Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler 200s 3.6L AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this morning I went to start up my car and I heard this awful whining noise I guess you can call it, 2 weeks ago I replaced my water pump becuase I was having issues with overheating, which seemed to have solved that, I DID NOT change the serpentine belt which now I’m thinking I probably should’ve, I assume that’s what this awful noise is, I’ve done some re search on it and found it could be one of three things, the belt, (obviously) the idler pulley bearing or the tensioner pulley bearing, I will definitely change the belt and I feel it would make sense to change the two pulleys if I’m going to be changing the belt.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
A belt that is too loose or too tight can make noise. I try to get on the marks left behind by the last washer positions to have the belt at the same tension as it was before.

A spritz of water on a moving belt should change or stop the noise temporarily. Belt dressings are not recommended and can make it worse.

If coolant got on the belt during the water pump service, try a soap and water wash and rinse.
Belts usually squeak or screech. If you are describing a whining noise after start-up, it may be an idler pulley.

See TSB # 07-001-16:

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a loud high frequency noise that happens within 20 seconds of engine startup and lasts about 90 seconds intermittently during a cold engine start, approximately 0°C (32°F) and below.

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler 200s 3.6L AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
honestly I might just replace it. I’m certain that belt hasn’t been changed since I’ve owned the car, So I’m pretty sure I need a new belt, regardless. And I might as well change the idler pulley, which is fairly easy to change if I’m correct, lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts