Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My tires are about at the end of their life. This makes me happy since they are the stock LS2s that came with the car. Now I've been looking around at what to replace them with and have seen conflicting ideas and recommendations. All of these have been moderately old so I wanted to get some updated advice. My car is a 2011 Limited so I guess that puts me at 225/R50 18 from what I gather.

I've read great things about the Conti ExtremeContact DWS tires and was ready to pull the trigger until I Googled them and and read some bad reports. I live in Illinois outside Chicago and travel up to Michigan a decent amount. So something good for winter is definitely a requirement. I like having a good road hugging ride that gives me good traction in crappy conditions as well as good weather. I'm also looking for a smooth ride. Personally I miss the days of the old Cadillacs where it was like riding in a boat :rolleyes:. You could only barely feel you were moving and the car just glided along. Or as my wife would call it "ride like an old man car". No offense, while the 200 certainly looks more grown up that my last car I would never call it an "old man car" :cool:

If I don't have to get separate summer and winter tires/wheels that would be preferable. In the past I've always understood that all seasons were not truly that though. I'm taking a road trip on November so I'll be changing up around mid September or October.

So with all that said (and sorry about the rambling) what do you guys and gals think about for a tire upgrade?

All comments and advice is appreciated.

-Jeff

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just put the Continental True Contact tires on my 2013. Could not be happier with them. Quiet, excellent wet/dry traction, very good ride and handling.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BJoe but why would you get 235 vs 225? wouldn't you have problems not using the right size tire?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I wanted a wider tire for the car as well as a higher performance one, especially having a V-6 car with the Eagle LS2 tires, plus I thought the slightly wider tire would look better too. Not only did it change the way the car performed 100%, it also changed the car's appearance, or as Dad put it, gave the car a more aggressive, business like stance.........then again, he stuffed L60-15's on all four corners of the 440 6-Pack, 4-Speed, Super Track Pack Charger he and Mom used to have and all of out XJ Cherokees eventually wore 235/75R15 tires (mine should have had 215/75R15 Eagle LS's on it from the factory, can't imagine how bad THOSE sucked after 34k with the LS2!)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I wanted a wider tire for the car as well as a higher performance one, especially having a V-6 car with the Eagle LS2 tires, plus I thought the slightly wider tire would look better too. Not only did it change the way the car performed 100%, it also changed the car's appearance, or as Dad put it, gave the car a more aggressive, business like stance.........then again, he stuffed L60-15's on all four corners of the 440 6-Pack, 4-Speed, Super Track Pack Charger he and Mom used to have and all of out XJ Cherokees eventually wore 235/75R15 tires (mine should have had 215/75R15 Eagle LS's on it from the factory, can't imagine how bad THOSE sucked after 34k with the LS2!)
Hey Joe, Those are 18" wheels? They look like the 17" touring wheels to me....

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yup, they're the factory optional 18's, I would have prefered the 17's, but they didn't have a black, V-6 one on the lot with them when I bought the car.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yup, they're the factory optional 18's, I would have prefered the 17's, but they didn't have a black, V-6 one on the lot with them when I bought the car.
HA, want to trade your 18's for my 17's? LOL you'll love my Michelin's....... LMAO

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will running a 235 vs a 225 change how the speedometer/odometer read? I'd be leery of changing the tire size since I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It did a little bit, same when I put the 235/75R15 Wrangler's on my XJ too. I think the speedo can be electronically recalibrated with the Diablosport tuner, with my XJ, I would need to swap out the the speedo cable drive gear in either the trans or t-case......I don't remember where it's at on those.

·
Registered
811 Posts
THIS SITE will let you punch in your current tire size and also the replacement tire size. It will compare both tires as they will fit in your wheel well and also tell you exactly what difference it will make to your speedometer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got these for my 2012 back in April and so far, I do not regret the purchase one bit, probably won't see much use this winter, since I plan to continue using my Jeep.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A/S&partnum=35WR8GFC2AS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

You can get them in stock sizes for both generations of 200 (and I believe the Sebring and all the Avengers), but these are 235/50ZR18 instead of the stock 225/50TR18.

This really looks good! I'm trying to change my tires, this is a good deal. Thank you man!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2012 with the V-6 and 18 inch wheels and live in northern Indiana so have driven in the snow. I have had the Continental DWS-06 extreme contact and currently have Cooper Zeon RS3-G1s. The DWS-06 may have done a little better in the winter, but the Coopers seem like a better overall tire at least to me. The only thing is the tread life. The DWS-06s were shot after 28,000 miles and the Coopers look like they will be similar if not a little worse before they are worn out.
Personally the next set of tires I get will probably go back to a T rated with a higher mileage rating, although I know I will be trading off certain other handling characteristics.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I’ve had Firestone Firehawk A/S in 235/50VR18 on mine since 2018, not quite as good as the BFG’s, but still work good!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts