Chrysler 200 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Chrysler changed the coolant spec starting in 2013. You cannot intermix Chrysler brand coolant between the two varieties. I have seen a picture where the coolant gelled to the consistency of toothpaste after intermixing. Here is a link to a Chrysler parts department document. The article about the coolant is on page 4.

http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsletters/newsletter_Oct_2012.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed the exact same issue with my 2012 Chrysler 200S at 38K miles. The service manager told me it's more than likely the heater core. They know about the problem, but they aren't recalling the cars. And, of course, they are now out of warranty as this is not a powertrain issue. But the service manager stated Chrysler may provide "assistance." My car is going in on Saturday for diagnosis. The diagnosis is I no longer have heat.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I saw some Pentastar heater core problems on the Jeep forums. The heater core accumulated a bunch of sand, apparently from the motor manufacturing process. I don't know if it also happens to 200's. This is just an internet guess and you shouldn't take it as gospel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealer Diagnosis ?

I have a 2012 Chrysler 200 Limited with a V6 with 16,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer because intermittently it will have heat on the driver's side but cold air coming out on the passenger side. It gets worse when the car is moving. My thought was there may be a blend door or something that sometimes does not close. They are saying it is an oil leak from the external oil cooler allowing antifreeze to get into the coolant and clogging the heater core. Wouldn't it be cold on both sides all of the time if the heater core or controls were clogged ? I have not seen a change in either the level or appearance of the oil or coolant. They ordered the part today and are supposed to install it tomorrow and flush the cooling system. Is this going to fix it or will I be back again ? It is a lot of parts to undo if the oil cooler is not the problem.
If oil cooler defective, you would notice oil film in de-gas bottle. Oil floats to top. Check de-gas bottle after cooled down for oily or milky substance on surface.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts