Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 200 Limited 3.6L V6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I signal to turn right my wipers will turn on. Usually, the wipers go for one or two cycles but sometimes they stay on until I signal a left turn. This is very annoying at times. I assume it is a wiring problem. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a diy fix?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,074 Posts
i have seen worn, defective multifunction switches cause this on other cars/minivans.
Remove the column shrouds to visually inspect the switches while actuating the turn signals. Look for slop and looseness.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 200 Limited 3.6L V6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[Solved] I finally found the time to troubleshoot my multifunction switches on the steering column. The hard part was determining what type of screw was holding the column shrouds. It turns out there are two Torx T20 screws in the front underside and one Torx T20 screw at the rear underside. With a long screwdriver extension, I removed the two front screws and this released the upper shroud cover.

From the top, I could see that the connector clips seemed to be connected ok. There was no looseness. However, I noticed that two of the wires connecting the two multifunction switches (on top of the column) were partly out of the channel they were supposed to sit in. I punched them back into position and all seems well now. Apparently, moving the turn signal stressed the over the top wiring harness, moved the wiper connector, and activated the wipers.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My 2012 will very occasionally activate the wipers when signaling a right turn. It soon reverts to normal operation. Only happens a couple of times a year. Hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes our 2012 also does this every once in a while. I did open the cowling as discussed above and did not find any loose connections. I guess if it gets worse I will replace the switch; does not like look like a big job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts