Chrysler 200 Forum banner

TIPM Replacement

5K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Redram 
#1 ·
I took my 2014 (v6) into dealership for intermittent check engine and traction control lights coming on. Dealership wants about $2400.00 to replace TIPM. Is buying one online - programmed to VIN a viable option?

#2 ·
As long as this was a competent diagnosis, you could save money installing a TIPM yourself.
Disconnect the neg (-) terminal of the battery, dismount and unplug the old one, plug in and mount the new one, reconnect the battery and perform a hard reset. Your TIPM part # should be on a label affixed to the unit.

There are services online for exchanging/rebuilding these. I have no experience with any of them. I have done business with United Radio in Syracuse NY, an authorized Chrysler electronic repair depot.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille

Green Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font

Reactions: GLHS60
#4 ·
There should be a fault code stored in the ABS module. We need to start with this code.
The dealer may have guessed wrong. Did a shop replace it or did you do the work?

#5 ·
I will borrow my friends scanner again. The dealership was ready to lighten my bank acount by $2400, so I replaced the unit myself. It may be possible that I did not have a solid enough connection for the positive and negative leads for the hard reset.

#6 ·
It appears the dealership did not provide a competent diagnosis. Although the CHECK ENGINE light has not come back on, the TRACTION light does come on at irregular intervals some time after I first start the up car. It could be a 30-minute time, or even more than an hour.

The company that sold the TIPM to me is MAKS. One customer support rep sent a short video to me, which suggests I purchase a 900-dollar scanner to restore the car's system. The next day after viewing the video, I called back and another rep suggested just buying a cheap scanner to clear the codes, which doesn't resolve the issue. So that's an apparent dead end,

#7 ·
Try this first:
Font Art Symmetry Pattern Parallel

Then if you need to initialize the TIPM or re-initialize the ABS, find a competent technician with a capable scan tool. I wouldn't go out and buy a tool for this, but I would pay a $100 (?) shop fee to reset & initialize the system With a capable scan tool like a WiTech2 or equivalent.

If the TRACTION light is coming on, a fault code may be stored in the ABS module. TRACTION resides in the ABS.
Did MAKS say the TIPM was plug n' play?
Font Screenshot Number Electric blue Document

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

Font Rectangle Number Circle Document

Reactions: High Desert
#8 ·
Try this first:
View attachment 59317
Then if you need to initialize the TIPM or re-initialize the ABS, find a competent technician with a capable scan tool. I wouldn't go out and buy a tool for this, but I would pay a $100 (?) shop fee to reset & initialize the system With a capable scan tool like a WiTech2 or equivalent.

If the TRACTION light is coming on, a fault code may be stored in the ABS module. TRACTION resides in the ABS.
Did MAKS say the TIPM was plug n' play?
View attachment 59318
View attachment 59320
View attachment 59319
Thank you. The detailed instructions are appreciated. When I received the TIPM, I was provided a link for a video on how to replace the unit. One thing with these cars with the battery in the fender well, is that disconnecting just the positive and negative leads under the hood, and bringing them together is not the same as going directly to the battery. After raising the car and going through the fender well, I had the positive and negative leads together at least 24 hours, hoping it would provide a sufficient capacitor drain.
I'm going to take the car in for an oil change. I will also request a Restore Vehicle Reconfiguration procedure.

#10 ·
The original diagnosis may have been wrong? Are they the same fault codes as before? While TIPMs can fail, everything else must be ruled out first. Except for internal errors, the TIPM is the 'last house on the block' when troubleshooting these.

I would begin by having a good (competent, trained technician with the correct tools) try to restore & verify the system. If it doesn't restore or verify due to the fault codes, then the fault codes will need addressing first.

#11 ·
The original diagnosis may have been wrong? Are they the same fault codes as before? While TIPMs can fail, everything else must be ruled out first. Except for internal errors, the TIPM is the 'last house on the block' when troubleshooting these.

I would begin by having a good (competent, trained technician with the correct tools) try to restore & verify the system. If it doesn't restore or verify due to the fault codes, then the fault codes will need addressing first.
EPILOG: I took your comment about "the last house on the block" comment to heart, and reran the scanner.

It seems TIPM may have been part of issue initially, but after looking at the remaining code; and subsequent You Tube videos, I replaced the brake petal switch. I wasn't aware my cruise control hadn't been working either.

It took about 20 miles for check engine light to clear. Cruise control is now functional. At this point I'm cautiously optimistic. I shudder to think what may have happened if I gave the dealership $2400 for TIPM replacement, and issue still wasn't resolved. Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.