Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My first problem with 200c☹. When i drive in traffic temperature run to 118 celcius degree and the fan doesn't start. But When engine have more than 1500rpm problem disappears, temperature back to half of indicator, fan start. In last time I fix Oil radiator, i changed cooling fluid, and cap of cooling floid container. My service check thermostat. It is OK. Meybe some one in can help me? Thank You for any suggestion.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hello. My first problem with 200c☹. When i drive in traffic temperature run to 118 celcius degree and the fan doesn't start. But When engine have more than 1500rpm problem disappears, temperature back to half of indicator, fan start. In last time I fix Oil radiator, i changed cooling fluid, and cap of cooling floid container. My service check thermostat. It is OK. Meybe some one in can help me? Thank You for any suggestion.
118 cel is pretty normal for this car. The fan should come on if I gets a little hotter. Should turn on at 235 deg. Keep driving and keep an eye on it. Don't worry unless you see 255 deg w no fan.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Normal if you are in a hot climate. Fan should come on at 235deg. If its not getting much hotter, your OK

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its not normal

What is the level of coolant ??

I have had the same problem before

I had done three things to solve the issue

- Changing the Radiater Cap
- Lowering the coolant fluid level to be exactly at Minimum mark !!
- bleeding the air from bleeder valve

My temps went back to 100 - 104 C

I went to delearship multiple times, they couldn’t identify why engine gauge is at 2/3 and engine coolant at 2/3 when in idle or in traffic

I kept testing multiple things until I figure it out. I suspect coolant lvl is the reason.

·
Registered
35 Posts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jnOQDusL_lA

0:43

The bleeder valve is on top of the Thermostat

Don’t open it. Just loose it with a screwdriver when the car is cold

Make sure only water comes out thats when you know all the air inside your cooling system has been bleeded out.

Keep your eyes on the reservoir , make sure it’s exactly at the Minimum level

Let me know how your car temps after that.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Make sure only water comes out thats when you know all the air inside your cooling system has been bleeded out.

It IS normal. When you're not moving your not getting as much flow through the radiator as with just fans. Your also not purging the hot air out of the engine bay that is really well sealed as you would if you're moving. Running the engine at a higher rpm makes the water pump move more fluid, cool it down. The catalysts absorb and put out a LOT of heat. They are packed in there tightly as well. What many dont realize is a hotter engine is better for emissions....to a certain point with NOx. Fuel economy is better when running lean, and lean creates heat. These engines are known to run on the hot side. It is normal. Like the dude said, don't worry until you see steam, smell a lot of coolant, or the light pops on. Although, I can sell you a mod to install a 180*f t-stat if you want instead of our normal 205*f? All this I'm saying is about the 3.6/3.2l v6, I have no idea about the 2.4l.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To clarify #

I meant keep the coolant at Max lvl while the car is cold.

Overdoing it and raising the coolant Above the max line even just by a tiny amount will cause overheaten problem !!

It misses up with the fan from my experience. The fan doesn’t operates unless it reaches a higher temps.

·
Registered
35 Posts

It IS normal. When you're not moving your not getting as much flow through the radiator as with just fans. Your also not purging the hot air out of the engine bay that is really well sealed as you would if you're moving. Running the engine at a higher rpm makes the water pump move more fluid, cool it down. The catalysts absorb and put out a LOT of heat. They are packed in there tightly as well. What many dont realize is a hotter engine is better for emissions....to a certain point with NOx. Fuel economy is better when running lean, and lean creates heat. These engines are known to run on the hot side. It is normal. Like the dude said, don't worry until you see steam, smell a lot of coolant, or the light pops on. Although, I can sell you a mod to install a 180*f t-stat if you want instead of our normal 205*f? All this I'm saying is about the 3.6/3.2l v6, I have no idea about the 2.4l.
Guess what

Thats why manufacturer create a fan !!
So when you stop at traffic, your fan cool down the car

Listen , I live in a country , the wheather temperature goes up to 120F in these days . Logically speaking , I should have higher temps than any owner. Because I live in a hot area

When I see my engine oil temps + Coolant gauges at 2/3 , its a red flag for me

I never saw my gauge came to more than 106 - 110 C thats only when I am reversing and changing gears to drive to park my car in a tight spot

Normal temps (Highway) : 97 - 99C / 206 - 210F
Normal temps (idle / on traffic) : 100 - 104C / 212 - 219F

Everyday I drive , I just look at all numbers ,

If you have more temps than that , trust me when I say this , you certainly have a problem. I know for sure because I had it in the past and managed to solved it and get my temps back to normal after solving the issue !!

Either there is an air in the system , or you put higher / lower of fluid or cap is defective , or something more than that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Believerguy...
I think there is a problem with the way the OP and you are measuring temps... He's using Fahrenheit and you are quoting Celsius...

Newer cars DO run much hotter and run the coolant under higher pressure all because of the "need" to have cleaner combustion and higher gas mileage...

When I recently acquired my salvage 2016 200s (46k miles) with front end damage (radiator) and repaired the damage I also was concerned about the coolant temperature climbing up to 230~235F until I did some research on these cars and found that it's normal but still quite unnerving to someone use to 180~190F temperatures... It still bothers me :)

I have read where others did lower the temperature and pressures by replacing the thermostat to a lower value but I wonder what this will do the the calibrations/actions the ECM/PCM will attempt to "correct" these changes... It may be detrimental to that engine, fuel economy, and performance ...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
It's fine. Seriously. I am on my third Chrysler 200 V6. It's good you watch your gauges but this is normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts