Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would document my repairs to the suspension and some other issues on my 2015 200S.
I had originally made my appointment just to get an idea if my Mopar service contract would replace all those parts needed to get the suspension and ride back to original specs.
Unfortunately a CEL came on last week which added to the repairs needed. I don't care for the explanation I got to "fix" the CEL as it was described as wiring to the oil pressure sensor circuit. ( Anything is possible ! ) While investigating that, which required dropping the splash shield the tech said the oil pan is leaking, the idler pulley is noisy ( never heard it ) and the thermostat needs replacing. Of course with those repairs the advisor suggested other items not covered under the contract. A tune up ( no, spark plugs were already replaced at 95K miles ) coolant flush, which I agreed with since they are replacing the thermostat even though it was done at 100K, brake pads ( nope, already done ) and they wanted 3 hours labor to fix that wiring issue.
The suspension needed both lower control arms, both front and rear struts, both rear knuckles. All were approved by Mopar service contract center, which surprised me. Parts availability was not bad with most parts arriving in 2 to 3 days and one item being picked up a local dealer that had it in stock.
I am using a different dealer then previously. For a few reasons. The first being I lost trust in the selling dealers shop.
While I am not completely happy with this service department yet, especially with that one aspect of the so called repair related to the CEL, I will judge the final result after I get the car back.
That could take a full week or more.
Plus they never suggested a full alignment after the suspension repairs ?
I'll follow up after I get my car back.

· Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
3,087 Posts
Was it P0520? The oil pressure sensor has to 'breathe' to the surrounding air or it will set this code. For the test, the PCM is looking for an 'offset' or comparison between the ambient air pressure & the engine oil pressure.
If this 'passage to air' gets blocked, it can set the code even if the sensor and your oil pressure are good.
I have replaced the pigtail/connector for this code.
Font Screenshot Document Number Parallel

I'm glad that the contract paid for the suspension. It probably paid for itself right there. If you have never had a 4-wheel alignment, it might be worth paying the difference to get it done. Mine was off front & rear. At 20K miles, the tires were worn. I want to get good tire life which an alignment will help. Maybe that will be covered also?

When you get the car back, listen to the belt area with the hood up for noise. Belt pulley bearings do go bad. If you don't hear anything unusual, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: fltru103

· Banned
65 Posts
You would think that after replacing suspension components that they would do an alignment. They don't, and they hardly ever recommend it, let alone warn you about it. I use a lug to secure the rotor to the hub with the wheel off when I do suspension work. I measure the rotor to a fixed point on the car, and mark it down. So, when I replace a suspension part, I can check that measurement to be sure the toe is set to where it was, within 1/8". Tierod parts, and control arms will change the alignment. Not all parts are created equally either. An aftermarket LCA can be a tad too long, or a tad too short, and pull or push the toe in or out.

What I liked with Euro cars, is in their service manuals they give the measurement of the tie-rod to tie-rod end for proper "factory" toe. However, you must be using ALL factory parts...

· Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was it P0520?
Yes it was.
I'm glad that the contract paid for the suspension. It probably paid for itself right there. If you have never had a 4-wheel alignment, it might be worth paying the difference to get it done. Mine was off front & rear. At 20K miles, the tires were worn. I want to get good tire life which an alignment will help. Maybe that will be covered also?
It did pay for itself. I bought that contract online and got a great price back in 2014.
I will get a 4 wheel alignment done after I get it back. I know a garage with a new Hunter alignment rack. ( Alignments not covered ! ) Always read the fine print. I found out the rental car coverage stopped at 7 years or 100K, and trip interruption coverage stopped then also.

· Registered
2015 200S 3.6L AWD- 2013 Dodge GC R/T- 1997 VW GTI VR6- (2) 1984 Dodge Rampage 2.5L TII
39 Posts
Thanks for posting this and keeping us all informed. Everything is looking alright with my 2015 200S AWD at this time, but I know it's just a matter of time and miles before I'll be looking at the same, or similar things. When I bought my car in November of 2021 with over 250,000 miles that I was going to face something like your situation eventually.

The car had a set of Nexen OEM brand of tires that were worn about 50%, so I opted to have a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tires and have a 4 wheel alignment done. After 8,000 miles on the car and tires it appears all is good. My experience with this car has been awesome in spite of a couple issues I've posted in the past- ;)

Hope your experience to get the car straighten out turns out great!

· Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry my computer has been down for the last week.
Just got the call my 200 is finished ! I'm heading over later this afternoon to pick it up.
I will detail repairs and invoice tomorrow after driving it some. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

· Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another report.
No, it was not finished. The service advisor came up with another story about a "wrong" part.
Now it's supposed to be done Monday.
I have been very accommodating as I understand parts availability could be an issue.
However, Monday will be 3 weeks since I dropped the car at the dealer.
I was told the final cost, which exceeded the estimate I agreed with.
With the amount of repairs done I expected to see miscellaneous parts and supplies added to the invoice.
I'll carefully check the invoice when I pick up the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts