Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New to this site and I looked to see if I could find any posts with my specific issue. I didn't see one but if I missed it, I apologize for the duplicate and just point me in the right direction! Thanks!
On June 29 I got into my 2013 Chrysler 200, six speed to run into town. I left my driveway and instantly noticed my car was not shifting out of first, turned around took it back home, left it running and asked my husband to try it. He took it around the block and also said it wasn't shifting, he even tried the manual shift but it would not come out of first. The engine light never came on. Got back to the house and turned it off, went inside to look it up on the internet and saw ONE POST that this happened to someone and when they started it again it ran fine. Went back out and started it and sure enough, it was shifting correctly. It ran fine on the 30th but I called and made an appt to have it looked at anyway the next day. Got up on July 1st and pulled out of the garage, heard an awful clunk and sure enough, the car was again stuck in first. I limped it through town to the dealer, left it running and told them DO NOT turn it off before driving it. They drove it and they experienced first hand that it wasn't shifting. They replaced the transmission pan and valve body and performed quick learn and reef lash PCM to latest software per tab 18-22-14. Yesterday, July 22, I went to leave work and when I put my car in drive it surged forward twice and made another horrible clunk, and sure enough it would not shift! This time I was too far to limp to a dealer so I called Chrysler road side assistance and as I expected, you can't leave the car running while being towed. So low and behold today when they did a test drive I get the call saying there is nothing wrong with your car, we can't duplicate the problem and there are no codes coming up (engine light never came on this time either). They went so far as to say "are you sure you didn't have it in manual"? Well, I am not dumb. I had put the car in park twice and then in drive to show my coworker the surge, and both times tried to drive and both times, while in drive mind you, it would not shift. I was not able to make it to pick up my car before the dealer closed tonight and I begged them to take it for a drive again tomorrow to see if it does the same thing as last time- not work one day, work the next, and not work the next, they said they would. I am really frustrated because I KNOW something is wrong but they keep saying it is fine. I also noticed after they "fixed" it on July 1st the fluctuation of gear shift while in cruise was horrible when on even a slight incline. There is something really wrong and I am terrified to drive too far from home in fear this will happen every time I take my car out! Any suggestions? This is my second 200, I sold my 2011 to my daughter when I bought the 2013, and my sister has a 2012- no problems with either one of those, and I loved my 2011 just wanted more bells and whistles- not headaches!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice on what to do from here!

·
Registered
158 Posts
From Ive seen the last few years on Chrysler Transmissions,the most failure have been Speed sensors,and valve body.Since they already replaced the valve body,I would suggest they change the speed sensors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My car has only once not shifted in automatic mode and switching it to manual didnt help. I turned it off and it worked fine. I never had the problem again.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Kelly,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing. After some research, I do not see any service bulletins or STAR cases that address the concerns you have described. I would suggest that you contact the Customer Assistance Center at 800-992-1997 and have these concerns documented. If the problems are duplicated they can work with your dealer and Tech Support to get these issues resolved.

Hope this is resolved for you very soon!

·
Registered
322 Posts
hi kelly,

i'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing. After some research, i do not see any service bulletins or star cases that address the concerns you have described. I would suggest that you contact the customer assistance center at 800-992-1997 and have these concerns documented. If the problems are duplicated they can work with your dealer and tech support to get these issues resolved.

What he's really trying to say is "we haven't heard of this issue before and we cannot duplicate the problem." If you own a Chrysler product get used to it as this is the company mantra!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Kelly,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing. After some research, I do not see any service bulletins or STAR cases that address the concerns you have described. I would suggest that you contact the Customer Assistance Center at 800-992-1997 and have these concerns documented. If the problems are duplicated they can work with your dealer and Tech Support to get these issues resolved.

What is a "STAR" case? Ive never heard that acrynom used in a manufacturing setting, its always a "SCAR" case. (which I currently have a scar case opened with Chrysler because of my transmission)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I joined this forum for this very reason. I have a 2015 200S and four times now it has refused to shift out of first. It goes into the dealer for the second time tomorrow. I wanted to see if this is a problem others have had.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What he's really trying to say is "we haven't heard of this issue before and we cannot duplicate the problem." If you own a Chrysler product get used to it as this is the company mantra!
No truer statment made chrysler cares does nor care I learned that with my issue. I hope they figure it out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I guess that I am pretty lucky that my 2015 was one of those that went to that big white room at SHAP for Final inspection and no faults were found
Haha good, that reminds me of the one time I had a rental Avenger (with 1000km) and the CEL came on.

I then found a similar slip to yours in the glove compartment saying EVAP Sytem: FAIL.

Whoops.... May or may not have been related but really didn't seem like a good thing to leave in the car when it was shipped out. :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same issue, exactly as described here. I called the customer Service Line to have it documented, and have an appointment at the dealer to have it looked at. I will follow up with results. I would love to hear more from others who might be experiencing the same issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These threads suck. Who the heck can follow them with any real discussion?? I don't know who is responding to which comment. Need a user manual?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read somewhere the transmission won't let you go past 2nd for a certain reason it detects some specifically then allows you to limp to the dealer. Of course I forgot where I read this so I'm not much help. The funny thing is when I read it, it seemed like a dumb feature for a dumb reason I can't believe I forgot where it was might want to do some researching.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! New to this site and I looked to see if I could find any posts with my specific issue. I didn't see one but if I missed it, I apologize for the duplicate and just point me in the right direction! Thanks!
On June 29 I got into my 2013 Chrysler 200, six speed to run into town. I left my driveway and instantly noticed my car was not shifting out of first, turned around took it back home, left it running and asked my husband to try it. He took it around the block and also said it wasn't shifting, he even tried the manual shift but it would not come out of first. The engine light never came on. Got back to the house and turned it off, went inside to look it up on the internet and saw ONE POST that this happened to someone and when they started it again it ran fine. Went back out and started it and sure enough, it was shifting correctly. It ran fine on the 30th but I called and made an appt to have it looked at anyway the next day. Got up on July 1st and pulled out of the garage, heard an awful clunk and sure enough, the car was again stuck in first. I limped it through town to the dealer, left it running and told them DO NOT turn it off before driving it. They drove it and they experienced first hand that it wasn't shifting. They replaced the transmission pan and valve body and performed quick learn and reef lash PCM to latest software per tab 18-22-14. Yesterday, July 22, I went to leave work and when I put my car in drive it surged forward twice and made another horrible clunk, and sure enough it would not shift! This time I was too far to limp to a dealer so I called Chrysler road side assistance and as I expected, you can't leave the car running while being towed. So low and behold today when they did a test drive I get the call saying there is nothing wrong with your car, we can't duplicate the problem and there are no codes coming up (engine light never came on this time either). They went so far as to say "are you sure you didn't have it in manual"? Well, I am not dumb. I had put the car in park twice and then in drive to show my coworker the surge, and both times tried to drive and both times, while in drive mind you, it would not shift. I was not able to make it to pick up my car before the dealer closed tonight and I begged them to take it for a drive again tomorrow to see if it does the same thing as last time- not work one day, work the next, and not work the next, they said they would. I am really frustrated because I KNOW something is wrong but they keep saying it is fine. I also noticed after they "fixed" it on July 1st the fluctuation of gear shift while in cruise was horrible when on even a slight incline. There is something really wrong and I am terrified to drive too far from home in fear this will happen every time I take my car out! Any suggestions? This is my second 200, I sold my 2011 to my daughter when I bought the 2013, and my sister has a 2012- no problems with either one of those, and I loved my 2011 just wanted more bells and whistles- not headaches!

Hi, I am currently having the same exact problem! My car one day just decided one day that it wasnt gonna shift out of first gear anymore. This happened to me a few months ago after I left work, after letting it sit on side of the road for about 15 minutes it started back up and drove fine. Now, it has been 3 days and is still not shifting out. I took it to dealership and they said I need a new valve body. Idk...this car has had nothing but problems...at 87,451 miles on it....

·
Super Moderator
2,083 Posts
Hi, I am currently having the same exact problem! My car one day just decided one day that it wasnt gonna shift out of first gear anymore. This happened to me a few months ago after I left work, after letting it sit on side of the road for about 15 minutes it started back up and drove fine. Now, it has been 3 days and is still not shifting out. I took it to dealership and they said I need a new valve body. Idk...this car has had nothing but problems...at 87,451 miles on it....
Sorry to hear of anyone's car problems. However Savannah, you quoted a post from a one time user of this forum, and that person posted back in 2014, 5 years ago. That person never replied back to the forum on the outcome either. Transmission issues are difficult and the most troubling due to the cost and time to repiar. Sorry I can't offer anything other then a dealer needs to repair the problem. Hopefully it's a warranty item for you and won't cost to much.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You could see if the car has any trouble codes. There is a procedure you can do with the ignition key. Here is how...

You could also do this with a code scanner device (they are cheap). Then look up the code with google. There are 3 sensors for the transmission that monitor the speeds of the shafts inside and you're hoping you get a code related to one of those sensors because they're easy to replace. You'd think the dealer checked but you might get lucky.

·
Registered
3 Posts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts