Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Past three weeks I have noticed my engine running rougher and rougher at idle. Today it is getting scary running as rough as it is, especially when it is cold. No engine light, called dealer and they first suggested fuel injection cleaner before paying them a visit.

What are some suggested fuel injector cleaners? I remember discussing this few months ago, not locating the thread.

Thanks!

Oh, my 200c fwd v6 has nearly 126k miles on it now.

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
Past three weeks I have noticed my engine running rougher and rougher at idle. Today it is getting scary running as rough as it is, especially when it is cold. No engine light, called dealer and they first suggested fuel injection cleaner before paying them a visit.

What are some suggested fuel injector cleaners? I remember discussing this few months ago, not locating the thread.

Thanks!

Oh, my 200c fwd v6 has nearly 126k miles on it now.
Most professional mechanics I have talked to recommend BG 44k and say to use as recommended, and don't spill any on your paint. It's expensive for cleaner in a bottle but if your injectors are actually dirty, it will clean them.

I had to replace an injector recently but the problem wasn't that it was clogged, it had a bad internal coil - an electrical issue with the injector itself.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most professional mechanics I have talked to recommend BG 44k and say to use as recommended, and don't spill any on your paint. It's expensive for cleaner in a bottle but if your injectors are actually dirty, it will clean them.

I had to replace an injector recently but the problem wasn't that it was clogged, it had a bad internal coil - an electrical issue with the injector itself.
Thanks, that is what I was looking for, I remember you recommended that before.

·
Registered
66 Posts
KIA and Hyundai RECOMMEND Chevron Techron... That's for their GDI engines where the intake valves get carbon build up because the fuel (gas) gets directly injected into the cylinders and they found that it worked the best...
You also might want to remove and clean the throttle body with carb/choke cleaner as it also gets clogged up with carbon and at 126k miles I'm sure that it is needed... The crankcase fumes gets fed into the throttle body to get burned and that's where the carbon comes from... I see on kia-forums many posters that have had that problem and this usually cures it..
Dave

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KIA and Hyundai RECOMMEND Chevron Techron... That's for their GDI engines where the intake valves get carbon build up because the fuel (gas) gets directly injected into the cylinders and they found that it worked the best...
You also might want to remove and clean the throttle body with carb/choke cleaner as it also gets clogged up with carbon and at 126k miles I'm sure that it is needed... The crankcase fumes gets fed into the throttle body to get burned and that's where the carbon comes from... I see on kia-forums many posters that have had that problem and this usually cures it..
Dave
I actually used the Chevron last night. I didn't have time to order and wait for the BG44 since I needed to drive nearly 400 miles today. Sadly to say, it's still acting up. But will be using premium fuel the next few fill ups to see if there are any changes.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you ever changed the spark plugs? Did you look at them recently to see what condition they are in?
Spark plugs were changed in January when the car had around 96, or 97k miles via the dealership. It was a bit under 100k miles. Got it done in January since furlough gave me plenty of time to do things like this.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
I actually used the Chevron last night. I didn't have time to order and wait for the BG44 since I needed to drive nearly 400 miles today. Sadly to say, it's still acting up. But will be using premium fuel the next few fill ups to see if there are any changes.
My experience with injector cleaner is that you must drive for an extended period after pouring the stuff in your tank.
And several full throttle bursts are helpful while the cleaner is in the tank. It takes a while to clean up the system.
I doubt any premium fuel will make a difference. ( just my opinion )

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My experience with injector cleaner is that you must drive for an extended period after pouring the stuff in your tank.
And several full throttle bursts are helpful while the cleaner is in the tank. It takes a while to clean up the system.
I doubt any premium fuel will make a difference. ( just my opinion )
Thanks, I'm only going to test out permium from BP and or Shell for the next 2 weeks. They have been advertising additional cleaner fluid on premium over regular. Was curious if it would actually work, so I'm going to test. Otherwise, I will switch back to 87 and sometimes 89 octane as the owners manual stipulates.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Both BG and Techron are good as well as cleaning the TB. I use Amsoil Performance Improver before oil changes. Hopefully you will get some results.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the fuel injection cleaner did not do what I had hoped. Yesterday it was running even more rough. This morning, pulled out of garage and check engine light (solid and not flashing) came on. So now have a code and will will take to dealer. Sadly, my car no longer has a warranty.....sigh....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for letting is know what it was. Wonder if the 2.4L is going to behave the same.
Actually found out this morning after the dealer had everything put back together, that the car was still running rough. Dealer researched and found the cams are worn out and need to be replaced. These are what caused the rough engine issue and the coil packs to start going.

Very surprised to find out that the 3.6 liter with only 126k miles that is supposed to be Chrysler highest quality engine, has worn out already after 5 years of usage. This has become a very expensive thing to fix. I truly enjoyed the car, but expected the car to last past 10 years and 200k miles before major engine work.

With this issue, the possible transmission issue I'm having, along with AC system going on the fritz as well, I'm trading the car and most likely not go back to Chrysler. I'm currently driving a new Altima as a rental, nice, but am thinking Accord or even a Camry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Chrysler has had ongoing problems with cams, valve guides, and valve seats wearing out on their 2011~2013 3.6L Pentastar engines and had extended the warranty on those engines to 10 years/150k miles

You might want to contact FCA (Fiat Chrysler of America) about your car and see if they will honor a warranty repair...
Here is a video on a 2018 Jeep 3.6l with problems also...
Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
Daves200s
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing