Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Whoops...here is the picture...
Interesting. Ive had the antifreeze smell since day one. Dealer changed a hose clamp under warranty because I was also losing some coolant. That fixed the leak but the smell remains too this day, though not so bad. I think the smell comes form the poorly designed clips that hold the hoses too the coolant pipes. Why not one piece with reg hose clamps? Ill get some seepage from there when I push it hard but reg driving is fine. Hasnt been as bad lately...maybe because the hoses have swelled a bit over time and made the seal a little tighter? The coolant system design on this car sucks..period. Ive also changed the cap too a lower psi too help the seepage and it seems too be working. I did use a coolant boost so I dont lose any boil over protection.

·
Super Moderator
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It seemed ok after the cap replacement but it's fixed for sure now with the 2015 Chrysler 200S AWD upgrade kit I found at the dealer.
"Upgrade kit" (traded in my 2013 200 S V6 for a 2015 200 S AWD) didn't work to fix the smell - in fact the radiator went out on the 2015. I have concluded this is just how they are.

I think the smell comes form the poorly designed clips that hold the hoses too the coolant pipes. The coolant system design on this car sucks..period.
I agree, both generations - not the greatest design. In fact come to think of it, it's design reminds me of Mitsubishi, years ago I had a Hyundai Excel (Korean built Mitsubishi Precis, 100% identical car besides decals... I didn't buy it, I inherited it when I married my wife), the radiator itself being plastic and aluminum - the aluminum coolant pipe on the top that connects to the radiator with a hose... the hose clamp style... *goose bumps* whoa, did they not bother to update some of the design over the years from the DSM days - JA, JX, JR platforms shared with Mitsu? :eek:

I get it if something works don't change it to save on R&D $$, but if it's not working that well...

I still like the car and am keeping it, and it's good to know what I am up against, every car has issues I don't care who makes it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've never had the coolant smell on my 13'. You need to put a coolant pressure tester on the car and let it set overnight. Probably the water pump weep hole. The steam comes in through the cabin fresh air intake.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts