might resolve this concern. Please see below:

TSB NUMBER: 18-059-15 REV. A
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: November 13, 2015

SUBJECT: Flash: 3.6L Diagnostic And System Improvements

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS: 2015 (UF) Chrysler 200

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales code ERB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The following powertrain system improvements/enhancements are included in this software release:
· **P0480 Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit/open.
· P0456 EVAP System Small Leak.
· U0402 Implausible Data Received From TCM.**
· P0441 EVAP Purge System Performance.
· P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Performance.
· New software to address customer’s concern of extended crank times when starting engine.
· Software to enable the clearing of erroneous DTC U0140 Loss of communication with the Body Control Module (BCM).
· New software to enable the “Transmission Quick Learn” feature.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife has a 2015 200 S AWD 3.6L and hers does the same thing in the winter. Basically, when it's kept in our insulated garage overnight, it has a hard time starting in the morning. It cranks for 5-10 long seconds before it starts. When it finally starts, it runs rough for a few seconds and spews out a lot of exhaust gasses from the tailpipe. It only does it in the winter too. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has a 2015 200 S AWD 3.6L and hers does the same thing in the winter. Basically, when it's kept in our insulated garage overnight, it has a hard time starting in the morning. It cranks for 5-10 long seconds before it starts. When it finally starts, it runs rough for a few seconds and spews out a lot of exhaust gasses from the tailpipe. It only does it in the winter too. Anybody have any suggestions?
I worry about something like this with the MultiAir system controlling the valves. If I understood the system right, they use oil pressure for actuation. I'm not reassured when I read things in the blogs about problem cars.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Has the PCM software already been updated?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts