Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Chrysler 200 Limited, 2.4 with 62TE, 123K miles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The throttle body, that is. Picked up the 200 in my signature for my younger daughter to drive. The idle dipped/surged a bit when the A/C cycled. Changed the spark plugs which was super easy. I think it takes the same amount of time to disconnect/reconnect the battery as it does to remove and clean the throttle body :)

I was surprised at how dirty the TB was. Glad I took the time to pull and clean it, and it idles beautifully when the A/C cycles now. Definitely worth doing if you haven't cleaned yours in the past.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Carbon can build up in the throttle body bore & on the edge of the butterfly.
This can restrict incoming air at idle when the butterfly is closed & cause rough/low idle issues.
On the newer electronic throttle bodies (drive-by-wire), cleaning is less necessary because the PCM software will cycle the butterfly to 'sweep' the air gap at key-on.

Some shops will try and sell you a 'Throttle body service' as part of a tune-up. Unless you have idle concerns, don't bother.
It can be easily done with an old toothbrush, rag & solvent in a few minutes. Unless the build-up is really bad. you don't even have to remove the throttle body from the intake manifold.
It is one of those 'maintenance' things, like checking filters & fluid levels/conditions, cleaning battery terminals and checking tire pressures, etc.

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can be easily done with an old toothbrush, rag & solvent in a few minutes. Unless the build-up is really bad. you don't even have to remove the throttle body from the intake manifold.
It is one of those 'maintenance' things, like checking filters & fluid levels/conditions, cleaning battery terminals and checking tire pressures, etc.
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not really a fan of cleaning them in place, though I know plenty of folks do it. I don't think you get them cleaned as thoroughly and I don't like any of the junk getting into the manifold. This one took a little more time to remove than many others, but it's still worth doing IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dropped the transmission pan today and installed a new Mopar filter. The fluid looked/smelled pretty good for 123K miles, so I assume it was changed at some point. I took the opportunity to install a Dorman pan with a drain plug, and used a Fel-Pro gasket instead of RTV. Took right at 5 quarts. I'll do a couple drain-and-fills over the next few hundred miles.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,227 Posts
Be sure to use ATF+4 meeting Chrysler MS-9602 only.
Walmart Super tech ATF+4 may be your best deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts