Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

This is a simple question I should be able to find the answer to online, yet I tried all day and got nothing but conflicting results.

I'm putting in a new head unit to replace the OEM one, and trying to figure out which of the wires on the harness are the number 1 and number 2 steering wheel control key wires are.

It's a 2012 convertible. I have found posts on some audio forms that are in direct conflict. Also, another claims one of the wires which is clearly not for that.

frustration mounting

Anyone have any idea which ones they might be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are no steering wheel control wires in the harness. All of the steering wheel controls come through the can-bus that is in the harness. The radio decodes the can-bus signals to control the radio fuctions. There are adaptors available that will plug into the OEM radio harness, decode the steering wheel controls and provide the various functions for the new head unit.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
565 Posts
There are adapters and interface modules for aftermarket radio installations.
The steering wheel controls are multiplexed and sent from the LIN bus in the SCM to the CAN bus to the radio. An example:
Because of this formidable complication, I have always used factory replacement radios.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, is the CAN bus also connected through the grey clip-on plug? I bought an adapter that supposedly is can do this, but it doens't have a plug on it. It has wires that are supposed to be spliced into the correct bus wires. I just can't figure out which ones

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do not splice into the can-bus. This is a data bus just like a network cable used by computers. Splicing will affect the integrity of the data for the entire car not just the radio. To maintain the integrity of the can-bus it should be plug-in only and plug into the radio harness. I suggest getting a different adaptor as noted above.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
565 Posts
What brand and model adapter? Did it come with hook-up instructions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay well I had to buy a bus emulator, a harness and a command encoder from Stinger. But.... it worked. Didn't need to splice.

I have another question though. Does anyone know which cables are for the microphone and if it would be possible to tap into those and connect them to a standard audio connector so I could use the integrated microphone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi -

This is a simple question I should be able to find the answer to online, yet I tried all day and got nothing but conflicting results.

I'm putting in a new head unit to replace the OEM one, and trying to figure out which of the wires on the harness are the number 1 and number 2 steering wheel control key wires are.

It's a 2012 convertible. I have found posts on some audio forms that are in direct conflict. Also, another claims one of the wires which is clearly not for that.

frustration mounting

Anyone have any idea which ones they might be?
Also, unless you really want to have it, it isn’t mandatory that you install it either. You can use the stereo itself manually. Totally your choice but it won’t cause the stereo to not work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts