Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all have found out, these cars are sensitive when it comes to the battery.
Yesterday I was up and running around doing errands early. I stopped at two places. As I got back into my car at the second place, the car was dead. No dash lights, no starter engagement, nothing ! Couldn't even get the window to go up.
OK, I am familiar with this car and it's issues. We have owned this car now for more then 8 years. This is the second battery failure in this time. This particular battery lasted 3 years and 51 weeks. Just shy of 4 years. Less time then the OEM battery.
The auto parts store were I purchased the battery from now only sells tires and oil changes. I was told they no longer honor battery warranties. My 96 month Bosch pro-rated battery warranty was useless. Thanks to Pep Boys.
So I checked other parts stores and found each one sells one particular brand battery, but all run around $225 and up for this group size unit. Instead I went to Costco for an Interstate battery which cost $170 with tax, 3 years warranty. Seems the overall majority of new batteries carry a 3 year warranty. The pro-rated warranties have been fazed out.

So to sum it up, I replaced the battery, my car fired right up and all is good in Chrysler 200 land. Don't think you have a major issue when your car won't start, or all those "idiot" lights pop-up. There is a very good chance the battery is telling you it gave up.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm now on battery number 4. Two Mopar OEs, followed by two Autozone Duralast Gold. Just put the second Autozone in a couple months back. After the first OE failure at less than two years. I began paying attention to how well they would take a charge, and replaced the second OE after about two years, when it no longer could acquire a full charge. Then the first Duralast was replaced after about 39 months.

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm on my third battery as well. The OEM one lasted about 3 years, replaced it with a Duralast Gold which made it about 3.5 years and I'm now on another Duralast battery. The first failure was a bit more sudden where one morning it tried to crank, couldn't and all the electronics restarted, and then gave me a bunch of error messages. The battery was only reading 10 volts so I'm pretty sure a cell died. The second failure was a bit more typical where it wouldn't have enough power to start after sitting for a while but could start it if it had only been a short time since it was shut off.

In both cases I was able to get the car started using a portable booster pack. Definitely worth carrying one of those in the car for things like that.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,652 Posts
I had to get a new battery on the 2016 in 2019. I believe I replaced it a DieHard Silver at Advance Auto.
The DieHard name was a legend at Sears for decades.
Batteries (the price of lead) have gotten a lot more expensive recently.
The battery in the 2007 Caliber lasted 9 years.
I always carry a set of jumper cables with the spare tire. They would do me no good hanging up in the garage.
If not for me, to help someone else who was stranded.

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used to carry jumper cables but once I got a battery booster pack I started carrying that instead. Takes up less room and makes it easier to jump the car without needing to find someone else to give me a jump. I've used it to help others as well on occasion.

Reactions: Pennhaven

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm curious, how often do you have to charge the booster pack to make sure it's not dead when you need it?
Not very often at all unless I've used it. I bring it in and charge it 2-3 times a year, and even then it usually has a good amount of charge still in it when I do. Mine can also charge from the 12 volt outlet in the car so if I wanted to I could also plug it into the car on a long drive and let it top up off the car. Anytime I've used it to jump a car I'll charge it but I've done multiple jumps on a single charge with no problem when my battery died (start it in the morning to go to work, in the afternoon to leave work and go to Autozone to pick up a new battery, and then in the Autozone parking lot to drive home and change the battery).

·
Registered
34 Posts
As we all have found out, these cars are sensitive when it comes to the battery.
Yesterday I was up and running around doing errands early. I stopped at two places. As I got back into my car at the second place, the car was dead. No dash lights, no starter engagement, nothing ! Couldn't even get the window to go up.
OK, I am familiar with this car and it's issues. We have owned this car now for more then 8 years. This is the second battery failure in this time. This particular battery lasted 3 years and 51 weeks. Just shy of 4 years. Less time then the OEM battery.
The auto parts store were I purchased the battery from now only sells tires and oil changes. I was told they no longer honor battery warranties. My 96 month Bosch pro-rated battery warranty was useless. Thanks to Pep Boys.
So I checked other parts stores and found each one sells one particular brand battery, but all run around $225 and up for this group size unit. Instead I went to Costco for an Interstate battery which cost $170 with tax, 3 years warranty. Seems the overall majority of new batteries carry a 3 year warranty. The pro-rated warranties have been fazed out.

So to sum it up, I replaced the battery, my car fired right up and all is good in Chrysler 200 land. Don't think you have a major issue when your car won't start, or all those "idiot" lights pop-up. There is a very good chance the battery is telling you it gave up.
It may not have been your exact issue, but my experience has been that the OEM battery terminals are also garbage. Checking for poor connections at the terminals, and possibly upgrading to better terminals might help some people stretch their battery life longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts