Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Swapped my 3.5inch boring cluster with the big Premium cluster!

20K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  200_S_AWD 
#1 ·
Hello all! The last week I found a premium 7in cluster on ebay for $150 with free return shipping so I thought hey lets give this a shot since no one has started a thread on this.
Just got the cluster in today and in order to take the old cluster out you need to:
  • remove radio bezel (all plastic clips)
  • remove side dash cover between drivers side door and dash (all plastic clips)
  • remove the panel in front of your knees below steering wheel (2 plastic push pins on bottom and 2 screws on left hand side) I just left it hang instead of taking all of the electrical connections off
  • remove the plastic piece that goes around the steering wheel that is holding the leather around the steering wheel (2 plastic clips, 1 on each side of steering wheel)
  • then remove the 2 screws holding the cluster bezel on (right above steering wheel) then pull the bezel off. (bunch of plastic clips) Note: the driver side vent is attached to it and it goes all the way to the right of the Uconnect system.
  • Remove the 4 screws holding the cluster in, pull it out and undo the one electrical connection in back
  • put in new cluster
  • go in reverse to put it all back together!
The only problem is that the milage does not match and the odometer flashes slowly. I will have to see if I can get it adjusted down the road, small price to pay for a much nicer cluster.
In the meantime I wrote down the miles from the old cluster and the new cluster so I know what my true milage is. From what I hear the milage is also stored in the BCM.
On the plus side I get a very nice 200s startup animation even though I only have the Limited.

Let me know if you have any question! (Sorry not sure how to rotate images on here)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
If the dealer does it properly, a flash will fix the odometer and blinking odo issues.

I would advise not to do the radio and dash at the same time without the dealer looking at your odometer first. In case it's not stored in the BCM or the BCM fries... because then you don't have the odo stored anywhere.

#7 ·
You need to go to the dealer and get them to flash your BCM in order to fix the odometer flashing issue. Then you'll be all set. Many did it before.

Reactions: chxlsev
#12 · (Edited)
I'm going to bring this back up - as i have an update on the topic.

I purchased a instrument cluster on ebay with the bigger screen and it does as said above - the mileage flashes.

I just returned from the dealership who did a proxy alignment on the cluster, and it did not correct the mileage. the rep also told me that they cannot perform a BCM flash as no such thing exists???

does anyone have any specific details as to what the dealership performed to get the mileage to match? (a picture of a receipt would be most useful)

thanks!

#13 ·
Yeah I still have yet to get the flashing fixed. I was going to give the dealer a call sometime this week (same one that did my Uconnect sales code.) In the meantime I put the old cluster back in and waited for my miles to match the premium cluster. Then once they matched I pulled over and swapped it! haha The miles still blink but at least the mileage matches.

#14 ·
keep me updated if you can get the dealer to fix it! Unfortunately my new cluster has fewer miles than my car, so it bothers me (on the inside) that the mileage isn't even accurate.

Apparently Chrysler sends re-manufactured clusters somewhere and has them reprogrammed and then sent to the dealership with the correct mileage... one tech i talked to said he has no idea who Chrysler sends them to, but that could be one route to getting this resolved.

#16 ·
So from what I've seen, this new gauge cluster is from a 2015 Chrysler 200, can you confirm that it will fit a 2013 Chrysler 200?

Thank you for your time.

G_howes99@hotmail.com
Chrysler introduced the "new" 200 for the 2015 model year so it stands to reason that a gauge cluster from that generation will not fit a prior generation that includes 2013.

#17 ·
A 2013 JS is a completely different car than the newer ('15-'17) UF.
You might try looking at an Avenger R/T cluster if it has more bells & whistles than yours?

We sent our electronics out to an Authorized Chrysler Electronics repair/exchange depot. These depots are located throughout the country.
The one I used was United Radio in Syracuse, NY:
They could repair clusters and audio systems, install correct mileage and reconfigure modules. Nice people.

#18 ·
So I just did the swap from 3.5 to 7". I have the limited, the new one was from an S. I get a "blind spot unavailable needs service" message, and of course incorrect mileage and flashing odometer. Should i attempt to bring to the dealer to try a proxi or is it not worth it? I really just want the blind spot message to stop coming up. But i would like the odometer to be right too. I saw some people use alfaOBD, can i perform a proxi update using that along with OBD link MX2+ ? I'd rather pay the 100 vs the 125 the dealer would charge whether or not they fix or not. What should i do?

#19 ·
Alfaobd only makes it communicate with the car. So once you do a proxy the cluster should then behave and only provide options that are in your car. There is no way to change the odometer that I know of, using alfaobd. I am also not that experienced with it. I just run the proxy to make everything play nice.

#21 ·
The fuel tanks are all the same size. There are 2 fuel pump/senders available. I don't know the difference. Enter your vehicle into the 'Check Fit' and then enter the vehicle that the cluster came out of to see if there is a difference?

Has the BCM and cluster been changed over to your VIN?
I don't see any provision to change the fuel economy (fuel level drop/distance) equation.

Only an authorized FCA electronics repair depot (see post #17) can adjust things like displayed mileage. There are depots across NAFTA. This cuts down on odometer fraud. Be prepared to prove that you own the cluster and the car it is going into with mileage verification.
Mileage is also stored in the PCM, for a confirmation back-up and for warranty return purposes.

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Rectangle

Font Art Pattern Parallel Number

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.