Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer Diagnosis ?

I have a 2012 Chrysler 200 Limited with a V6 with 16,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer because intermittently it will have heat on the driver's side but cold air coming out on the passenger side. It gets worse when the car is moving. My thought was there may be a blend door or something that sometimes does not close. They are saying it is an oil leak from the external oil cooler allowing antifreeze to get into the coolant and clogging the heater core. Wouldn't it be cold on both sides all of the time if the heater core or controls were clogged ? I have not seen a change in either the level or appearance of the oil or coolant. They ordered the part today and are supposed to install it tomorrow and flush the cooling system. Is this going to fix it or will I be back again ? It is a lot of parts to undo if the oil cooler is not the problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
"They are saying it is an oil leak from the external oil cooler allowing antifreeze to get into the coolant and clogging the heater core." This has me confused,anti-freeze & coolant are the same thing.If the external oil cooler was leaking,it has nothing to do with the cooling system.Your diagnose about blend door problem makes more sense then the dealer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That is really strange that your getting hot air out off one side, since the 200 is a single zone. All tho I have seen that you could get a few degrees difference from side to side if the refrigerant is low.

On dual zone climate systems the acceptable difference between side to side is 12 degrees max.

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil Cooler ?

The dealer thinks a leak in the external oil cooler on our 200 V6 engine is letting oil mix in with the antifreeze and that is the reason we sometimes don't get heat on just the passenger side of the car. If oil has stopped up the heater core or heater control valves, wouldn't it do it all of the time and keep heat from getting to both the driver and passenger sides ? It is much worse when the car is moving so that is why I am thinking a blend door or something else is not closing. I have seen no change at all in the look or levels of the oil or antifreeze.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Your dealer is smokin' some really good stuff! I'd say your diagnosis is the correct one. I'd also find another dealer.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have you tried turning the temperture all the way up, different blower position modes with the recycle air on with no AC?......Did the dealer check for vaccum leaks in the system? Do you have automatic climate control, if so the electronics might be defective. You would show a lot of oil in the anti freeze to cause what you describe. Is your car running hot, higher than normal?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does have the automatic climate control. When it blows cold air on just the passenger side, we have redirected the air to all the different outlets and moved the temperature setting from high to low and it only makes it change on the driver's side. The temperature guage reading has never changed and the Dexcool in the tank looks as orange as the day we got it. The fact that it does not do it all the time and the cold air on the passenger side get worse when you start to move is what makes me think it is a door not closing and not the heater core or control valve clogged with oil which would make it cold all of the time, wouldn't it ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer replace the external oil cooler thinking that it was leaking oil into the antifreeze and clogging the heater core. I had heat fine on the driver's side, cold on the passenger side. Taking it back today. Still no heat on the passenger side and now the check engine light is on. Not going like I would like it to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dealer replaced the external oil cooler thinking a leak was letting oil into the antifreeze and stopping up the heater core. The heat is fine on the driver's side, cold on the passenger side. Taking it back, still no heat plus now the check engine light is on. Not happy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The climate control system is electronic. Did your dealer check it out? You could have a bad module. As you know, if you have a warp somewhere in the chamber or a door they will stick. Engine light on maybe low freeze. Did the dealer burp the system correctly? I would see another dealer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Did some online searching....

1 Stuck Blender door
2 Defective electrical door activator
3 Needs recalibration

Seems to be a common problem and I think another dealer should be used. I can't understand why the dealer would just give you back the car knowing they didn't fx it?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Over @ the Charger forums,I read about the same problems all the time.It sounds like they need to recalibrate the blend doors,as far as CEL,it could be something they did.Let us know the outcome,Good Luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, a new heater core fixed the problem. I talked to a tech from Chrysler and the dealer was right. In addition to my heater core getting contaminated with oil, the tech said they have had some issues with bad coolant stopping them up as well. I have seen a few post on here about coolant thickening up. New oil cooler and heater core for mine so hopefully after one more trip to replace the dash panel that was torn up, I will be back on the road for a while. Thanks to all for your posts and help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 Chrysler 200 Limited with a V6 with 16,000 miles on it. I also have no heat on the driver's side and cold air coming out on the passenger side. And I noticed that it gets worse/colder when the car is moving. I will take it into the dealer on Friday. Hopefully it will not be a big problem.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well, a new heater core fixed the problem. I talked to a tech from Chrysler and the dealer was right. In addition to my heater core getting contaminated with oil, the tech said they have had some issues with bad coolant stopping them up as well. I have seen a few post on here about coolant thickening up. New oil cooler and heater core for mine
Green coolant MUST NOT BE MIXED with the orange or magenta coolants. When replacing coolant the complete system flush must be performed before using the replacement coolant.

Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Doing so may result in premature failure of heating / cooling system components. If non-HOAT coolant is introduced into the cooling system in an emergency, it should be replaced with the specified coolant as soon as possible.

The cooling system is designed around the coolant. The coolant must accept heat from engine metal, in the cylinder head area near the exhaust valves and engine block. Then coolant carries the heat to the radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the heat to the air.

The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent ethylene glycol based coolant with hybrid organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts