21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine just did this the other day. First time in 23000 miles. Been fine since

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this problem with my 2012 200, 2.4, for over a year now. Sometimes it starts fine, sometimes it just has an extended crank, sometimes it has the rich gas smell, and sometimes it has a couple of seconds of a rough ital before it smooths out. The car is always out side, and it doesn't discriminate against seasons, grade of gas, or where the gas comes from. I have taken it to my Chrysler deal, it did the extended crank for them, they ran a test ( I think it was some kind of fuel system test/ something to do with the injectors, it was a year ago now I would have to look it up) they said everything was fine. They also did a computer update at the time. I was told they didn't know what was wrong with it, but maybe try a injector cleaner and run higher octane gas. I ran mid-grade for 2 months straight and put a bottle of Lucas cleaner in it, no change. I have not taken it back the dealer, I have had/ do have so many problems with this car that I have given up hope on it. I am happy to see that I am not the only person that has had this problem, but yet concerned that there seems to be no clear solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes mine has a really long crank time. I have had multiple people look at it and no one can figure out what is wrong with it. Its frustrating!! We contacted Chrysler and they can't figure it out either....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had this car for a week... kinda worried!

I too have this issue. I own a 2015 200c with 23 000km and when the temperature is around freezing the car has a difficult time starting. There is plenty of battery power to crank the engine but it just wont start. It does sound like it is starving for fuel. It is currently at the dealership to be looked at so hopefully they will know about the TSB or be able to come up with some kind of solution, has anyone been able to successfully resolve this issue yet?

Also what do they mean by: new software to address customer's concerns? Do they mean the software will fix it or just bamboozle the customer instead?
SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The following powertrain system improvements/enhancements are included in this software release:
· **P0480 Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit/open.
· P0456 EVAP System Small Leak.
· U0402 Implausible Data Received From TCM.**
· P0441 EVAP Purge System Performance.
· P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Performance.
· New software to address customer’s concern of extended crank times when starting engine.
· Software to enable the clearing of erroneous DTC U0140 Loss of communication with the Body Control Module (BCM).
· New software to enable the “Transmission Quick Learn” feature.

·
Super Moderator
2,573 Posts
What is TSB?
My car just started doing this the past month. I've had it since last April and now that it is cold it has a problem starting in the morning when the car has been sitting overnight. Seems to me it has something to due with the mixture of gas. I hit the remote starter and then go out to the garage and notice the car is not running and I can smell an order of "rich" gas. I would hope a mechanic at a dealership can fix this problem within a half hour or sooner. If it is just a computer problem.
TSB = Technical Service Bulliten

·
Registered
188 Posts
I too have this issue. I own a 2015 200c with 23 000km and when the temperature is around freezing the car has a difficult time starting. There is plenty of battery power to crank the engine but it just wont start. It does sound like it is starving for fuel. It is currently at the dealership to be looked at so hopefully they will know about the TSB or be able to come up with some kind of solution, has anyone been able to successfully resolve this issue yet?

Also what do they mean by: new software to address customer's concerns? Do they mean the software will fix it or just bamboozle the customer instead?
Hi Devries89,

There is a technical service bulletin for a software update for the Chrysler 200 with a 3.6L engine that addresses the fault codes you noted above. In addition, the software enhancements also address your concern of extended crank times when starting the engine. The bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertain Control Module (PCM) with the latest available software.

I hope this information helps!

Thank you,

Kathleen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chrysler 200 Form
January 31, 2018

I have had a problem with my Chrysler 200 C which started recently and only occasionally after sitting overnight in the garage. The engine will crank and not catch for a minute or so. There is a strong smell of gas on start after cranking for a minute. Car has 55,000 KM on it.
I went on the Chrysler Form and found the suggestions below.
A TSB for this condition TSB 18-006-11 REV. A
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience any of the following:
MIL Illumination
The Technician may discover that P0128 - Thermostat Rationality DTC
Long Crank Times
Long crank times could be experienced when the coolant temperature is less than 131° F
(55° C) and the engine has been shut off for 7 minutes or less.
Updating the PCM software will correct the conditions listed above.
TSB NUMBER: 18-059-15 REV. A
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: November 13, 2015

SUBJECT: Flash: 3.6L Diagnostic And System Improvements

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS: 2015 (UF) Chrysler 200

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales code ERB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The following powertrain system improvements/enhancements are included in this software release:
· **P0480 Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit/open.
· P0456 EVAP System Small Leak.
· U0402 Implausible Data Received From TCM.**
· P0441 EVAP Purge System Performance.
· P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Performance.
· New software to address customer’s concern of extended crank times when starting engine.
· Software to enable the clearing of erroneous DTC U0140 Loss of communication with the Body Control Module (BCM).
· New software to enable the “Transmission Quick Learn” feature.

I went to the Chrysler dealership in Collingwood Ontario and they opted to do a $125 Diagnostic test. Then they performed a PCM Flash Update.
If the PCM update corrects my problem I am happy. However, and it’s a big however why on earth would Chrysler Canada not let us know that updates are recommended and give us, the Chrysler 200 owners the option to have it done. I spoke to the Service Advisor and told her of my concerns.
Chrysler has all of our email addresses and a simple press of a computer key would send out a global email to recommend the update. It would be great Customer service.
I enjoy the 200 C and will still purchase another Chrysler in the future but there is always room for improvement.
I will send a copy of this letter to Chrysler Canada Customer Service and to the owner of Collingwood Chrysler.
Clark Wilson

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2012 convertible is sporadically not starting. It seems like the battery is dead and then I see a light flash on the USB drive Outlet and a minute later I can actually start the car. The stored codes when dealer reads it are all over the place. Cannot recreate the situation. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey.

I don't know very much about cars however I was having the same problem with my 2015 Chrysler 200s in the morning. It would have problems turning over and I would smell a lot of gas. I switched to a higher-octane gas and the problem stopped. I live in Canada, so they rate gas Bronze, Silver, Gold, so I went from Bronze (around 87 octane) to Silver (around 89 Octane) and the problem stopped. In fact, a couple months back I went to a full serve and they put in Bronze (I forgot to tell them silver) and the next morning it had the same problem starting.

Hope this helps.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts