Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,688 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Does the repair estimate make it not worth it?
How is the rest of the car? Any major upcoming work on the horizon?

Consider your options. The car is paid off? Could you comfortably afford repairs or a replacement car?
If it is just the MultiAir (2.4L) oil solenoids, their replacement isn't a difficult job. Are they the cause of the low compression?

What fault codes do you have? How many miles?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mileage is 75432. ...techs didn't give me the codes, but I swapped coils and sparkplugs before I took it to the dealership.

Any codes I saw didn't address low compression just the misfires.

·
Administrator
2,688 Posts
An auto parts store should be able to read the codes for free. Get a printout or take a screen shot of the tool display?
I'm interested in any oil control valve solenoid codes.

Rectangle Mammal Font Parallel Magenta

There was an easy PCM software update that addressed 'out of range' faults (among others), if it hasn't been done.

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Administrator
2,688 Posts
Ok, the #1 cylinder is misfiring. It could be an ignition, fuel or a mechanical (timing or compression) problem.
It may also be a symptom of something else. What are the other 14 fault codes?
This may all be caused by one failed part or issue setting all these codes.

Font Screenshot Document Number Letter

·
Administrator
2,688 Posts
If you can get a more detailed (itemized) estimate of what was found & the repairs needed, I can probably figure out what happened and what it needs better.

The image in post #5 says there a total of 15 stored fault codes:
Azure Rectangle Font Line Sky

The image in post #7 adds 4 more:

Rectangle Font Parallel Signage Engineering

Seeing all the codes would help tremendously. We can look at the 'Possible Causes' for each code & see what they share in common. This will point us to the area that needs a closer look.
The O2 code (P2096) doesn't seem related to the others. It can be caused by something as simple as an exhaust leak. Can you hear an exhaust leak under the car?
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Electric blue

The other codes are valve train related. They can happen because of something as simple as wrong oil or oil filter.
Is it the correct 5W-20 motor oil meeting Chrysler MS-6395 with an approved filter?

If the solenoids are 'sticking', there is a cleaning procedure for them that can be performed with a capable (higher-end) scan tool.

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

Product Azure Rectangle Font Material property

Rectangle Font Circle Art Number

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll get the comprehensive scan tomorrow. If it's the wrong oil and filter then I need to never go to that dealership again. They changed the oil and filter when I went last time.

·
Administrator
2,688 Posts
If it was changed at a Chrysler dealership, I would think it was the correct oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts